LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Question becomes if Frank is still holding down the starter role next year, Hunter stays the same, and Latt is as advertised....what happenes to James? Are we going to carry 4 RB's and keep them all active? If he isn't owning a ST spot solidly, could he be in trouble....?

I would hate to think a 2nd rounder was 4th on the depth chart.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Question becomes if Frank is still holding down the starter role next year, Hunter stays the same, and Latt is as advertised....what happenes to James? Are we going to carry 4 RB's and keep them all active? If he isn't owning a ST spot solidly, could he be in trouble....?

Good point, but we don't have to worry about that until next year. Unless there is a catastrophe, there is no reason to rush Lattimore into action.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Good point, but we don't have to worry about that until next year. Unless there is a catastrophe, there is no reason to rush Lattimore into action.

Latt is a huge question mark anyway.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I don't understand what people are expecting from LMJ. Are they expecting him to truck linebackers to the ground? The guy is extremely quick and constantly gets something out of nothing.
There were a couple sweep plays where there were five defenders on him the moment he got the ball. Sometimes he broke free, other times not. He can't be Barry Sanders on every play.

This. Thank you. I just can't wait to see us get the ball to him in space. It'll be fun to watch.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
This. Thank you. I just can't wait to see us get the ball to him in space. It'll be fun to watch.

I liked watching LMJ play at oregon. it was exciting to watch. Unfortunately, he hasnt carried that caliber of play with him to the nfl. He needs to take a page out of Gire's book and be a little more patient behind the line. running into the ass of an o lineman isnt going to get you any yards
Originally posted by xtm059:

I liked watching LMJ play at oregon. it was exciting to watch. Unfortunately, he hasnt carried that caliber of play with him to the nfl. He needs to take a page out of Gire's book and be a little more patient behind the line. running into the ass of an o lineman isnt going to get you any yards

Where is this coming from? I didn't even see him do that at all tonight. He was constantly stuffed at the line tonight and always found a way to fight and escape for extra yards (except for one play where he screwed up and tried to switch fields and got caught.)
Originally posted by xtm059:

If he carried his production from Oregon into the NFL, he would already be a first ballot Hall-of-Famer.
  • thl408
Most of his carries came with the second team Oline and he had to be slippery to make positive gains. I continue to be impressed with his shiftiness. IMO, his only weakness is ball security.
Saw him whiff on a blocking situation as well I think, he needs to get better there also
He is supposedly a super-quick back. Someone you'd want to get the ball too in space. Problem with that is he's only an average returner (at the pro level) at best and the 49ers don't appear to see enough value to get him onto the field more than just a 3rd stringer. It's not that he's a bad player, just as a 2nd rounder who was explosive in college I don't feel he is providing this team with 2nd pick value nor does he look explosive on the field. He's also not been the greatest in pass protection so the question becomes what to do with him.......

Unfortunately, the Jenkins-LMJ 1-2 is looking pretty terrible on Baalke right now.

Originally posted by bzborow1:
He is supposedly a super-quick back. Someone you'd want to get the ball too in space. Problem with that is he's only an average returner (at the pro level) at best and the 49ers don't appear to see enough value to get him onto the field more than just a 3rd stringer. It's not that he's a bad player, just as a 2nd rounder who was explosive in college I don't feel he is providing this team with 2nd pick value nor does he look explosive on the field. He's also not been the greatest in pass protection so the question becomes what to do with him.......

Unfortunately, the Jenkins-LMJ 1-2 is looking pretty terrible on Baalke right now.

What? LMJ stepped in as a rookie and provided a nice backup to Gore when Hunter went down and Jacobs was cut. Remember the PAts game where he returned a kick to set up the game winner to Crabs? The nice run in ATL to get us back in the game?

He made somthing out of nothing today quite often. I think Hunter was better, but LMJ can turn into a better runner and returner.
I love um as a 3DB, for screens and change of pace, but right now he's been unimpressive as a punt returner and I much rather have kdub back there or even cox.
Originally posted by bzborow1:

I thought LMJ has looked really good all preseason...
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
LMJ + first team OL = watch the fk out. If he can get a hole past the first series of defenders, no one is touching him.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
LMJ first team OL = watch the fk out. If he can get a hole past the first series of defenders, no one is touching him.

Hes run behind the first team line and outside of that stupid spin move he's been less than impressive IMO. There have been multiple runs this preseason behind the 1's where there were gaping holes and he seems to lack the vision to make anything happen let alone make anyone "watch the fk out". Not impressed so far and I had really high hopes. As far as nobody toughing him, everyone had better hope nobody touches him because usually he gets face planted shortly after. Yes he had power for a little guy but as for a starting nfl back? I think he's weak. Hunter is #2 thank god. He looks like a legit nfl back!
Share 49ersWebzone