LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
LMJ doesn't look as fast as everyone says he is. When he does get a chance to run or catches a quick pass, dude takes a while to hit full speed. He's fast once he hits full speed but he's not Sproles fast.

His top speed is decent, but his acceleration isn't. That's why I see him being more successful in KR than PR. Although since he's more quick than fast, he'll probably gash a team in PR if given enough opportunities. He uses the fair-catch when he's supposed to, but not all the frickin' time - as opposed to KW who used it as his go-to default.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
seattle given up 15 punt return yards all season so far. lmj better be with it on sunday.

WTF!!!??? That's insane!!

number of different factors though. good O keeps the ball and gets into fg range before having to punt. touchbacks punted into the endzone, fair catches, it all plays in. but yeah good coverage teams obviously

Not exactly. SEA is doing something different than most teams. They put on a very small punt and kick coverage. They force a ton of fair catches or most of the unit is already near the runner since they go small.

I wanna see us go a little bigger and blow the coverage up at the LOS for a punt block.

they are the 2nd highest scoring team in the league and that absolutely plays into that stat. if you're scoring, you're not punting.

That has very little to do with it. Look at the teams that are tops in the league in return average.

SEA: 1.3
STL: 3.0
PHI: 5.5
DET: 5.8
TEN: 6.0

SEA has an extraordinarily small and fast punt coverage unit. Probably smallest in the league. They get there quick.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM ]
seattle given up 15 punt return yards all season so far. lmj better be with it on sunday.

number of different factors though. good O keeps the ball and gets into fg range before having to punt. touchbacks punted into the endzone, fair catches, it all plays in. but yeah good coverage teams obviously

Not exactly. SEA is doing something different than most teams. They put on a very small punt and kick coverage. They force a ton of fair catches or most of the unit is already near the runner since they go small.

I wanna see us go a little bigger and blow the coverage up at the LOS for a punt block.

they are the 2nd highest scoring team in the league and that absolutely plays into that stat. if you're scoring, you're not punting.

That has very little to do with it. Look at the teams that are tops in the league in return average.

SEA has an extraordinarily small and fast punt coverage unit. Probably smallest in the league. They get there quick.

of the teams you listed, 3 of them are in the top 8 in league scoring ppg. if you're scoring, you're punting less which plays into it. now you still need good coverage no doubt about it, but when you're scoring and rarely punting you're giving fewer chances for the opposition to raise that average of yards per punt return.

of the teams you listed, 3 of them are in the top 8 in league scoring ppg. if you're scoring, you're punting less which plays into it. now you still need good coverage no doubt about it, but when you're scoring and rarely punting you're giving fewer chances for the opposition to raise that average of yards per punt return.

What does total punts have to do with return average against. A team can punt once a game but allow 10 yards. This isn't about total opportunities.

See the link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Special&cat=Punting&conference=NFL&year=season_2013&sort=412&timeframe=

Number of times punted doesn't not factor into an average return. For example, CAR only punted 49 times to SEA's 48, yet they are not a very good punt coverage team.

What does total punts have to do with return average against. A team can punt once a game but allow 10 yards. This isn't about total opportunities.

See the link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Special&cat=Punting&conference=NFL&year=season_2013&sort=412&timeframe=

Number of times punted doesn't not factor into an average return. For example, CAR only punted 49 times to SEA's 48, yet they are not a very good punt coverage team.

you have to be good on coverage in order to have those statistics no doubt. i'm just saying if they had to punt more than they do they'd be giving up more than their current average. its like a rb having 10 yards per carry, keep giving him the ball and its likely to be lower.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
LaEmo scares me when he's returning punts.
Originally posted by susweel:

Where's your sense of adventure? TD or fumble...roll the dice!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

still waiting on the td

still waiting on the td

did u miss it in the nfc title game?

you have to be good on coverage in order to have those statistics no doubt. i'm just saying if they had to punt more than they do they'd be giving up more than their current average. its like a rb having 10 yards per carry, keep giving him the ball and its likely to be lower.

Yes but I don't think a difference in 15 punts makes a big swing if a team has already held this average with 48 punts.

Short arms.

Yes but I don't think a difference in 15 punts makes a big swing if a team has already held this average with 48 punts.

fair point
James is scary, but he's courageous and aggressive. Seeing him field these punts is a lot better than watching Kyle Williams lifelessly call for a fair catch every play.

still waiting on the td

OK...no sense of adventure AND no imagination! There's no pleasing some people!
Saw an article that claims James is wrong for our O-line's strengths. He's more suited to screens and sweeps; our O-line isn't. Interesting. If so, why draft a player for whom we have few options other than returning kicks? Even Dixon is getting reps on offense. And while we're on the subject, this O-line that everyone claims is/was one of the best in the NFL, can't block on sweeps and screens? WTF? They're apparently having trouble blocking straight up the gut and off-tackle as well. And, Kap is getting alot of pressure on pass plays. That doesn't leave much else my friends! Neither James nor any other RB would have much luck under such circumstances.
Share 49ersWebzone