LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
brandon jacobs 2.0. he must of been learning a lot from jacobs.
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Like how the coaches knew Ginn wasn't much of a WR and hardly used him in that role...even though his 35 catches and 5 TD receptions this year for the Panthers would've put him 3rd on the team only behind Boldin and Vernon? You mean like that?

Im just baffled as to why they don't take full advantage of his skill -set.

The offensive philosophy is too conservative to take full advantage of playmakers. Sure, they'll run a few gadget plays now and again, but the premise behind everything is "3 yards and a cloud of dust." And when that fails, it's all about hoping Boldin/Vernon can make a play on 3rd and long. Here's some telling stats:

32nd in First downs passing
32nd in Total Passing plays
30th in Total Passing yards
31st in Total Offensive plays
23rd in 3rd down conversions
23rd in Passing TDs
8th in Avg Yards per pass

3rd in Total Rushing plays
3rd in Total Rushing yards
4th in Rushing TDs
5th in First Downs rushing
9th in Avg Yards per rush

24th in Total Offensive yards
14th in Total TDs

So basically, we ran the ball a LOT, mostly using a 30 year-old RB and our franchise QB. We rarely threw the ball, but when we did it was either to Boldin or Vernon. Because of this HIGHLY predictable approach, we were bad at 3rd down conversions, ran fewer overall plays than only 1 other team in the league and made it fairly easy for teams to game plan against us. If not for Boldin and Kap's running ability, this offense would essentially be on par with the Nolan/Singletary years.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 30, 2014 at 11:58 AM ]
Originally posted by rapid4:
Worth more in trade to someone who wants him, than keeping and not using him. Get the #62 pick back from someone else and be done with it -- whatever Baalke thought was going to happen, didn't work out.

you arent getting a second round pick for the guy. this is the type of guy who fetches you a 6th rounder. he may have talent but nobody is just parting with a good to decent draft pick for a guy who hasnt done anything.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
James just hasn't impressed me much.
He hasn't gotten many opportunities either, though.

His rush average of just under 5.0 (on only 12 carries, of course) was best on the team only behind Kap, his kickoff return average of 26+ would be 7th in the NFL if he had more touches and his punt return average was 10th in the league right behind Golden Tate and ahead of more notable talents such as Trindon Holliday, Tavon Austin, Darren Sproles and Patrick Peterson.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Worth more in trade to someone who wants him, than keeping and not using him. Get the #62 pick back from someone else and be done with it -- whatever Baalke thought was going to happen, didn't work out.

you arent getting a second round pick for the guy. this is the type of guy who fetches you a 6th rounder. he may have talent but nobody is just parting with a good to decent draft pick for a guy who hasnt done anything.

this. think john baldwin and aj jenkins. they might have been 1st rounders but they have done jack s**t and youd only get another equal bust or late pick for him
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by crabman82:

this. think john baldwin and aj jenkins. they might have been 1st rounders but they have done jack s**t and youd only get another equal bust or late pick for him

To the say the kid has done nothing is pretty harsh and inaccurate. Statistically, he's one of the better KRs and PRs in the league, so where he's gotten his opportunities, he's done well compared to others across the league. He was also a 1st down machine in 2011 (relatively speaking, of course). 8 of his 27 carries (30%) went for 1st downs and all 3 of his receptions in 2012 went for 1st downs too. Not to mention that critical kickoff return against New England that possibly saved the game for us when the Pats had ALL the momentum.

When he's gotten chances, he's produced more often than not and the stats prove it. The fact that he hasn't gotten enough chances and why that's the case is another matter. If I were him, I'd rather go to another team too if this one isn't going to utilize me more. If your job is to play football, and you're paid according to how good you are/can be, I'd be pissed too if I didn't get enough touches. Hell, if the team doesn't feel I'm good enough to play, then get rid of me! Let me prove it somewhere else!
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 30, 2014 at 12:30 PM ]
I'll take 6th rounder for LMJ, lol
Worst. Draft. Ever.
I was hype when they drafted him. Like I can't wait to see him in open space. Then they proceed to never give him the ball.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Sounds like he's got his panties all in a bunch.

Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
James just hasn't impressed me much.
He hasn't gotten many opportunities either, though.

just when he was starting to impress me....... he drops the rock in the superbowl....................
If the coaches dont intend on using James in a Sproles - like roll, then get rid of him. We all thought when we drafted him in 2nd round that we would see him lined up in back field, in the slot, on screens, returning kicks/punts etc. now he is strictly a return man. I have to think were wasting his talents.

PPL on here say we need a quick, shifty slot WR, especially vs. an aggressive big secondary of Seattle. Well James was on the sidelines. You telling me he couldnt catch a bubble screen, or run a quick slant in the slot etc. Instead we run him to the right on a play designed for him to possibly throw it back to the QB lol.

Sometimes i wonder how our team wins as many games as we do.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
If the coaches dont intend on using James in a Sproles - like roll, then get rid of him. We all thought when we drafted him in 2nd round that we would see him lined up in back field, in the slot, on screens, returning kicks/punts etc. now he is strictly a return man. I have to think were wasting his talents.

PPL on here say we need a quick, shifty slot WR, especially vs. an aggressive big secondary of Seattle. Well James was on the sidelines. You telling me he couldnt catch a bubble screen, or run a quick slant in the slot etc. Instead we run him to the right on a play designed for him to possibly throw it back to the QB lol.

outside of return duties, without james
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:

Agreed...he AND Hunter could be electric in this role...where is Bruce Miller for our passing game? LOL

Share 49ersWebzone