LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 200 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'd really love to see the offense make it a point of focus to get the ball to LMJ out in space, at least give him the opportunity, if he can't catch, oh well, but if he can and becomes a useful weapon for this team, yet another target that defenses have to account for, it would do wonder for this offense. Most defenses have been playing way off on the checkdowns due to coverage on Boldin and VD or due to bringing extra pass-rushers, the checkdown guy has been left wide open a multitude of times, if the 49ers actually started punishing teams for doing that, it would really mess up their entire defensive approach.

It really can't just be James either because you'd have the same problem in a different way. James comes in and someone simply peels off with him.

While I hope James can be productive, what I've seen so far doesn't bode well. His explosiveness simply hasn't transferred to the NFL game the way Sproles has. I think, unfortunately, people overrate his impact and the explosive threat he puts on defenses on this board.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Nov 16, 2013 at 6:33 AM ]
He's as explosive as anyone. It's a matter of our coaching staff playing to his strengths. Our staff is terrible at taking full advantage of what they excel at (at least on offense)
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
He's as explosive as anyone. It's a matter of our coaching staff playing to his strengths. Our staff is terrible at taking full advantage of what they excel at (at least on offense)

Ummm.....no. Although I would agree that having a guy like James could help, particularly given the way defenses are covering the 49ers.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Nov 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM ]
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'd really love to see the offense make it a point of focus to get the ball to LMJ out in space, at least give him the opportunity, if he can't catch, oh well, but if he can and becomes a useful weapon for this team, yet another target that defenses have to account for, it would do wonder for this offense. Most defenses have been playing way off on the checkdowns due to coverage on Boldin and VD or due to bringing extra pass-rushers, the checkdown guy has been left wide open a multitude of times, if the 49ers actually started punishing teams for doing that, it would really mess up their entire defensive approach.

It really can't just be James either because you'd have the same problem in a different way. James comes in and someone simply peels off with him.

While I hope James can be productive, what I've seen so far doesn't bode well. His explosiveness simply hasn't transferred to the NFL game the way Sproles has. I think, unfortunately, people overrate his impact and the explosive threat he puts on defenses on this board.

James has not had many chances to explode, or excel. He has received a few carries but no one is going to bench Gore to play James more and James hasn't been used effectively as a receiver...come to think of it, the receivers haven't been used effectively as receivers. LOL!

James is a good inside runner and can disappear in the LOS and pop out just as Gore can, but he has to wait his turn. If anything holds James back it will be mental...either on the coaches part or James'. They have tried to get the ball to him in the flat a number of times but defenders were all over him as he caught the ball...very poorly disguised plays. They have not used him in many short, late routes from the flat moving into the middle of the field on slants or drifts. Gore does very well on these and I think James would as well.

Now with Lattimore coming back next year James may be the odd man out...but Lattimore would seem to be a replacement for Gore, depending on how many more years the team thinks FG will be productive. At 30 he is on the upper range for RB longevity. James, Hunter and Dixon are 24, 25, and 26 respectively. Hampton is 23 and Lattimore is 22. Nice spread! Thankfully, the last thing the 9ers should worry about in the draft is the RB position.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
LMJ would be tearing s**t up on another team that actually used him to his strengths. He's just wasting away here. Dude is dynamic and can take any carry touch to the house. stupid fkn coaching staff.

dixon returning kicks? come the fk on.

for those of you saying he's not returning kicks because of his fumble in the SB. That makes no fkn sense since we have him returning punts which is a a much more difficult, high stress job than KR.
Originally posted by kap2crab:
In lieu of being able to find a gif of LaMichael's game-changing kick return at New England last year. let me just ask you that if anybody who has ever fumbled in their career would apparently be ineligible for return duties, why is he our punt returner? I just don't get why we don't have him handle both, especially when he's proven to be a dynamic kick returner and certainly much faster, quicker, and explosive in space than Dixon.

Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
This was on offense...

...but the point is taken. Are you willing to trust LaMichael, the same LaMichael that's been in the coaching staff's doghouse? I'm not. I wish I could since he possesses everything the KR/PR could want and he would allow our offense to use the screen pass more! Reality is though he hasn't earned it and I wouldn't gamble our playoff hopes (think about it... PLAYOFF HOPES) with LaMichael. Our window is closing I believe!
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
He scares the s**t out of me at PR.

Same. I know he's greatly improved, but I can't help but feel it's only a matter of time before he screws up big. Can't erase those memories of last pre-season when he botched every return lol. I don't think I can take another post-season ruined by special teams mistakes.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Same. I know he's greatly improved, but I can't help but feel it's only a matter of time before he screws up big. Can't erase those memories of last pre-season when he botched every return lol. I don't think I can take another post-season ruined by special teams mistakes.

Ginn use to scare me, until he didn't. These guys need time to learn and get comfortable back there and James may be very good or exceptional if he embraces this opportunity. We will just have to clench up for a bit until he proves himself...one way or another!
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Agree, hope he just gets better and better and better to the point those fears dissipate.
Im predicting lmj gets his breakout game. 3 tds 300 total yards.

3rd and 2 down by 7 and we call a run through the tackles with our smallest least experienced rb. this is the summary of these coaches playcalling
Originally posted by stefano89:
3rd and 2 down by 7 and we call a run through the tackles with our smallest least experienced rb. this is the summary of these coaches playcalling

But, but, no one would ever expect it!!
The LaMichael James experiment is over. Chalk this in as another draft bust.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
rather have Boobie run it on the 3rd and 2.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
The LaMichael James experiment is over. Chalk this in as another draft bust.

Right, because it's his fault the imbeciles scheming/calling plays don't utilize him properly. Wake me up when finally decide to throw him some screens, swings, split him out wide or in the slot, have him run reverses, etc. But you're probably right, only give him 1 or 2 plays from scrimmage, jam him up the middle and then declare him a bust....sound reasoning, well done.
Share 49ersWebzone