LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 358 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by titan:
Nothing against James, but we need that roster spot to be a WR. I feel that the PR/KR should be a shifty/fast WR that can line up with our other WR in the same play. There's too many dead plays having all these RB on the sideline and not seeing enough plays and expecting them to come in cold for 1 or 2 plays and make a difference.

We've got dead plays with Greg Roman calling halfback option passes, tosses with slower running backs, and other play calls that just totally befuddle me. If he consistently called a good game plan, there would be many more plays out there for the backs and receivers.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Nothing against James, but we need that roster spot to be a WR. I feel that the PR/KR should be a shifty/fast WR that can line up with our other WR in the same play. There's too many dead plays having all these RB on the sideline and not seeing enough plays and expecting them to come in cold for 1 or 2 plays and make a difference.

We've got dead plays with Greg Roman calling halfback option passes, tosses with slower running backs, and other play calls that just totally befuddle me. If he consistently called a good game plan, there would be many more plays out there for the backs and receivers.

A lot of this is still webzone speculation. For all we know Harbs is overriding plays or setting the game plan to focus on certain things. Regarding James, one possibility still exists that nobody mentions, Rathman may not want him carrying the ball. Our beloved RB coach may be the one not sending LMJ in when Gore takes himself out. Would anybody be pissed if we found out Rathman was keeping James out?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

A lot of this is still webzone speculation. For all we know Harbs is overriding plays or setting the game plan to focus on certain things. Regarding James, one possibility still exists that nobody mentions, Rathman may not want him carrying the ball. Our beloved RB coach may be the one not sending LMJ in when Gore takes himself out. Would anybody be pissed if we found out Rathman was keeping James out?
James Needs some PT. Get creative and get him the ball in space. Line him up wide and give him quick screens or fly sweeps.
I hate to do this but seattle ran more sweeps in the superbowl than ive seen all year, why? because they know how to play to the strengths of their players. Harvin is the kinda guy that just needs the ball in space and that's what they did. Sweep options, little dump offs, off tackle runs, we just need to do something to get him in a rhythm or its just wasted talent.
Baalke blew it in 2012. He took 2 absolute WIMPS with the first two rounds in AJJ and LMJ. Why not go with size and strength?? I would trade this dude for any round pick. He don't fit in the NFL. I thought it may work as a change of pace but NOT at a 2nd round price. Baalke blew the 2012 Draft. Its as if he was asleep those 3 days right?
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Baalke blew it in 2012. He took 2 absolute WIMPS with the first two rounds in AJJ and LMJ. Why not go with size and strength?? I would trade this dude for any round pick. He don't fit in the NFL. I thought it may work as a change of pace but NOT at a 2nd round price. Baalke blew the 2012 Draft. Its as if he was asleep those 3 days right?

He passed up on Doug Martin, Alshon Jefferey and Janoris Jenkins

• cciowa
  • Veteran

i have always said we were just plain lucky that one bad draft did not set back the franchise several years. when you blow a draft as bad as that one, despite what some spinsters try to spin,,,, you could really go back wards. we got lucky cuz we had the good draft before hand, a decent one last year and a core of great players..... you make that same mistake this year you will ask for and get trouble in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i have always said we were just plain lucky that one bad draft did not set back the franchise several years. when you blow a draft as bad as that one, despite what some spinsters try to spin,,,, you could really go back wards. we got lucky cuz we had the good draft before hand, a decent one last year and a core of great players..... you make that same mistake this year you will ask for and get trouble in my opinion
his draft selection spot and his mouthiness on twitter wont do him well in sf. somewhere else i bet he could salvage his career.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
sorry

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
his draft selection spot and his mouthiness on twitter wont do him well in sf. somewhere else i bet he could salvage his career.

plus he still is a major work in progress in the punt return game in my opinion
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VDSF:

He passed up on Doug Martin, Alshon Jefferey and Janoris Jenkins

I thought those picks were an over reaction by the 49ers' staff to Victor Cruz. That year, everyone was in awe of Cruz and how he could not be covered. So the 49ers went out and got to "quick" guys believing that was the missing piece. Now, things are different.

I'll ALWAYS believe AJ was drafted to replicate Cruz. Never worked out.
Originally posted by cciowa:

plus he still is a major work in progress in the punt return game in my opinion

he didnt break much in terms of big returns, but he was top 10 in punt return average. i dont think hes great or terrible, but his draft selection spot is what kills him on this team in the fans eyes.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
he didnt break much in terms of big returns, but he was top 10 in punt return average. i dont think hes great or terrible, but his draft selection spot is what kills him on this team in the fans eyes.

did not know about the top ten thing but still,,, he makes me crazy when he catches a punt
I'll say it again. If you're watching the draft and you see the Niners select Odell Beckham in the second round, that's all for LMJ. I'd rather have a wide receiver with elite, almost Harvin level speed who can return punts for TD's any day of the week than LMJ. I thought he had potential when they drafted him, but he's never really done enough to earn trust or playing time. Fumbling on a key drive in the Super Bowl and booting a punt in the Championship game don't help his cause.
Share 49ersWebzone