There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

get this kid the ball. spread the love harbaugh!
Great posts and totally agree w/the exasperation that Roman's play calling causes.

Does anyone think Baalke mentioned this to JH. I know Baalke does his thing and stays out of coaching which is how it should be BUT common man!
The day we drafted LMJ, I was thrilled . We were so stacked with talent that we could burn a 2nd rd pick on a guy they were going to use like sproles. Heck we drafted a position player...we were that loaded with talent. Man, Coach missed it last yr, but I knew, I just knew he would use LMJ like sproles this yr. Nope, not this yr either. Suddenly it seems like we REALLY drafted him to run between tackles, twice his size? NO WAY. I still say, Coach has missed the boat on this and blame goes to humpty Roman....at least most of it. JH should be aware of sproles like players and how they can impact a game. Especially now that kap has dwindled down to becoming our GAME MANAGER. Where and what have JH and roman been thinking. LMJ in the backfield as outlet receiver is a natural for a lame QB who can't break 50% pass completion. A sproles like guy might just help kap , since he can't pick up anyone more than 6 yds away.

Some wag long ago noted kaps eyes are really close together. And yes they are. He then theorized that because kap had hypoteleorisim, he could see not as much of the field as other qBs with normal spacing of their eyes. I laughed at that. Now....
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The day we drafted LMJ, I was thrilled . We were so stacked with talent that we could burn a 2nd rd pick on a guy they were going to use like sproles. Heck we drafted a position player...we were that loaded with talent. Man, Coach missed it last yr, but I knew, I just knew he would use LMJ like sproles this yr. Nope, not this yr either. Suddenly it seems like we REALLY drafted him to run between tackles, twice his size? NO WAY. I still say, Coach has missed the boat on this and blame goes to humpty Roman....at least most of it. JH should be aware of sproles like players and how they can impact a game. Especially now that kap has dwindled down to becoming our GAME MANAGER. Where and what have JH and roman been thinking. LMJ in the backfield as outlet receiver is a natural for a lame QB who can't break 50% pass completion. A sproles like guy might just help kap , since he can't pick up anyone more than 6 yds away.

Some wag long ago noted kaps eyes are really close together. And yes they are. He then theorized that because kap had hypoteleorisim, he could see not as much of the field as other qBs with normal spacing of their eyes. I laughed at that. Now....

Heres the thing, LMJ was never a sproles clone. He wasnt at Oregon, and he was never gonna be for the 49ers. People like me and oregon went over this repeatedly since he was drafted.

He has never been a receiving threat like sproles, and he has always had limited ST ability. Alot of people saw his size, quickness, and speed, and compared him to sproles, it was never a fair comparison to begin with. He is also VERY proficient at running through the tackles if he is not hit at or behind the LOS. He is simply not strong enough to break tackles, but he is very proficient and elusive at running between the tackles. He is especially good at doing it from shotgun, but the fact that he cant block has limited his ability to be used in this way at the NFL level. Thats where he made his money in oregon, between the tackles from the shotgun formation.

Dont take my word for it, watch his highlights, or talk to a guy like Oregon who followed his career closely.

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Heres the thing, LMJ was never a sproles clone. He wasnt at Oregon, and he was never gonna be for the 49ers. People like me and oregon went over this repeatedly since he was drafted.

He has never been a receiving threat like sproles, and he has always had limited ST ability. Alot of people saw his size, quickness, and speed, and compared him to sproles, it was never a fair comparison to begin with. He is also VERY proficient at running through the tackles if he is not hit at or behind the LOS. He is simply not strong enough to break tackles, but he is very proficient and elusive at running between the tackles. He is especially good at doing it from shotgun, but the fact that he cant block has limited his ability to be used in this way at the NFL level. Thats where he made his money in oregon, between the tackles from the shotgun formation.

Dont take my word for it, watch his highlights, or talk to a guy like Oregon who followed his career closely.

I definitely understand your concern and those who really watched James in Oregon make perfect sense. But I've asked this before. Was Roger Craig a great pass catching back coming out of Nebraska? Sometimes you can take the natural ability of a player and give him the opportunity to add a another dimension to his game. If thy didn't think James had the ability, drafting him, especially in the 2nd round, really doesn't make any sense.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I definitely understand your concern and those who really watched James in Oregon make perfect sense. But I've asked this before. Was Roger Craig a great pass catching back coming out of Nebraska? Sometimes you can take the natural ability of a player and give him the opportunity to add a another dimension to his game. If thy didn't think James had the ability, drafting him, especially in the 2nd round, really doesn't make any sense.

Look i like LMJ, but drafting him made no sense regardless. You do not spend a second rounder on a third RB, especially when you have two very competent backs ahead of him. Never made alot of sense. I like him as a 49er, but his career is being wasted. He would likely never be a true feature back, but he certainly could likely start on some of these RB hungry teams, and could definately get more carries than he is getting on others.

Same thing with Hunter. Hunter could start on some teams in the NFL. He is better as a change of pace back, not someone i would personally like to see as a feature back here, but he could start on another roster.

Its just sad to see RB's get lost to depth like this when they have ability because their careers are so short in the NFL.

Dont get me wrong, love the depth and insurance we have at the RB position. Its one of the strongest if not the strongest positions on the roster.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Look i like LMJ, but drafting him made no sense regardless. You do not spend a second rounder on a third RB, especially when you have two very competent backs ahead of him. Never made alot of sense. I like him as a 49er, but his career is being wasted. He would likely never be a true feature back, but he certainly could likely start on some of these RB hungry teams, and could definately get more carries than he is getting on others.

Same thing with Hunter. Hunter could start on some teams in the NFL. He is better as a change of pace back, not someone i would personally like to see as a feature back here, but he could start on another roster.

Its just sad to see RB's get lost to depth like this when they have ability because their careers are so short in the NFL.

Dont get me wrong, love the depth and insurance we have at the RB position. Its one of the strongest if not the strongest positions on the roster.

I agree. You'd think that there would have to be some kind of plan in place to do more with him because there are only so many carries to go around. Best case scenario,James gets 5 to 7 a game, which to me still isn't really enough to utilize a back with his considerable talents. Unless he is more involved in the passing game, it doesn't make any sense at all.
The problem is that he isn't even a threat in the passing game. He has zero route running skills at this point and is relegated to stretch and outside pitch running plays. He will continue to see limited action while he works on receiving capabilities.

You pretty much just said it all. He was practically never used in the passing game outside of the 2011 National Championship against Auburn when we tried to get him the ball outside the tackle box because Nick Farely was eating our offensive line alive, so we threw him some screen passes. He also had one big catch against Washington State his junior year, but that's literally about it.

I mentioned on this thread a few pages ago, but I really want to see us start using him the same way the Bengals are using Giovani Bernard. They are eerily similar players and have the same skill set (although Bernard was used as more of a pass catcher at UNC). The Bengals realize that he has game-breaking abilities, and thus try to get the ball in his hands as many ways as possible. I've seen screen passes, sending him out wide, running in between the tackles, tosses, etc. I realize that the Bengals don't have the luxury of having a Frank Gore/Kendall Hunter atop their depth chart, but they are getting a ton of production out of him as a rookie. There's no way you can convince me that James can't do anything Bernard can.

It is frustrating to see such a talented player and high draft pick get lost in the shuffle, especially when our offense is missing play makers at the skill position.
lol scratched
[ Edited by kujon11 on Oct 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
The problem is that he isn't even a threat in the passing game. He has zero route running skills at this point and is relegated to stretch and outside pitch running plays. He will continue to see limited action while he works on receiving capabilities.

he also can not pass block and he can not return punts. i am surprised the team does not put hunter back there for kickoffs if james is not playing as hunter was pretty good last year before he got hurt in this area. i question roman for not knowing how to use james however i am starting to understand why he does not play as he does not seem to be a complete back that the niners like,
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:

he also can not pass block and he can not return punts. i am surprised the team does not put hunter back there for kickoffs if james is not playing as hunter was pretty good last year before he got hurt in this area. i question roman for not knowing how to use james however i am starting to understand why he does not play as he does not seem to be a complete back that the niners like,

IMO I agree he's not a complete back, at the same time, why can't he just be used as a weapon? Find a way to get the man the ball in space, not like this team is bursting with offensive playmakers right now.
if they didnt want to use him they shouldnt have drafted him. with his limited use i dont think his trade value would be very high either
Yeah his trade value is probably around a 4th at best right now. I don't know why we aren't using him more and no reason at all to healthy scratch him. I'd say keep for insurance if all we can get is like a 4th but I think he's going to get upset about his lack of role soon. I mean if we can't use him when he's the #3 and Dixon is 5 how is he going to get work next year with Gore, Lattimore and Hunter. That's if Dixon is gone. If Dixon is back that makes it tougher. I'd say he would be good insurance for when Hunter or Gore leave but that at the earliest if that happened (and it probably wont) would be 2015 and he'd be in his last year. He's not going to wait another year to get a shot in 2015. Wish we knew what happened day in and day out because some of these movies recently puzzle me.
another wasted 2nd round pick