LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
When teams know that a marginal player is on the trade block, they swim like sharks seeing blood, waiting for the release. Can't expect more than a 6th or 7th rounder at best. Probably a 50% they get nothing and simply release him,

This.

I can't see anything higher than a low 6th.

On a practical level, I see him used as a deal sweetener to move up into another round. Like 2 7th's and LMJ for a low 5th [for instance w/out seeing a value chart]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
When teams know that a marginal player is on the trade block, they swim like sharks seeing blood, waiting for the release. Can't expect more than a 6th or 7th rounder at best. Probably a 50% they get nothing and simply release him,

This.

I can't see anything higher than a low 6th.

On a practical level, I see him used as a deal sweetener to move up into another round. Like 2 7th's and LMJ for a low 5th [for instance w/out seeing a value chart]
wonder if we would draft a wide out.rb/ cornerback with some sort of a combo of return skills. i would like to finally feel confident in the return game
I'm not happy about the LMJ trade talk. I really think if we just utilized him he would be effective. When we gave him a chance, he's played well and he did a nice job as a return man last year. My worst fear is he goes to another team and they utilize him correctly and he becomes just like Sproles. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Saints go after him with just that in mind.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
I'm not happy about the LMJ trade talk. I really think if we just utilized him he would be effective. When we gave him a chance, he's played well and he did a nice job as a return man last year. My worst fear is he goes to another team and they utilize him correctly and he becomes just like Sproles. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Saints go after him with just that in mind.

the worst thing we can do is worry about what happens when he goes to another team.. if the niners decide he does not fit with us or heaven forbid,, he just is not that good, then you give him to whoever gives you the best offer which is a low draft choice in my opinion. i think he was over rated as a punt returner and was average or a bit above in the kick return game,, surely we can do better. and this james= sproles is just silly in my opinion
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
dude is clearly over matched for the NFL game. get him out asap
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MarkD:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Trade him to the Chiefs

Trade him for two 2nd round pics

In all seriousness they just lost McCluster in FA.....
Originally posted by matt49er:

The Saints will be all over this and I bet Baalke knows this. We just aren't going to morph into the Spread offense most want in here. Period. We may see a few new wrinkles but nothing more and this trade-talk is an example of this (non-change in philosophy). So we need to get over that ASAP.

Also, we a have a tremendous recent history of letting players walk, who are cut or traded and who have done NOTHING since they left us: Sopoaga, Franklin, Haralson, Johnson, Goldson, etc. Walker has done the best but he WAS the Titan's offense and even he wasn't a big deal.

I do have to say though, that if James goes to the right team and is tapped into (used properly), I'd say he has the best chance to do something with his career of ALL the players we've cut/lost in FA/traded away.
If we package him with the 30th pick could we get up to the 28th pick?
Originally posted by cciowa:
wonder if we would draft a wide out.rb/ cornerback with some sort of a combo of return skills. i would like to finally feel confident in the return game

Would make excellent sense. The news coming out that LMJ is on the trade block would also indicate a move in that direction.

LMJ always scared me when he fielded punts.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
He hasn't really done much but doesn't get the rock too much either. I'm ok with trading him but we desperately need a KR/PR. I'm more excited about Lattimore getting some PT.

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Like him a lot, but if Roman/Harbs

Might as well ship him off to a team that will use him properly...

i hate roman as much as i love mayo's penis but i am starting to think he is just not that good and again i have no confidence in him to return a punt

He wasn't drafted in the 2nd round with the idea he'd only be a returner...he did very little of PR or KR at Oregon, although he was a solid KR if not spectacular, and though shaky as a PR was hands-down better than Kyle Williams. I think the "vision" of whoever wanted to draft him was that of an all-purpose back running sweeps, catching swings/screens, occasionally split wide or in the slot. When LMJ was finally given a shot in late-2012 when Hunter went down, he produced. But 2013 rolls around and he's back to wearing street clothes during games. His "failure" in SF is more about a disconnect with HarBaalke and the unwillingness/inability of HaRo to utilize LMJ's skill set.
Only play that stands out in my mind (that wasn't on special teams) is his fumble in the Super Bowl and walking into the end zone against the Falcons. And his whining on Twitter.

Good riddance.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chico:
He hasn't really done much but doesn't get the rock too much either. I'm ok with trading him but we desperately need a KR/PR. I'm more excited about Lattimore getting some PT.

I think one of the reasons LMJ's being considered for trade is that I don't think he's a power runner between the tackles like a Tony Dorsett or a Kendal Hunter. Both these guys - even though they are small - can power off tackle and use their speed to hit a home run. I haven't seen enough inside power running and breaking tackles from LMJ to justify Harbaugh keeping him. He's more of a spread RB that needs the ball in space. Ultimately though I think we end up keeping LMJ, he'll be a deadly weapon if we go to the spread attack.
Saints?

Sean Payton will turn him into a Pro-Bowler.
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Saints?

Sean Payton will turn him into a Pro-Bowler.

Share 49ersWebzone