LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 409 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Give him 2-3 years, pack on another 15-20 pounds of muscle and he could be the next Ladanian Tomlinson.

Why slow that train down with all that weight? He already had to gain 20 pounds just to get closer to "ideal" weight. I would rather see hunter pack on some pounds and become the feature back.

I'm not saying he has to, but LT played at around 210 for most of his career and it didn't slow him down one bit (until he just got old, of course). LmJ will just naturally get bigger as he gets older, but in the next few years, it's not likely to slow him down much if at all.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
I just watched some highlights during his career and I took away two negatives.

1) when he faced LSU, a NFL style defense in terms of talent, he was 18 rushes for 54 yards. Not overly impressive.
2) He looks less explosive in 2011 than he did 2009. It's probably the wear and tear on his body. Did he accumulate too many miles in college?

With that said, he shouldn't be the feature back, so that would probably remedy some of my concerns.

That particular game the Tigers keyed on the rush attack because they knew Thomas could not beat them by himself.

same reason for #2 as #1 -- he was keyed on a lot in 2011, its why I think DeAnthony Thomas and even Kenjon Barner had such great years. Teams werent expecting either them to be so good, especially Thomas. But admittedly in 2011 James was hurt, he had that freakish Dislocated Elbow and also I think sprained an ankle that went unnoticed due to the success of Thomas and Barner.
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:36 PM ]
I think after Gore retires, Hunter and James will split time, so as not to wear either player down. Both players can be used a lot of different ways, so both can be used on the field at the same time.
Originally posted by fan49:
dont know if this has been posted but this will get u excited if your not already hes plenty fast with pads on

Give him 2-3 years, pack on another 15-20 pounds of muscle and he could be the next Ladanian Tomlinson.

That was the first video that came up on YouTube when looking for footage of him, but it's a terrible reel for getting any kind of perspective on him. It's all zoomed in and edited to where you can't see how the play ended up or how it developed. Half it's in slow-motion. Wtf does a series of close-up shots of him for 10% of the play in slow motion to some exciting music show anyone? It annoyed me.

A couple of other videos are definitely exciting though.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 28, 2012 at 12:26 AM ]
I love the LeMichael James pick; very exciting. We got a lot of RB's now though. Dixon is as good as gone, wish him the best of luck. LaMichael better start learning how to catch the ball well out of the backfield so he can get his touches...
split back sets will be deadly with this guy and Gore or Hunter. every one of them can catch a pass and make people miss but this guy and hunter actually have the blazing speed to take it all the way in, couple that with our new deep threats and we have a vicious offense!!!
Originally posted by mug0mug:
dont know if this has been posted but this will get u excited if your not already hes plenty fast with pads on

That was the first video that came up on YouTube when looking for footage of him, but it's a terrible reel for getting any kind of perspective on him. It's all zoomed in and edited to where you can't see how the play ended up or how it developed. Half it's in slow-motion. Wtf does a series of close-up shots of him for 10% of the play in slow motion to some exciting music show anyone? It annoyed me.

And just look at a Gore video and what he does and how good he can look, not against sketchy college D's, but in he NFL, to remind those that are 'over' Gore what he is. He gets north/south like noone else and no other back on our team can break tackles like him.

[ Edited by mug0mug on Apr 28, 2012 at 12:27 AM ]
i dont know why people are getting down on Gore. hes gonna have a huge year with the new guys resting him up. Gore may not have top end speed to finish off his runs but he never had that in the first place. no one is better than a healthy Gore when it comes to working through 8 and 9 man boxes and still breaking off huge chunks of yardage. i can only imagine how big a year he'll have with legit deep threats and the two speedsters in the backfield to rotate him with or go split back. for once in his life people wont be keying in on just him and VD. LaMichael James and Jenkins, Moss, Manningham, Ginn, Kyle williams, Hunter, VD. we accumulated quite a bit of speed this year to allow everyone to get open more.
Originally posted by mike:

Why slow that train down with all that weight? He already had to gain 20 pounds just to get closer to "ideal" weight. I would rather see hunter pack on some pounds and become the feature back.
Wait, I'd give him 10 to 15 max... Gore will start, hunter is the back up, This kid will play special teams, dixon proved nothing on 3rd down, this kid will get a chance to do that. Jacobs will be lol goaline, short yards, Redzone help lol.

Also, In the future, hunter, James, and another draft pick, stanford used 3 different backs.

And just look at a Gore video and what he does and how good he can look, not against sketchy college D's, but in he NFL, to remind those that are 'over' Gore what he is. He gets north/south like noone else and no other back on our team can break tackles like him.

That video is so sick. The run at 2:24 against the rams is just sick. One of my favorites of all time. He shows the power he has hitting the hole and breaking through the tackle, then his cuts as he evades tacklers, then the vision to cut is back and leave a gang of tacklers in his dust. Just awesome.

Gore isn't like that anymore
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Gore isn't like that anymore

hes not 24 anymore but i guaranty you that itll look like he is with a 7 man box staring at him for once in his life lol. we have way too much speed to be affraid of to stack the box anymore and smith proved last year that he can beat teams through the air as well. s**ts gonna go down next year. i expect Gore to have a great year. should be nice and healthy

No Doubt, Favorite Niner player outside of Jerry Rice and Steve Young, and Charles Haley, on and on and on... Lol Favorite niner Running back of all time. 3 rounder two blow knees, a great story and hard life for a really great guy.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Prisco gave the James pick a D because he thinks we don't need him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/18862737/grades-2012-nfl-draft-round-2

Why? Don't they have Kendall Hunter? Is it to help the return game? Weird pick, even though I like the player.
Matt Miller was perplexed as well......think we are covering the bases. When Gore retires we go RB again...but we should be good for 2 years now.

The secret plan is to turn this team into a shotgun based offense.
Tragic if Frank doesn't end up with a superbowl ring..... Rodger Craig gets one....or three i mean.... this guy sure as f**k needs to get one.
Share 49ersWebzone