LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 413 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
For all this talk about his speed, and how fast he played at Oregon, dude looks pretty average on an NFL field, he doesn't look fast at all. I think when he was drafted, coach thought he might line up at the slot, or run routes from the back field. If he was a good route runner, and could catch he would have been great there, the slot is a perfect spot to run Fly Sweep from, a play Harbaugh clearly likes. LMJ, is a bust, not NFL talent, maybe Chip Kelly can get something out of his mopey ass, a change a scenery would be good for him, and roster space would be nice with all the other needs, and talent we have. So I hope this is good bye, but somehow, like gum on your shoes on hot day, LMJ will stick around.

I agree. I think LMJ's speed and quickness are highly overrated.
Comparing him and Ellington as returners, Ellington shows the "suddenness" that we thought LMJ would have.
LMJ has never looked like the quuick speed demon he was touted to be coming out of college.

In this pre-season:
As a return man, Ellington has looked superior.
As a RB, Winston has looked superior. Dude runs angry.

LMJ's scant 34 carries with a very good 4.7 average two years ago just don't make me confident as I have watched him play this pre-season.
The guy just seems weak. Very superficial, sure, and that is why the coaches decide who stays and who goes.

I do have confidence in the coaches, though, in deciding on which players to keep.
[ Edited by OKC49erFan on Aug 29, 2014 at 6:57 AM ]
Dude got all happy and tweeted when he got the draW play call on "of course" yardage on 3 and 18.

Still not sold on this overated loudmouth.
Chip Kelly would probably scoop him up if we cut ties with him
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
For all this talk about his speed, and how fast he played at Oregon, dude looks pretty average on an NFL field, he doesn't look fast at all. I think when he was drafted, coach thought he might line up at the slot, or run routes from the back field. If he was a good route runner, and could catch he would have been great there, the slot is a perfect spot to run Fly Sweep from, a play Harbaugh clearly likes. LMJ, is a bust, not NFL talent, maybe Chip Kelly can get something out of his mopey ass, a change a scenery would be good for him, and roster space would be nice with all the other needs, and talent we have. So I hope this is good bye, but somehow, like gum on your shoes on hot day, LMJ will stick around.

I agree. I think LMJ's speed and quickness are highly overrated.
Comparing him and Ellington as returners, Ellington shows the "suddenness" that we thought LMJ would have.
LMJ has never looked like the quuick speed demon he was touted to be coming out of college.

In this pre-season:
As a return man, Ellington has looked superior.
As a RB, Winston has looked superior. Dude runs angry.

LMJ's scant 34 carries with a very good 4.7 average two years ago just don't make me confident as I have watched him play this pre-season.
The guy just seems weak. Very superficial, sure, and that is why the coaches decide who stays and who goes.

I do have confidence in the coaches, though, in deciding on which players to keep.

LMJ was overrated from the word go before the draft. I know there are a lot of Oregon Ducks fans around, their uniforms are cool, I get that. But, seriously the dude has no RB attributes, nothing whatsoever.

To begin with he is small (not trying to pick on small guys in any way), but if you are small you better be fast. All that hype about him being lightning fast is simply put complete BS. The guy has no football speed whatsoever. Then you add on indecisiveness and lack of vision, viola we have ourselves a bust !!

To be more fair to him, if he was picked say in the 4th or 5th round, perhaps people wouldn't be that harsh on him. But, come on, 2nd round ?! Carlos Hyde was drafted in the 2nd. Glenn Winston even went undrafted. Beginning to get the picture here ? In short, there is just no other way to put it, LMJ is simply a bust just like his friend AJ Jenkins of the infamous 2012 disastrous draft.
LMJs numbers may look decent but the numbers don't tell the whole tale. The guy coughs up the ball way more often than he should be. We've just been lucky so far with the ball being recovered, bouncing out of bounds, or him being ruled down before letting it go.

You can't tell me you feel confident when this guy has the ball in his hands.

I'll admit that he has come up with some big plays in key moments (ie: the 50+ yard return at the end of the new England game in 2012) but I don't think his downsides are worth a few highlights here or there.
Originally posted by Rascal:
LMJ was overrated from the word go before the draft. I know there are a lot of Oregon Ducks fans around, their uniforms are cool, I get that. But, seriously the dude has no RB attributes, nothing whatsoever.

To begin with he is small (not trying to pick on small guys in any way), but if you are small you better be fast. All that hype about him being lightning fast is simply put complete BS. The guy has no football speed whatsoever. Then you add on indecisiveness and lack of vision, viola we have ourselves a bust !!

To be more fair to him, if he was picked say in the 4th or 5th round, perhaps people wouldn't be that harsh on him. But, come on, 2nd round ?! Carlos Hyde was drafted in the 2nd. Glenn Winston even went undrafted. Beginning to get the picture here ? In short, there is just no other way to put it, LMJ is simply a bust just like his friend AJ Jenkins of the infamous 2012 disastrous draft.

LMJ isn't the same as Winston, He is our COP back for this year and offers ST value, Winston is the same as Hyde. I can't believe people want Winston (UDFA for a reason) over LMJ, he has played in 2 preseason games against 2nd and 3rd string players. I hope he makes it to the PS and I actually would like him as the 4 RB on the 53 man roster if we keep 4 this year. LMJ avg 6.5 yds last night and is quick in the open field.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Rascal:

LMJ isn't the same as Winston, He is our COP back for this year and offers ST value, Winston is the same as Hyde. I can't believe people want Winston (UDFA for a reason) over LMJ, he has played in 2 preseason games against 2nd and 3rd string players. I hope he makes it to the PS and I actually would like him as the 4 RB on the 53 man roster if we keep 4 this year. LMJ avg 6.5 yds last night and is quick in the open field.

One of the biggest myths on the zone.
LMJ has never looked quick, fast, sudden, or any other synonym.
LMJ is simply an inferior RB.

He has return ability on ST, but Ellington is better and Cox can serve as a reserve.

I don't see LMJ as a player worthy of a roster spot on this team.
But, that is only my own superficial assessment, of course.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
One of the biggest myths on the zone.
LMJ has never looked quick, fast, sudden, or any other synonym.
LMJ is simply an inferior RB.

He has return ability on ST, but Ellington is better and Cox can serve as a reserve.

I don't see LMJ as a player worthy of a roster spot on this team.
But, that is only my own superficial assessment, of course.
Completely agree. The only reason he gets the change of pace tag is thanks to his slight stature NOT because he plays like one. Its too bad hunter got hurt because it would have really pushed LMJ off the roster. Hunter has just as much speed as LMJ. He can hit the edge just as quick but he can also run power. I'll mention the vision again. Hunter>LMJ in that department.

Had hunter still been healthy LMJ would be 4th in line right now. With Ellington out playing him as a returner and the possibility of Lattimore coming back where does that leave him?

Kind of sad that the only reason a 2nd round pick just a couple of years ago is still on this team is for emergency depth. He serves no other purpose.

So the question is:
Who do we out in that 3rd spot for now?
A guy who doesn't fit our scheme well and doesn't offer us much but is decent backup and knows the system
Or
A guy who fits our scheme but is raw and doesn't offer (atleast to my knowledge) any return ability

Edit: also forgot about Alfonso Smith. He can be that 3rd RB also
[ Edited by Dsoto87 on Aug 29, 2014 at 8:48 AM ]
I know there are a lot of people fascinated over LMJ because he was such a special player at Oregon, but the bottom line is he has looked extremely average in the NFL. He isnt as fast in the NFL as he was in college, fumbles often, injury prone, and no where near as explosive as Sproles, Vereen, or Woodhead. In addition, dude has serious confidence issues and I think it leads to under performance.

I wish we could trade him to the eagles for a future late round pick.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I know there are a lot of people fascinated over LMJ because he was such a special player at Oregon, but the bottom line is he has looked extremely average in the NFL. He isnt as fast in the NFL as he was in college, fumbles often, injury prone, and no where near as explosive as Sproles, Vereen, or Woodhead. In addition, dude has serious confidence issues and I think it leads to under performance.

Came to post something similar. I'm trying to think of a game in which I can say LMJ has made an impact his entire career. He always looks completely lost and drab out there. On runs and kickoffs in particular, he's not even trying to be the shifty guy he was at Oregon. His game has not translated at all into the NFL.

That's not saying I don't want the guy to be what I envisioned he would be coming out of college, but I haven't seen hardly anything yet. Not sure if it's us not using him right, or him just not being that good, but either or I don't think a change of scenery would hurt him all that much. Only problem with releasing him, is that there's a team up North that loves to steal our talent.

• cciowa
  • Veteran

i really do not think he has any value at all. sure its pre season but with bruce e. taking charge of the return game and some good showings from two running backs who can multi task more than james can,, he sure has no value to us in my opinion
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

Came to post something similar. I'm trying to think of a game in which I can say LMJ has made an impact his entire career. He always looks completely lost and drab out there. On runs and kickoffs in particular, he's not even trying to be the shifty guy he was at Oregon. His game has not translated at all into the NFL.

That's not saying I don't want the guy to be what I envisioned he would be coming out of college, but I haven't seen hardly anything yet. Not sure if it's us not using him right, or him just not being that good, but either or I don't think a change of scenery would hurt him all that much. Only problem with releasing him, is that there's a team up North that loves to steal our talent.

The only highlight that I can think of is his clutch return in New England that shifted the momentum back to us ftw!
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

2012 vs the Patriots and vs the Falcons in the NFC Championship Game.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
wouldn't be shocked if he got traded for a conditional 7th rouner
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
wouldn't be shocked if he got traded for a conditional 7th rouner

There is just no demand for this guy. Teams are probably thinking may be take a look at him when he gets cut. Perhaps the only way a trade could happen is if there was a package deal with someone else.
[ Edited by Rascal on Aug 29, 2014 at 8:22 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone