There are 142 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm just going to hold out hope that with the sure departure of Dixon next season there will be a few more carries available for James. Perhaps by some miracle he improves as a punt returner as well because I truly believe the staff WANTS him to take that job from Kyle Williams. There is a role available for James. If he can work on his return game, he can be the primary returner, and if he shows anything as a pass catcher, he should be able to leap frog the receivers we currently have as targets.

There is a time and a place for the fair catch but if I see one more wave of the hand from Kyle "the yawn" Williams, I'm gonna puke. Put James in PLEASE!
Originally posted by AUniner:
Maybe with Mario coming back soon they'll cut Williams & LMJ will be primary returner? Maybe Jim's kiss of death was for Kyle rather than LMJ?

Moore would be cut first
  • dj43
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Seeing Danny Woodhead in this MNF game makes me wonder why Roman won't create a package of plays especially for LMJ.

Harbaugh and Roman need to lock themselves in the film room and look at about 10 New Orleans Saints games to see how Sean Peyton uses Darren Sproles. Peyton is the best offensive mind in the game, IMO. Even when Sproles was not available, Peyton used Reggie Bush in the best assortment of screens and swing passes in the league. (Andy Reid and Jamaal Charles/Dexter McCluster is another example.)

James was a very productive back in college running much the same kind of plays as Peyton runs in NO. Why Baalke/Harbaugh selected this guy is a puzzle to me. It is like giving a kid a new techy toy but giving him no instructions on how to use it. HaRo do not appear to have a clue as to how to use James. When they could be lining him up in the backfield along with Gore, they bring in another TE and Miller and just try to pound it up the middle. The threat of James in the wings and on play action screens could add an entire new dimension to the offense. Not only that, it would spread the defense out and allow more room for Gore to run the plays he prefers.

All this patronizing talk on the networks about how creative Roman is sometimes makes me a little ill. Yes, he does have some sets that are different but in terms of taking advantage of the talent available, he is missing the boat when it comes to James.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Sourball:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm just going to hold out hope that with the sure departure of Dixon next season there will be a few more carries available for James. Perhaps by some miracle he improves as a punt returner as well because I truly believe the staff WANTS him to take that job from Kyle Williams. There is a role available for James. If he can work on his return game, he can be the primary returner, and if he shows anything as a pass catcher, he should be able to leap frog the receivers we currently have as targets.

There is a time and a place for the fair catch but if I see one more wave of the hand from Kyle "the yawn" Williams, I'm gonna puke. Put James in PLEASE!

Often the decision to make a fair catch is determined before he even gets on the field. It there is a block on, the fair catch is an automatic call. There are also keys the returner reads that determine the fair catch. It may also be the case that Harbaugh has such confidence in the defense and Andy Lee that he is willing to play a field position game rather than take a chance on a punt return that might injure one of the few decent WRs on the team.
Originally posted by dj43:
Seeing Danny Woodhead in this MNF game makes me wonder why Roman won't create a package of plays especially for LMJ.

Harbaugh and Roman need to lock themselves in the film room and look at about 10 New Orleans Saints games to see how Sean Peyton uses Darren Sproles. Peyton is the best offensive mind in the game, IMO. Even when Sproles was not available, Peyton used Reggie Bush in the best assortment of screens and swing passes in the league. (Andy Reid and Jamaal Charles/Dexter McCluster is another example.)

James was a very productive back in college running much the same kind of plays as Peyton runs in NO. Why Baalke/Harbaugh selected this guy is a puzzle to me. It is like giving a kid a new techy toy but giving him no instructions on how to use it. HaRo do not appear to have a clue as to how to use James. When they could be lining him up in the backfield along with Gore, they bring in another TE and Miller and just try to pound it up the middle. The threat of James in the wings and on play action screens could add an entire new dimension to the offense. Not only that, it would spread the defense out and allow more room for Gore to run the plays he prefers.

All this patronizing talk on the networks about how creative Roman is sometimes makes me a little ill. Yes, he does have some sets that are different but in terms of taking advantage of the talent available, he is missing the boat when it comes to James.

Exactly. One example of a play Saints and Chargers use with Sproles/Woodhead (especially on 3rd downs) is shotgun/pistol with single back...right at the snap they are full speed to the LOS, and it's hard for the LB to pick them up right away...at that point they either keep going straight up the seam, or make a quit cut back towards the middle or sideline, QB makes a quick pass hitting them just a few yards downfield, but in space and giving them a chance to "create". LMJ is tailor-made to run this same type of play, among others...but he's sorta got be on the field, or active for that matter.
  • dj43
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by dj43:

Exactly. One example of a play Saints and Chargers use with Sproles/Woodhead (especially on 3rd downs) is shotgun/pistol with single back...right at the snap they are full speed to the LOS, and it's hard for the LB to pick them up right away...at that point they either keep going straight up the seam, or make a quit cut back towards the middle or sideline, QB makes a quick pass hitting them just a few yards downfield, but in space and giving them a chance to "create". LMJ is tailor-made to run this same type of play, among others...but he's sorta got be on the field, or active for that matter.

We are in full agreement, however, I have never seen the 49ers run that kind of play since Harbaugh has been here. It doesn't appear they have any feel for that kind of play. It appears they are satisfied with James as a backup returned. Total waste of a 2nd round pick.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
AJ Jenkins was the worst pick in 49ers and arguably NFL history.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Holy hyperbole, Batman!
[ Edited by theduke85 on Oct 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

derp!

Ryan Leaf
JaBustus Russell
etc
etc.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by boast:

derp!

Ryan Leaf
JaBustus Russell
etc
etc.

even those dudes had better numbers than AJ.

derp!

Ryan Leaf
JaBustus Russell
etc
etc.

And even if he was talking about the 49ers:

Gio Carmazzi
Mike Rumph
Rashaun Woods
Israel Ifeanyi
Glen Coffee
Taylor Mays

etc.
etc.
etc.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by kidash98:

derp!

Ryan Leaf
JaBustus Russell
etc
etc.

Gio Carmazzi
Mike Rumph
Rashaun Woods
Israel Ifeanyi
Glen Coffee
Taylor Mays

etc.
etc.
etc.

carmazzi was a 3rd round pick
Rumph was better than AJ and will prove to have a longer career
Woods was absolute garbage but still had better numbers than Aj
Ifyani was a second round pick
Coffee was better than AJ but just didnt wanna play no more and also a 3rd pick.
Originally posted by susweel:

derp!

Ryan Leaf
JaBustus Russell
etc
etc.

Gio Carmazzi
Mike Rumph
Rashaun Woods
Israel Ifeanyi
Glen Coffee
Taylor Mays

etc.
etc.
etc.

Coffee was better than AJ but just didnt wanna play no more and also a 3rd pick.

We said worst pick and not based on where they were picked.

Originally posted by theduke85:
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Holy hyperbole, Batman!

he was, considering baalke should have traded that whole draft to colts for #1 overall.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

derp!

Ryan Leaf
JaBustus Russell
etc
etc.

Gio Carmazzi
Mike Rumph
Rashaun Woods
Israel Ifeanyi
Glen Coffee
Taylor Mays

etc.
etc.
etc.

but draft status matters because then you would have to include 6-7th round picks who never even make the team. A 1st round is expected to become a solid starting player for years to come.

derp!

Ryan Leaf
JaBustus Russell
etc
etc.

Gio Carmazzi
Mike Rumph
Rashaun Woods
Israel Ifeanyi
Glen Coffee
Taylor Mays

etc.
etc.
etc.

but draft status matters because then you would have to include 6-7th round picks who never even make the team. A 1st round is expected to become a solid starting player for years to come.

Okay... You got me there.

Share 49ersWebzone