LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Shame on the coaching staff, esp OC and HC for not trying him out as a bailout for kap, or even a target for kap. THAT was what I thot this was all about. Sure LMJ wanted to run between the tackles, but sorry, this is NFL, not college. He is, or should have been used a la Sproles, and jH/roman NEVER used him like that, his very best position to play in NFL. In space the kid is stunningly good. I guess JH and roman just never thot to try him out that way. Oh, that's right, roman is just a run play caller...bs on that. He calls the plays, all of them. He isn't smart enough to have thot of what LMJ may really have excelled at.

Based on that, I am glad he gets to go elsewhere and show roman what he can do...but it won't be running between the tackles.

Oregon and me have gone over this time and time again since he was drafted. In college he was a between the tackles runner. Very rarely was he used in the manor you are describing. He has never been a great pass catcher, and he has never been used largely in that capacity, even in college.

The comparisons to sproles were never fair, and he was never going to be that player. I stated this over and over since day one. he doesnt have the lateral movement, vision, lower body strength, or body control that sproles has.

most of his best runs in college were runs where he was never even touched, or touched by very little contact and poor tackling technique. Thats not to say he didnt break tackles in college, because he did, but the nfl is a total different beast.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Shame on the coaching staff, esp OC and HC for not trying him out as a bailout for kap, or even a target for kap. THAT was what I thot this was all about. Sure LMJ wanted to run between the tackles, but sorry, this is NFL, not college. He is, or should have been used a la Sproles, and jH/roman NEVER used him like that, his very best position to play in NFL. In space the kid is stunningly good. I guess JH and roman just never thot to try him out that way. Oh, that's right, roman is just a run play caller...bs on that. He calls the plays, all of them. He isn't smart enough to have thot of what LMJ may really have excelled at.

Based on that, I am glad he gets to go elsewhere and show roman what he can do...but it won't be running between the tackles.

Oregon and me have gone over this time and time again since he was drafted. In college he was a between the tackles runner. Very rarely was he used in the manor you are describing. He has never been a great pass catcher, and he has never been used largely in that capacity, even in college.

The comparisons to sproles were never fair, and he was never going to be that player. I stated this over and over since day one. he doesnt have the lateral movement, vision, lower body strength, or body control that sproles has.

most of his best runs in college were runs where he was never even touched, or touched by very little contact and poor tackling technique. Thats not to say he didnt break tackles in college, because he did, but the nfl is a total different beast.

He caught over 50 passes in 3 seasons at Oregon...nothing spectacular, but also not indicative of someone who is useless in the passing game. The few times he was thrown to during his fill-in role in 2012, I believe he picked up 1st downs each time. The point is, and this isn't saying he would be as good as Sproles, but he easily could've been used in that type of role. Sproles makes a living of getting lost in the wash at the LOS where a LB has to try and find him, then goes just a couple yards downfield, catches the pass, and next thing you know it's a 12-yd gain, 1st down. I don't know how anyone--whether "pro" or "anti" LMJ--can try to claim with authority that this is what he can/can't do, when the fact is he's never really been given that chance. Well, okay, we know he's not a great PR, but that's not why he was drafted in the 2nd Round.
I wonder if this was a Balke pick that coach bumped heads over. Would Harbaugh sabotage LMJ to prove a point?
I bet this was a harbaugh pick. I think what happened was Baalke picked AJ Jenkins so then the next round Harbaugh got to pick and he went for LMJ and I hated both picks when they were made and I even hate them worse now. I just don't get how or what attracted Baalke and Harbaugh to AJJ and LMJ?? Theyre both skinny slow wimpy players that wont amount to anything in the NFL and to piss away a 1st and a 2nd is a SHAME
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
I wonder if this was a Balke pick that coach bumped heads over. Would Harbaugh sabotage LMJ to prove a point?

• Disp
  • Veteran

James was Harbaugh's pick, so not sure what point he would be proving. He's said a few times that he wanted him after seeing him tear up Stanford and the Pac 12.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

He caught over 50 passes in 3 seasons at Oregon...nothing spectacular, but also not indicative of someone who is useless in the passing game. The few times he was thrown to during his fill-in role in 2012, I believe he picked up 1st downs each time. The point is, and this isn't saying he would be as good as Sproles, but he easily could've been used in that type of role. Sproles makes a living of getting lost in the wash at the LOS where a LB has to try and find him, then goes just a couple yards downfield, catches the pass, and next thing you know it's a 12-yd gain, 1st down. I don't know how anyone--whether "pro" or "anti" LMJ--can try to claim with authority that this is what he can/can't do, when the fact is he's never really been given that chance. Well, okay, we know he's not a great PR, but that's not why he was drafted in the 2nd Round.

Sproles is sproles, because well...hes sproles.

He is able to do the things he does because he has a strong lower body, great body control, great lateral movement, and great vision. James has none of those. You cant just pick up a speedy undersized RB and assume they can fill the role sproles fills.

James wasnt that type of back in college, so why should we assume he could fill that role in the NFL?

The majority of James yards came from runs straight up the middle where his offensive line opened up huge holes for him and all he had to do was run as fast as he could through it. He thrived in that capacity, but the NFL is a total different beast.

Why do you think gore attempted to help him with his vision when he was first drafted? because he cant find anything besides a massive hole to run through, and he doesnt have the lateral movement or lower body strength to truly succeed with change of direction in the NFL.

Once again, james never was, and never will be successful in a Sproles type role.

Just the way i see it, and its my opinion of course. You can take it or leave it, but i have been saying the same thing since the day he was drafted and thus far he hasnt proved me wrong.
Originally posted by Disp:

James was Harbaugh's pick, so not sure what point he would be proving. He's said a few times that he wanted him after seeing him tear up Stanford and the Pac 12.

Harbaugh really doesnt need to have his hand on the draft. He works with and is effected by emotion. He is a great players coach precisely for this reason, but as far as the draft and making executive decisions, those decisions really need to be left to someone else.

He has an eye for young talent, and seemed to be a solid recruiter, but the jump from high school to college, is much different than the jump from college to the NFL.
LaDrake the type of dude to hi-five you with both hands

...and then lock fingers
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Like him a lot, but if Roman/Harbs

Might as well ship him off to a team that will use him properly...

i hate roman as much as i love mayo's penis but i am starting to think he is just not that good and again i have no confidence in him to return a punt

you haven't even seen LMJ's penis, so how do you know you won't luv it
i do not want to see his penis. in my opinion the penis of mayo has set the bar in the world of penis envy

fair enuff

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Sproles is sproles, because well...hes sproles.

He is able to do the things he does because he has a strong lower body, great body control, great lateral movement, and great vision. James has none of those. You cant just pick up a speedy undersized RB and assume they can fill the role sproles fills.

James wasnt that type of back in college, so why should we assume he could fill that role in the NFL?

The majority of James yards came from runs straight up the middle where his offensive line opened up huge holes for him and all he had to do was run as fast as he could through it. He thrived in that capacity, but the NFL is a total different beast.

Why do you think gore attempted to help him with his vision when he was first drafted? because he cant find anything besides a massive hole to run through, and he doesnt have the lateral movement or lower body strength to truly succeed with change of direction in the NFL.

Once again, james never was, and never will be successful in a Sproles type role.

Just the way i see it, and its my opinion of course. You can take it or leave it, but i have been saying the same thing since the day he was drafted and thus far he hasnt proved me wrong.

Harbaugh really doesnt need to have his hand on the draft. He works with and is effected by emotion. He is a great players coach precisely for this reason, but as far as the draft and making executive decisions, those decisions really need to be left to someone else.

He has an eye for young talent, and seemed to be a solid recruiter, but the jump from high school to college, is much different than the jump from college to the NFL.

This x1000.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I bet this was a harbaugh pick. I think what happened was Baalke picked AJ Jenkins so then the next round Harbaugh got to pick and he went for LMJ and I hated both picks when they were made and I even hate them worse now. I just don't get how or what attracted Baalke and Harbaugh to AJJ and LMJ?? Theyre both skinny slow wimpy players that wont amount to anything in the NFL and to piss away a 1st and a 2nd is a SHAME

This has been my gut feeling all along. That 2012 draft was designed to let each position coach and HC get their guys as Baalke's first real move as the GM. You can go right down the list too. It was an epic fail-approach. Baalke learned and has been running the show ever since. 2013 was very good and has potential to be off-the-charts and 2014 should be great as well.
Originally posted by Disp:

Agreed!
I would actually be surprised if the team got more than a 6th round pick for LMJ.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I don't see it that way. Not if they are bringing in a host of running backs for personal workouts, or visiting the facility. I simply see the team on the verge of moving on without LMJ. He is not going to be a feature back at his size. While Lattimore is more the prototypical back, the backfield is getting crowded with Gore, Hunter, Lattimore. Not sure where LMJ would fit. He is already a fourth string back on the roster.

Agree. He's not going to get a lot of playing time being more one dimensional than the other backs.
Share 49ersWebzone