There are 224 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

I'm sure we can get about a 4th rounder for LaMike... he does not have any alarming injuries or character issues and he was a play maker in college. Being a 49er helps him, some GM's are dumb and will believe he is a good player just because he is a 49er. I would say Eagles but I see Chip Kelly (smart guy) giving no more than than a 5th or 6th. I could see the following teams giving a 4th; Browns, Dolphins, Titans, Jags, and maybe the Raiders. All have RB needs, and I don't think highly og any of their GM's.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We can probably get a 7th rounder for him.
Originally posted by Nuns:
Originally posted by outside4949:
to be honest he hasn't even flashed that much . its seems like someone taps him and he is on the turf.

These are my observations as well. Doesn't seem like a natural runner, dances too much, can't break an arm tackle.
And yet he leads the team in yards per carry. When Hunter went down last year he stepped in and played great and helped us get to the Superbowl. This past season I believe he finished with a 4.9 yards per carry average. It's not his fault the team doesn't play him. Nobody was sure Gore would still have all that gas left in his tank and with him splitting time with Hunter what happens to the 49ers if 1 of them gets hurt? Especially if it's Gore? With the 49ers relying soo much on the running game he was drafted as insurance. It's not his fault Gore hasn't missed a game or dropped off and Hunter only missed a few and the 49ers don't use him.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I'm sure we can get about a 4th rounder for LaMike... he does not have any alarming injuries or character issues and he was a play maker in college. Being a 49er helps him, some GM's are dumb and will believe he is a good player just because he is a 49er. I would say Eagles but I see Chip Kelly (smart guy) giving no more than than a 5th or 6th. I could see the following teams giving a 4th; Browns, Dolphins, Titans, Jags, and maybe the Raiders. All have RB needs, and I don't think highly og any of their GM's.
Here's the problem. Every year could be the one where it becomes obvious that it's time for Gore to hang it up. He's been amazing but we already got more out of him than we could have dreamed and sooner or later it's time. in 2012 Gore averaged 4.7 yards per carry. This past season 4.1 yards per carry. How good will he be in the upcoming year?

Hunter is not a workhorse type back. He's a running back by committee type and he missed a good chunk of last year and the Superbowl.

We have no idea what Lattimore brings to the table coming off some very serious injuries or if he can stay healthy.

LMJ averaged 4.9 yards per carry this season. Not bad for a scrub. We should be finding ways to get the ball to him. It's not his fault we don't play him much but we will be glad we have him if Gore drops off or Hunter gets hurt and Lattimore takes time to develop coming off such serious injuries.
Didn't like the pick, don't like the player, happy trails. Doesn't add anything to our roster besides special team abilities which are average. Niners will draft another RB in 2014.' The guy I drafted in 2012 was Vick Ballard and much later in the draft. Ballard would have been a nice player on this roster.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 1, 2014 at 4:09 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Didn't like the pick, don't like the player, happy trails. Doesn't add anything to our roster besides special team abilities which are average. Niners will draft another RB in 2014.' The guy I drafted in 2012 was Vick Ballard and much later in the draft. Ballard would have been a nice player on this roster.

I agree with this. Time to admit that draft pick was a mistake. Not just because it's a poor fit, but because James just isn't that good. I don't think he'd be that much better in a different scheme either. He's not as quick or explosive as the draft experts led us to believe. Could be a decent change of pace player, he was in 2012. But he really doesn't bring anything to the table that a late round - UDFA with similar dimensions couldn't bring.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

So, who would be your top three choices at RB in the draft. Who fits the niners best, do you think?
i dont think he really got a shot to show what he can do. takes a few snaps to get some consistency and a feel for the flow of the game. same can be said for hunter.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i dont think he really got a shot to show what he can do. takes a few snaps to get some consistency and a feel for the flow of the game. same can be said for hunter.

Agree
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Agree

having gore has been a blessing and a curse because he gets so many of the carries we cant really develop anyone behind him. i could easily see hunter and james both being studs on another team and we would never know because they never get any touches
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
to be honest he hasn't even flashed that much . its seems like someone taps him and he is on the turf.

These are my observations as well. Doesn't seem like a natural runner, dances too much, can't break an arm tackle.
And yet he leads the team in yards per carry. When Hunter went down last year he stepped in and played great and helped us get to the Superbowl. This past season I believe he finished with a 4.9 yards per carry average. It's not his fault the team doesn't play him. Nobody was sure Gore would still have all that gas left in his tank and with him splitting time with Hunter what happens to the 49ers if 1 of them gets hurt? Especially if it's Gore? With the 49ers relying soo much on the running game he was drafted as insurance. It's not his fault Gore hasn't missed a game or dropped off and Hunter only missed a few and the 49ers don't use him.

This is my issue. Although I don't think anyone likes his complaining, what you stated is being completely ignored. James did well with the ball as a runner when given the opportunity. Unless this guy becomes some kind of locker room cancer, I say we hold onto him until his contract expires. He can be useful in the running game, has potential as a pass catcher in the flats, and is a decent returner. I'd love to see what he'd look like if he got 5-10 carries a few games. I wouldn't expect that every game, but considering his skill set and that he has more burst than Gore, I think he can be used to gash some slower defenses for big gains.

The reality is, the 49ers aren't very good at the present time in utilizing the abilities of all of their players. We over rely on certain guys. The good news is that, we saw some adjustment this year (more so on the defense). I think Vic Fangio rotated players much better this year than in 2012. Hopefully we will see something similar on offense next year because LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter, Quinton Patton, and Vance McDonald can add a lot to this offense.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

This is my issue. Although I don't think anyone likes his complaining, what you stated is being completely ignored. James did well with the ball as a runner when given the opportunity. Unless this guy becomes some kind of locker room cancer, I say we hold onto him until his contract expires. He can be useful in the running game, has potential as a pass catcher in the flats, and is a decent returner. I'd love to see what he'd look like if he got 5-10 carries a few games. I wouldn't expect that every game, but considering his skill set and that he has more burst than Gore, I think he can be used to gash some slower defenses for big gains.

The reality is, the 49ers aren't very good at the present time in utilizing the abilities of all of their players. We over rely on certain guys. The good news is that, we saw some adjustment this year (more so on the defense). I think Vic Fangio rotated players much better this year than in 2012. Hopefully we will see something similar on offense next year because LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter, Quinton Patton, and Vance McDonald can add a lot to this offense.
I can't believe we don't give him a few carries and a couple of short passes in space minimum every game. This is Hunter's last year on his contract, and might be Gore's last year period. Hopefully Lattimore comes back 100% but who knows. I would consider a 3rd round pick but not a 5th rounder. And there is always injury. RB is the toughest position to play. We have had only 1 back miss a few games in the last 2 years. That luck may not hold this coming season.
I think we should get what we can get for him BECAUSE he will not be used enough to keep him.

Let's face it Roman is staying and the story will be the same. We won't be using him as a slot receiver and he isn't a real between the tackles runner.

I feel we can get a better KO/PR in the draft.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I think we should get what we can get for him BECAUSE he will not be used enough to keep him.

Let's face it Roman is staying and the story will be the same. We won't be using him as a slot receiver and he isn't a real between the tackles runner.

I feel we can get a better KO/PR in the draft.

We can't. He's insurance. Although I don't think Frank Gore will drop off significantly next year, you can never call these things. Kendall Hunter is entering the last year of his contract. LaMichael James will play out his deal. Even if he leaves after his rookie deal is up, we've got the get what we can out of him at least in 2014 because we don't know what we have in Marcus Lattimore yet. If we trade James we turn RB into a potential position of need. Not a high need like defensive back or receiver, but a need nonetheless. The only reason I think they should get rid of James is if he turns into some locker room cancer.

It would be great if he realized the door is WIDE OPEN for him to become more featured in this offense. Anthony Dixon is likely gone. Marcus Lattimore is an unknown. Frank Gore will be 31 and Kendall Hunter didn't get many carries himself last season. He could conceivably force his way onto the field more with a good training camp and preseason.
i just hate that if LaMike goes to like the Pats, he will shine. Have to utilize the players...