LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Dude is a play maker. Great pick, of you don't like it, you will.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Why are there so many differences on speed with this guy? The combine says 4.40. The front paqe of WZ says 4.58.... I've seen draft books say 4.37.

That's a lot of difference. Which is it? He looks fast on tape and in games no doubt.

Dude that's all that matters. 40's are overrated.

He'll be the fastest guy on the field as soon as he steps foot on it.
Just listened to an interview, James says he will do whatever and always wanted to play for Harbaugh. said Harbaugh was so intense during the interviews.
He ran back to back times of 4.37 unofficial at the combine, that was reported by the "human clock" (hand held) then the official electronic time was listed as 4.45.. these are combine times
I'm not sure if I agree with all the Sproles comparisons.

Ideally, that would be AWESOME and I think he could play that kind of role.

However, I watched every single on of his games since his Freshman year and he did not catch a lot of passes. We didn't use him in the passing game that much. I think he's got good hands, but I think that can't be determined b/c he didn't get a lot of opportunities.

That's why I'm not ready to call him the Sproles of our offense.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Why are there so many differences on speed with this guy? The combine says 4.40. The front paqe of WZ says 4.58.... I've seen draft books say 4.37.

That's a lot of difference. Which is it? He looks fast on tape and in games no doubt.

My thoughts EXACTLY
James is a great pickup, draws and passes on 3rd down. We need it.
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:13 PM ]
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:

My thoughts EXACTLY

If you don't think he's fast just watch his tape. The amount of break away runs when there was NO ONE else in sight was incredible over his 3-year career at Oregon.

I was so f**king spolied getting to watch him play for my football team for 3 years.

And he's the nicest/most humble dude I've ever met. Takes pics with everyone on campus.

Class f**king act.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
James is a great pickup, draws and passes on 3rd down. We need it.

link?
I actually like this pick. Really didnt think we would target a RB. Hunter/James combo is the future. James should also return punts.

Would rather have Turbin but, its a nice pick...
Originally posted by 619Niner:
Would rather have Turbin but, its a nice pick...

this pick (james) is for the passing game not to improve the run game

turin is imited when it comes to teh passing game he is a feature back
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by Niner3030:
Originally posted by matt49er:
I think the 49ers plan at RB is this:

Gore-starter/"work horse"
Hunter-change of pace-future starter (to split carries with James)
James-home run threat, James is also a nice receiver
Jacobs-power back

this spells doom to Dixon for sure and most likely Rock Cartwright.

I also think with the selection of Jenkins in round 1 and James in round 2. Ted Ginn Jr might be in trouble. Both Jenkins and James can return kicks and we now have 3 small WRs. Ginn may have 2 prove it at WR to make the roster, though I think he ultimately sticks.

Dixon is gone. Cartwright is a Special Teams guy, basically brought in to replace Costanzo.

Kyle Williams is gone. Ginn is a better and more experienced return guy than anyone we have.

I think we keep 6 backs, and all active on gamedays, Gore, Miller, James, Hunter, Jacobs and Cartwright.
Really six? that's a lot of RBs! we only kept 4 last year, what position do we cut from then? doesn't look like it's possible at WR with Moss, Manningham, Crabs, Ginn, Jenkins.

Well we kept 5(Gore, Hunter, Dixon, Norris and Miller), so it isn't a big difference. We kept Costanzo, who didn't play defense, so no reason we can't keep Cartwright, who would play ST only.

Guys I see on 53 man are

QB- Alex Smith, Josh Johnson and Colin Kaepernick
RB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James and Brandon Jacobs
FB- Bruce Miller
WR- Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham and A.J. Jenkins
TE- Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker
C- Jonathan Goodwin
OG- Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore and Mike Person
OT- Joe Staley, Anthony Davis and Alex Boone
DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald and Will Tukuafu
NT- Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean Francois
OLB- Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith and Parys Haralson
ILB- Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown and Chris Culliver
S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, C.J. Spillman and Colin Jones
ST- David Akers, Andy Lee, Brian Jennings and Rock Cartwright

Obviously the ones on here who are question marks are Moss and Jacobs.

If we dont draft any DL, add Demarcus Dobbs and Ian Williams to the roster, also CB if none are added, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock are likely on the roster. I can see us not having a 3rd TE, and using a Tackle more on the usual 3 TE plays.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:

My thoughts EXACTLY

If you don't think he's fast just watch his tape. The amount of break away runs when there was NO ONE else in sight was incredible over his 3-year career at Oregon.

I was so f**king spolied getting to watch him play for my football team for 3 years.

And he's the nicest/most humble dude I've ever met. Takes pics with everyone on campus.

Class f**king act.

I was literally in the act of writing up why he was so valueable to this team when the site crashed on me and didnt feel like re typing it. Long story short though, he plays football fast, for whatever reason (I.e vision, instincts, ability to process info and react) he just plays faster then other people on the field. When drawing up a defense to defend Oregon, which I did many times for fun. He was extrememly problematic to deal with, as you can't strictly "scheme" against him, he just has too many tools. It essentially comes down to you just having to react and outplay him, which needless to say is hard. I like him more then Reggie Bush for one reason, his ability to get vertical in 2 steps. Reggie Bush would often "out wide" people and get to his top end in 4 to 5 steps. James will hit a hole make 1 cut and go vertical full speed in 2 steps. It is exciting to watch and as a defense football fan, I am really excited to see what we draw up with the team we are building.
double post, sorry
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:20 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone