LaMichael James is a Niner

LMJ in for KR and COX for PR
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by iLL49er:
has LMJ ever shown he can catch the ball consistently?
Well no, but, he's short, black and fast, so we should automatically assume he possesses all of the ability and strengths of Darren Sproles.

Bingo.

About sums up the logic and intelligence that Ninertalk possesses.

I think he was being sarcastic, as was I. But yes, I know a handful of people here saw a quick, small running back and immediately said SPROLES!

Oh I know he was being sarcastic. I thought what he wrote was funny

Believe it or not Sproles wasn't used in the passing game at Kansas State as some might think. He was a power runner. He learned to catch with SD and that's when he became an NFL weapon.

I think people here (including me) see James' skill set as very similar to Sproles in college. Its a very tough comparison to rely on because the niners run a completely different scheme than the saints, but if James has the drive of Sproles, I don't see how he couldn't be used in a very similar fashion.
Who is this LaMicheal James you speak of?
49ers.com lists him as the starter at both returner spots, over Kyle who used to be the starter.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
49ers.com lists him as the starter at both returner spots, over Kyle who used to be the starter.

jesus,, i hope he has upped his game in regards to the punt returns. in two years worth of pre season, he has been horrid. would rather have cox back there but maybe i will be pleasantly surprised
this little emo better be out on there fielding punts day and night!
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Believe it or not Sproles wasn't used in the passing game at Kansas State as some might think. He was a power runner. He learned to catch with SD and that's when he became an NFL weapon.

I think people here (including me) see James' skill set as very similar to Sproles in college. Its a very tough comparison to rely on because the niners run a completely different scheme than the saints, but if James has the drive of Sproles, I don't see how he couldn't be used in a very similar fashion.

100% agree. Even he and Hunter as check-down options would be a nightmare for defenses. They are so focused on VD, Gore, Boldin and CK (as a runner), Hunter/Gore(James) are WIDE open. Nobody even pays attention to them b/c in reviewing game film, we rarely ever pass to them.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

this times infinity
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

this times infinity

Yeah, I don't get a warm fuzzy with LMJ on punts, would hate to see him muff one and wreck his confidence not to mention get benched...would rather have him only on KR and in the offense actually being utilized as a weapon, not just mop-up duty late in the 4th. But I'm sure they've been working a LOT with him on punts, so if they think he's ready...
Im a little excited and scared lmj will f**kup. luckily kyle williams high water mark seems attainable.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by iLL49er:
has LMJ ever shown he can catch the ball consistently?
Well no, but, he's short, black and fast, so we should automatically assume he possesses all of the ability and strengths of Darren Sproles.

Bingo.

About sums up the logic and intelligence that Ninertalk possesses.

I think he was being sarcastic, as was I. But yes, I know a handful of people here saw a quick, small running back and immediately said SPROLES!

Oh I know he was being sarcastic. I thought what he wrote was funny

Someone teach LMJ how to be a weapon catching passes out of the backfield and from the slot already. It's the only way he will ever contribute significantly to our offense with our depth at RB and Fysical (yeah, with an F) between the tackles style. A quick, shifty slot receiver is a commodity we don't currently have. Give the kid a shot.

Then again, maybe they've tried and he's awful at running routes, catching passes, finding soft spots in zone coverage, etc. and Kap doesn't trust him.
I'd really love to see the offense make it a point of focus to get the ball to LMJ out in space, at least give him the opportunity, if he can't catch, oh well, but if he can and becomes a useful weapon for this team, yet another target that defenses have to account for, it would do wonder for this offense. Most defenses have been playing way off on the checkdowns due to coverage on Boldin and VD or due to bringing extra pass-rushers, the checkdown guy has been left wide open a multitude of times, if the 49ers actually started punishing teams for doing that, it would really mess up their entire defensive approach.
He caught 51 passes in 3 seasons at Oregon (17 each season)...not bad considering how much they ran the ball and how much they spread the ball out to various weapons. Now it's just a matter of HaRo actually discovering that Bruce Miller is not the only RB who is allowed to catch a forward pass.
get this guy the ball in space. PLEASE! FK!

I along with many others have advocated for getting James involved in the passing game. Not only because of his speed, but also because he will rarely contribute as a running back. Even when Gore is retired, we still will have Kendall Hunter and Marcus Lattimore. If LaMichael James expects to have a regular role on this team, it will be in returning kicks, punts, as a pass catcher, and running reverses, sweeps, screens, etc. Also, I think Roger Craig wasn't exactly known as a pass catcher coming out of Nebraska, but boy did he become one in San Francisco.

You are right that if James has the drive of Darren Sproles, he will be successful. Hopefully he has the drive because the opportunity is there for the taking. He can solidify himself as the primary returner and as our homerun threat. I wonder if he recognizes this?