There are 313 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wonder if they want to use him like Sproles? James will likely be our fastest RB, so will likely be used in the slot, and similar to how New Orleans used Bush and Sproles. How is James 40 times? What caused him to drop so much prior to the draft?
We have a LJames thread, don't make a new thread to compare or discuss him
Originally posted by Chief:
James: 5'8" 195lbs. 22 years old.
4.45 40 yard dash
2010 Doak Walker Award
2010 All-American (Unanimous)
2010 First-team All-Pac 10
2009 Second-team All-Pac 10
2009 Associated Press third-team All-America
2009 Football Writers Association of America Freshman All-America
2010 NCAA Rushing Leader (1,731 yards)
Oregon's career rushing leader
2011 Pac-12 Championship Game MVP
College stats: 5082 yards, 6.6ypc, 53 rushing TD's.
3 years

Hunter: 5'7" 199lbs. 23 years old
4.53 40 yard dash
First-team All-American (2008, 2010)
College stats: 4181 yards, 5.9ypc, 37 rushing TD's
4 years

LaMichael James looks a LOT faster than 4.45 on videos. He is one of the quickest guys I have ever seen.
It is impossible to predict what the 49er front office will do next. Only thing you can say is that it is probably a good thing whatever they do.... lol
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ajanke:
James had a better 40 time than 4.45 didn't he? maybe pro day or something.

In pads, dude is on a different level than everyone else. This is why naked 40 times really mean nothing.

I'm impressed by his constant production, year after year. Proves he's durable.
I love competition....

Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
LaMichael James

Both Anthony Dixon and Brandon Jacobs, you are now on notice. Bring it, or go home!
Originally posted by martysofresh:
ya kno, he's not somebody I wanted but im kinda happy we have him. Really wanted Turbin though. Lookin forward to seein what Hunter/James does in the years to come

I agree, you stole the words right out of my mouth. I was hoping to see an every down back with good hands...Turbin. I though Turbin would be there in the 3rd, and here we could have gone best available, or D-line for depth. I do like the idea of James as a slot receiver/3rd down back/punt returner, but is seems kinda high spot to pick the guy. I live in Oregon, and was stoked to see JH run the "fly sweep" a play every Oregon high school runs, Ginn ran it pretty well. JH saw this play run at him over and over by Oregen, and it was sally James how ran it...I got a feeling we are going to see more fly sweep this season!

I just have to keep reminding myself we don't suck anymore, and we don't pick low in the draft, and we don't have many needs, we really are good enough that we are drafting back-ups not starters!
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by Chief:
James: 5'8" 195lbs. 22 years old.
4.45 40 yard dash
2010 Doak Walker Award
2010 All-American (Unanimous)
2010 First-team All-Pac 10
2009 Second-team All-Pac 10
2009 Associated Press third-team All-America
2009 Football Writers Association of America Freshman All-America
2010 NCAA Rushing Leader (1,731 yards)
Oregon's career rushing leader
2011 Pac-12 Championship Game MVP
College stats: 5082 yards, 6.6ypc, 53 rushing TD's.
3 years

Hunter: 5'7" 199lbs. 23 years old
4.53 40 yard dash
First-team All-American (2008, 2010)
College stats: 4181 yards, 5.9ypc, 37 rushing TD's
4 years

LaMichael James looks a LOT faster than 4.45 on videos. He is one of the quickest guys I have ever seen.

I thought it was 4.35...
  • kray28
  • Veteran

Quickness and speed aren't exactly the same thing. But there is such a thing as 'football speed". It's how fast you are on the field with pads and cleats.

Jerry Rice had a pretty mediocre 40 time (4.7 I believe, which would probably drop him from most draft boards today), but he has excellent football speed. If James had a poor outing at the combine and ran some bad sprints, it doesn't take aay how fast he is on the field.
Originally posted by kray28:

Quickness and speed aren't exactly the same thing. But there is such a thing as 'football speed". It's how fast you are on the field with pads and cleats.

Jerry Rice had a pretty mediocre 40 time (4.7 I believe, which would probably drop him from most draft boards today), but he has excellent football speed. If James had a poor outing at the combine and ran some bad sprints, it doesn't take aay how fast he is on the field.
He seems to have a really quick first step and cutback step. He changes direction really fast.

They can use the triple option with Kaep, Hunter, L. James, and maybe Miller... What redzone problem!
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
And my favorite part about him is that he always ALWAYS handed the ball off to the ref every time he scored.

I can't believe you like this pick.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by martysofresh:
ya kno, he's not somebody I wanted but im kinda happy we have him. Really wanted Turbin though. Lookin forward to seein what Hunter/James does in the years to come

I agree, you stole the words right out of my mouth. I was hoping to see an every down back with good hands...Turbin. I though Turbin would be there in the 3rd, and here we could have gone best available, or D-line for depth. I do like the idea of James as a slot receiver/3rd down back/punt returner, but is seems kinda high spot to pick the guy. I live in Oregon, and was stoked to see JH run the "fly sweep" a play every Oregon high school runs, Ginn ran it pretty well. JH saw this play run at him over and over by Oregen, and it was sally James how ran it...I got a feeling we are going to see more fly sweep this season!

I just have to keep reminding myself we don't suck anymore, and we don't pick low in the draft, and we don't have many needs, we really are good enough that we are drafting back-ups not starters!

Just remember, if this is Gore's swansong year, next year is packed with high level RB's that can be every down backs. LaMichael is more of super versatile guy, who they will try to teach how to return kicks and punts a bit better and then move him all over the place to try to get him into space. They will see how good his hands are and how good his route running can be and they will probably move him around packages and even split him out with guys like Gore and Hunter still on the field.
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Apr 28, 2012 at 8:13 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

My fave James moment at Oregon!

This is what I notice about most of his runs in the highlights, the guy when out on the edge rather get knocked out of bounds than run out. He will head back in field and try and get as much yards possible and will take a hit from a DB. hes got twinkle toes when out on the edges thats for sure.

edit:

I just notice Im repeating myself in a earlier post in this thread lol.
[ Edited by ace49ers on Apr 28, 2012 at 8:23 AM ]
Wow that was a sick run
Share 49ersWebzone