LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Buchy:
I think a few things on this:

1) I think his blocking is suspect perhaps so he can;t be on the field more, he won't unseat Gore or Hunter on that
2) If all we did was throw a screen or run pistol then as soon as he came on the field the defense would know the call.

Exactly!

Gore and Hunter can go inside and outside. James screams of a one dimensional player and the D would know it. If Latt comes back 100% I would bet we resign Dixon cheap and dump James. Actually we could probably trade him to Philly.

Sproles doesn't scream one dimensional?
My thoughts? Roman is trying to form Kap to be a legit pocket passer. To do this, the last thing Kap needs is new cogs around him. He needs vets who know how to improvise in case plays do not go as planned. Until then, don't expect guys like LMJ, kYle Williams, Baldwin or Patten to contribute.

LMJ isn't close to Sproles' talent level.

So you can decree this from the extremely limited number of touches James has been given? Sproles has made a living coming out of the backfield and burning LB's who can't find him, catches a 5-yd pass and turns it into chunk yardage. Have you seen HaRo put James into situations to utilize his very similar skill set?

His lack of dressing for the games is proof of this. Obviously he isn't some kind of elite talent, if he was he wouldn't be getting passed up by Dix and KW. Either Harbs has a massive grudge or the kid isn't as good as people think. You really believe Harbs likes KW's return ability or the lack of true speed on O?

1) I think his blocking is suspect perhaps so he can;t be on the field more, he won't unseat Gore or Hunter on that
2) If all we did was throw a screen or run pistol then as soon as he came on the field the defense would know the call.

Exactly!

Gore and Hunter can go inside and outside. James screams of a one dimensional player and the D would know it. If Latt comes back 100% I would bet we resign Dixon cheap and dump James. Actually we could probably trade him to Philly.

My thoughts? Roman is trying to form Kap to be a legit pocket passer. To do this, the last thing Kap needs is new cogs around him. He needs vets who know how to improvise in case plays do not go as planned. Until then, don't expect guys like LMJ, kYle Williams, Baldwin or Patten to contribute.

So you can decree this from the extremely limited number of touches James has been given? Sproles has made a living coming out of the backfield and burning LB's who can't find him, catches a 5-yd pass and turns it into chunk yardage. Have you seen HaRo put James into situations to utilize his very similar skill set?

Sproles is an explosive running back with speed and quickness. Quite frankly, LMJ hasn't lived up to his college billing as an explosive runner at the NFL level. Talent finds the field and it appears to me LMJ hasn't shown enough in practice to warrant being on the field. This is a knock on Baalke more than LMJ as he wasn't responsible for being drafted so early.

That's not to say LMJ can't be a decent NFL change of pace back, but who are you going to sit? Gore is the obvious #1, Kendall Hunter has shown more than LMJ as the #2 guy, and Dixon fits as a situational short-yardage back and works on special teams. Who sits to make room for LMJ? I'm sorry, but I think the coaches have the RB situation handled pretty well; they can't control who Baalke drafts for them.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Oct 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM ]
I feel sorry for the lil homie, he deserves to be out there compare to bums like Kyle Williams & Marlon Moore
TB likely lost Martin for the year...wonder what they'd give for James?
Originally posted by ltrain:
TB likely lost Martin for the year...wonder what they'd give for James?

TB WR Mike Williams for James and a 3rd or 4th rounder?
While I personally feel LaMJ has alot of talent and he is going to have a good career, I am so tired of his little nit picky antics. It makes him look so bad, his little twitter fits and always talking to everyone else looking for re-enforcement. Ive grown tired of him, hes starting to be a Brandon Jacobs. You never hear about him posting, working hard to be better, grinding every day, its always they dont play me, i dont know why, im not insurance, retweeting other peoples quotes about himself. Its real tiring. Oct 29 cant come fast enough for me. I hope he has a lights out career because i just know he can. But first the light has to come on, you get on the field by being better than the other guy. Its the nature of the NFL. He is not better than the other guys. Period
we're deep at rb and they determined they'd rather suit up either an extra d-lineman or someone who contributes on sp teams coverage unit.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yeah. James gets arm tackled. Doesn't mesh with our power running game. He wasn't active for games last year until hunter went down and its happening again this year.

Baalke's 2012 draft was a complete disaster. Not even one player starting or promising.

James should not have to be part of the power running game. He was never that at Oregon. He COULD be a nice change of pace back, swing man out of the backfield, etc. We have discussed all this. However, the key point has just been reinforced once again yesterday: HaRo have no clue how to use this guy.

He should have some trade value but he doesn't due to the choice by the coaching staff to try to fit a square peg into a round hole. Therefore, I am assuming he will be released at some point and go to a team like New Orleans who will turn him into a very nice weapon out of the backfield. I'm sure Mike McCarthy in Green Bay would love to have him as well. He needs to go to a team that runs stretch plays and runs multiple receiver offenses. Baalke would be lucky to get a more than a conditional 7th that could be a 6th.

TOTAL disconnect between Baalke and Harbaugh on even choosing James in the draft. Why Baalke drafted him without consulting Harbaugh is a mystery to me.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame

all that talent going to waste.

Exactly!

His lack of dressing for the games is proof of this. Obviously he isn't some kind of elite talent, if he was he wouldn't be getting passed up by Dix and KW. Either Harbs has a massive grudge or the kid isn't as good as people think. You really believe Harbs likes KW's return ability or the lack of true speed on O?

I don't know why Harbaugh is so stubborn in his use of KW, it's one of those enigmas wrapped inside a riddle. I know there are injuries to the WR corps, but it's not just this year...KW sees the field a lot, gets a lot of reps, and I just don't see anything special about him.

I would absolutely rather see LMJ have packages for him where he can line up in the slot, have him in the pistol next to/behind Kaepernick and force LB's to not lose him in the wash at the LOS on short pass routes, set up screens/reverses/swings/wheel routes for him. Get him the ball in space. And the dude CAN run the ball...so he gets knocked down for no gain sometimes...happens to Gore, Hunter, and Sproles, too. Look at the only game LMJ got any amount of extended carries this season, it was vs the Rams. Yes, only the Rams, but at the point in the game they knew the Niners were going to run the ball, but they were running stretch plays and LMJ was still hitting the edge FAST and looked good.

Last season Harbaugh sat on LMJ and only played him once his hand was forced with the Hunter injury. And James produced...in 4 reg season games over 4.5 ypc, only caught 3 passes but all went for 1st downs. Plus he can return kicks....and can do it much better than KW. I just don't get where this notion comes from that he doesn't have what it takes to be one of those dynamic guys that's lightning in a bottle. It's kinda hard to prove himself when he's in street clothes...yes, this can become a circular argument, because why is he in street clothes then? Good question. It really might be as simple as maybe he's an immature a-hole and Harbaugh doesn't like his act, and unless Harbaugh feels it's a pressing need to have him in there, then he's not going to play. I think it's too bad, because I do believe he is a playmaker and just a small handful of plays for him would be a nice added dimension to this offense.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Oct 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM ]

i think they dont like him because he talks out online all the time. hes a better return man than williams by far and williams contributes nothing as a receiver so the fact that he plays and james doesnt tells me he's in the doghouse. hopefully they can trade him for something if theyre gonna cut him loose anyway when lattimore is healthy next year
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i think they dont like him because he talks out online all the time. hes a better return man than williams by far and williams contributes nothing as a receiver so the fact that he plays and james doesnt tells me he's in the doghouse. hopefully they can trade him for something if theyre gonna cut him loose anyway when lattimore is healthy next year

i think so too. dude is always whining on twitter and i really think it rubs Harbaugh the wrong way
They seem to have a tendency to draft guys fairly high and then not use them; in fact, not even dress them for games! I got that with Jenkins, but LMJ seems to have some legit talent, and, as said elsewhere, is a better return man than Williams and can't be much worse in the passing game. It's not like the offense is on fire; the D has been our strength. The O could use a jolt. If they're trying to make a point with the young man, re his spouting off, I think it's been made, unless there's some behind the scenes mutiny we don't know about. Not using him is hurting any potential trade value as well. Seems dumb.
  • Liono
Does LMJ whine online "all the time" or did he do it once?
  • Liono
I posted a video of all of James touches last year, where is he getting "arm tackled"? I seen plenty of cases where he goes down on outside runs due to being bottled up by 3 defenders, but where is he getting arm tackled? He squats over 500 pounds and has quite a bit more power than people give him credit for.

I think power is a bit over-rated anyway. What matters is gaining yards.
[ Edited by Liono on Oct 21, 2013 at 12:49 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone