LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
If we're not going to really use him - trade him for something else that'll work to our benefit.

That is the problem. He has not played enough to create any significant value.

I would love to hear the thinking and conversation between Harbaugh and Baalke on this pick. LMJ had a good career at Oregon and all signs pointed to him being at least a very good 3rd down back. However Harbaugh has never used him other than as a between-the-tackles back like Gore. LMJ is NOT Gore. Nothing similar at all. What Baalke saw and how Harbaugh has used him could not be more different. It just makes no sense at all. Baalke gave JH a toy he never asked for.

I doubt we could get more than a 6th for him.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
I don't want to see him go. This could be Gore's last year and we have been increadibly lucky with injuries at RB but that luck could run out this year.

I don't want to see him go either, but Kendall Hunter's torn left Achilles disagrees with your "lucky" comment!
[ Edited by English on Feb 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM ]
I think LMJ needs to lose weight and get back to how he was his rookie year

he put on weight this and it was noticeable that he lost speed/quickness compared to his rookie year.

the coaching staff probably wanted him to gain weight and fight to get the #2 RB job

now that its become abundantly clear he's just a change of pace back w/ some return skills (which are questionable at best)...it's best he loses that extra weight and gets back to being fleet of foot and make contributions that way
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
I don't want to see him go. This could be Gore's last year and we have been increadibly lucky with injuries at RB but that luck could run out this year.

I don't want to see him go either, but Kendall Hunter's torn left Achilles disagrees with your "lucky" comment!

Actually we have been lucky. Yes Kendall Hunter was injured. That sucks. But your number 2 back missing 7-8 games over the course of 2 years and all of your other tailbacks remaining healthy is pretty lucky. Especially when you consider the tailback position is the toughest position to remain healthy at. I have seen teams start someone who wasn't on the team opening day they had so many injuries.

That's good luck at any position. Imagine over the next 2 years your entire starting OL will be healthy but a back up will miss half of 1 season. Or you starting QB will be healthy but a back up will miss half a season over the next 2 years. How about your starting safeties? Your 2 starting TE's. Your 3 starting CB's in the nickel are healthy but a back up misses half a season over 2 years. D-line? LB's? That's pretty damn good luck. If we had that luck across the board we would have won 3 straight Superbowls.

2 years ago we lost the Superbowl because our starting PR/KR Ted Ginn Jr was out and his back up Kyle Williams turned the ball over twice.

Last year we lost the Superbowl because Justin Smith and Aldon Smith were both injured. If they are healthy and pressuring Flacco all game we win.

This year if we had Crabtree and Patton all season we win at least 1 more game during the season. We don't lose a 10-9 game like Carolina. 1 more win gives us the division title, the #1 seed, a bye week and home field advantage in the playoffs. We beat seattle at home and kick Denver's butt.

This year we lost 2 WR's we were counting on, Crabtree and Patton ,and Manningham who was supposed to come back mid season and contribute finally came back and was re-injured and we got nothing from him. Imagine that bad luck at the tailback position.
I can't believe we picked this guy in the 2nd round to be a kick returner and he's not even a great kick returner. He is shaky with the ball and fumbles and drops punts. He's too small to run between the tackles. The speed caught up to him in the NFL and he's not as effective running outside either. Now he says he wants to quit and wants to 49ers to drop him.

I say trade him or cut him if we can get a return man replacement.
Originally posted by Zachary:
i just hate that if LaMike goes to like the Pats, he will shine. Have to utilize the players...

they said the same thing about Tebow going to the Pats.
he dropped like one punt. idk why people are saying he drops it a lot
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
i just hate that if LaMike goes to like the Pats, he will shine. Have to utilize the players...

I don't think he is good enough. He doesn't even have breakaway speed at this level and with his size that should be his bread and butter. Yeah he is elusive, but for what? A few extra yards before he is arm tackled.

That plus he fumbles.

He averaged 4.6 yards per carry last year 4.9 this year. I think he's done well enough. And I didn't know a few extra yards was such a bad thing, even if he is arm tackled.

I think every 3rd/4th string back up could get 4.9 yardz per carry when he only getz 12 carries...Bottom line he dosent fit in with our team style...Beside his b*tchin N whinng is not how u act on this team he was a mistake of a pick ....

But every 3rd/4th string back doesn't get 4.9 a carry. He essentially was the backup the Frank Gore for the final four games of the 2012 regular season and into the playoffs. In those final four games, he average 4.6 per carry. He's done well. Now to address your point of fitting in with the teams style, what exactly is our style? He can primarily a trap-power running type of team, but you have to have the ability to change it up and mix in the potential for big plays. LaMichael James can bring that to this offense. I don't lke his complaining, but he's here for now and the reality is that he is insurance until there is someone to replace him. The only benefit I can see in letting go of LaMichael James is if the team planned to keep Anthony Dixon and give him more carries besides in short yardage situations. And although I like Dixon a lot more, I'd still prefer to keep James.

I don't think he is good enough. He doesn't even have breakaway speed at this level and with his size that should be his bread and butter. Yeah he is elusive, but for what? A few extra yards before he is arm tackled.

That plus he fumbles.

He averaged 4.6 yards per carry last year 4.9 this year. I think he's done well enough. And I didn't know a few extra yards was such a bad thing, even if he is arm tackled.

I think every 3rd/4th string back up could get 4.9 yardz per carry when he only getz 12 carries...Bottom line he dosent fit in with our team style...Beside his b*tchin N whinng is not how u act on this team he was a mistake of a pick ....

But every 3rd/4th string back doesn't get 4.9 a carry. He essentially was the backup the Frank Gore for the final four games of the 2012 regular season and into the playoffs. In those final four games, he average 4.6 per carry. He's done well. Now to address your point of fitting in with the teams style, what exactly is our style? He can primarily a trap-power running type of team, but you have to have the ability to change it up and mix in the potential for big plays. LaMichael James can bring that to this offense. I don't lke his complaining, but he's here for now and the reality is that he is insurance until there is someone to replace him. The only benefit I can see in letting go of LaMichael James is if the team planned to keep Anthony Dixon and give him more carries besides in short yardage situations. And although I like Dixon a lot more, I'd still prefer to keep James.

Itz so funny how so many still care N want his whinnin a** but just about everyone gave up on AJ after 1yr...LMJ has been given carries N even KR/PR duties N still hasnt shown any bigg play ability on a regular basis h*ll tha guy cant even beat out Dixon or Hunter but LMJ is a keeper ...N may I add that RB is probably tha easiest position to come in N play when goin frm college to tha pro'z....
[ Edited by tatdwolf49 on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:58 PM ]

That plus he fumbles.

Itz so funny how so many still care N want his whinnin a** but just about everyone gave up on AJ after 1yr...LMJ has been given carries N even KR/PR duties N still hasnt shown any bigg play ability on a regular basis h*ll tha guy cant even beat out Dixon or Hunter but LMJ is a keeper ...N may I add that RB is probably tha easiest position to cone in N play when goin frm college to tha pro'z....

You should already know, in the webzone dude is Darren Sproles 2.0 until Roman proves he isnt.

For those that say he hasn't shown any big play ability, I guess you missed the New England game last season and totally ignore what his production is the few times he has touched the ball.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Nothing against James, but we need that roster spot to be a WR. I feel that the PR/KR should be a shifty/fast WR that can line up with our other WR in the same play. There's too many dead plays having all these RB on the sideline and not seeing enough plays and expecting them to come in cold for 1 or 2 plays and make a difference.
Originally posted by titan:
Nothing against James, but we need that roster spot to be a WR. I feel that the PR/KR should be a shifty/fast WR that can line up with our other WR in the same play. There's too many dead plays having all these RB on the sideline and not seeing enough plays and expecting them to come in cold for 1 or 2 plays and make a difference.

kyle williams
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lucky_49:

kyle williams

Why? He sucked! How about a young guy from this RC class that has the speed,experience and maybe give him a shot.
Originally posted by lucky_49:

kyle williams

Why? He sucked! How about a young guy from this RC class that has the speed,experience and maybe give him a shot.

kyle williams
Share 49ersWebzone