LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 338 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hunter is a very underrated blocker as well. I have always seen hunter as the replacment to Gore TBH. I could not understand for the life of me why he didnt get more carries last season.

The future is hunter/James. Nice one two combo for sure. We dont really need a mauling RB in the system we use. Thats what the lineman are for. We need guys with quick bursts and good lateral movement that can finish runs.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Hunter is a very underrated blocker as well. I have always seen hunter as the replacment to Gore TBH. I could not understand for the life of me why he didnt get more carries last season.

The future is hunter/James. Nice one two combo for sure. We dont really need a mauling RB in the system we use. Thats what the lineman are for. We need guys with quick bursts and good lateral movement that can finish runs.

Jim disagrees
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mike:
As far as the Rice comparison, I just find it amazing that hunter posted better stats than rice did his rookie year. Very similar amount of carries(100ish), similar yards(400ish), but Hunter had those two touchdowns, rice had zero his rookie year. I know it means nothing if he doesn't improve on those numbers and probably gain some muscle this offseason too, but it's still eerie how close the stats were lol.

lmao, they actually had the same YPA of 4.2 as well. The bonus stat, Rice fumbled once and the other team recovered it, Hunter had no fumbles :D

Also Hunter had fewer receptions then Rice but had a better YPC then Rice by almost 4 yards.....Wow I never noticed the parallels before, I know its too much to read into it but thats awesome to see how comparable Hunter is to one of the best backs in the league when you look at their rookie years.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Jim disagrees

Link?
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
It's too bad that he was ranked 26th out of all RB's in this year's draft by the experts.

Those numbers mean dick.

Jim disagrees

Link?

• sfout
  • Veteran
"Just the unstoppable nature of him at the goal line," Harbaugh said when asked if he had particular recollections of the Oregon tailback. "You could not stop that team once they got inside the 5 yard line."

Most goal-line runners are boulder-shouldered bruisers who weigh upwards of 245 pounds. James is 195 pounds, but Harbaugh said he could envision James in a red-zone role - a problem area for the 49ers last year -- and much more.

lol could we have found our goal-line thumper?!?!

Jim disagrees

Link?

You gotta be Kidding me....

Funny that the two guys they have drafted the last two years look nothing like that.
Originally posted by mike:
I didn't like it at first glance either.

Then I watched that^ and saw how consistently explosive he is. He may only be 2 inches taller than hunter and similar weight, but he brings a different kind of speed. Where hunter is more likely to use his size to "hide" then do shifty moves to get separation, James is more of a straight up speed back. Look at his legs move when he's running, he reminds me of the road runner.

5:35

Jim disagrees

Link?

Funny that the two guys they have drafted the last two years look nothing like that.

who we draft has no baring on who else we use....the Jacobs signing is not about speed, its about mauling people. Just like Jim used Toby and like we have tried to use Gore, power always comes in handy.

• kray28
  • Veteran
Gore is going to lose carries to this guy. But Harbaugh will be hard pressed not to give him reps. He's that good.
[ Edited by kray28 on Apr 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM ]
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Love this pick. He'll be ready to take over Kendall Hunter's #2 RB spot once Kendall Hunter is ready to take over Frank Gore's #1 spot.

Jim disagrees

Link?

who we draft has no baring on who else we use....the Jacobs signing is not about speed, its about mauling people. Just like Jim used Toby and like we have tried to use Gore, power always comes in handy.

LOL Jacobs will be lucky to get two carries a game, if he even makes the roster. I dont understand what you are getting at TBH. Hunter and James are the future.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Jacobs might not even make the team bro. you sign bargains like him and Moss in case you dont land who you want in the draft. Jacobs is talented and I almost believe our FO when they say they might carry 6 WRs and 6 RBs(including Miller) but come on, you cant honestly think that Jacobs is a lock for the final 53 can you? This entire off season is about creating a log jam at skill positions and forcing the competition so we can ultimately field the best possible team. Jacobs is talented but come on, he's almost 30 and I dont know about you but I think there is ultimately only room for 1 RB who will be on the wrong side of 30 by the end of the season.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Think of all of the runs Gore broke loose on last year but couldn't finish. Now take those designed runs with a gamebreaker like James and the 49ers get 7 instead of 3.
Share 49ersWebzone