LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

LaMichael James was a Niner (CUT!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I've said in other threads I'd love to know what another OC could do with all these weapons. I've seen so many more do more with less.

I believe this is the biggest root cause of everything. We have x2 the weapons, if not way more, than most teams yet I continually witness teams with far less talent and "no-names" produce at a rapid rate d/t scheme, offensive philosophy, opportunities, etc.

This Grant article just about covers all of our concerns as well...http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/10/commentary/deep-trouble-for-49ers-passing-game-starting-with-play-calling/. Here are some highlights:

Since the Packers game, Kaepernick has posted Tim-Tebow-like numbers – 50 percent completions and a putrid 62 passer rating over the past four games.

– not going through the full progression, sensing pressure that isn't there and missing open receivers downfield.

Baalke couldn't take it. He burst out of his chair. "Throw the ball!" he yelled.

The issue is the 49ers' passing scheme. It lacks rhythm and continuity.

Name the 49ers' go-to passing play.

The 49ers' offensive philosophy has become simple: Run the ball, or fake the run and chuck it downfield.

The 49ers currently lead the league in that category, going three-and-out on 43 percent of their drives.

The 49ers have Kaepernick throwing the ball more than 20 yards downfield 15 percent of the time, close to the league high. Compare that to Alex Smith, who threw it downfield 8.7 percent of the time last season when he was a 49er, or Peyton Manning, who currently is throwing the ball downfield on 9.1 percent of his passes.

Last season, Kaepernick was the best downfield passer in the NFL. According to Pro Football Focus, his downfield accuracy was 60 percent (counting catches and drops). This season, his downfield accuracy has plummeted to 30 percent. But the 49ers keep making him throw deep 15 percent of the time.

You'd think the 49ers would adjust their play-calling to help Kaepernick end his slump. "I don't know that we're going to bang our head into a brick wall all day. We want to give our players a chance to be successful." That's what Greg Roman said on Sept. 19 in response to a question concerning his running game. It's time for him to apply his own advice to his anemic, 31st-ranked passing game.

He completed two passes after the first drive of the game.

It is Jim Harbaugh's and Greg Roman's job to give Kaepernick a chance to develop continuity and confidence. Harbaugh and Roman must start calling more "small" throws, easy completions, confidence boosters that get other receivers involved and developed as potential weapons. It is not all about deep passes. The 49ers need to call more slants, more bubble screens, more one-step hitch routes. Let the receiver get yards after the catch like a punt returner. Get him "in space" where he can go one-on-one against a defensive back.

Take the pressure off Kaepernick until he breaks out of his slump. Go back to the basics and re-establish a foundation for the passing offense.

You know, the West Coast Offense. Bill Walsh stuff. Classic 49ers stuff.
Ammmmmmmmeeeen! Time to ditch the Anti-WCO College Offense and revisit the "WCO Library" before we ruin Kaepernick.

This is a great read and so true hopefully the coaches wake up and just go back to last years offense
  • thl408
I believe this is the biggest root cause of everything. We have x2 the weapons, if not way more, than most teams yet I continually witness teams with far less talent and "no-names" produce at a rapid rate d/t scheme, offensive philosophy, opportunities, etc.

This Grant article just about covers all of our concerns as well...http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/10/commentary/deep-trouble-for-49ers-passing-game-starting-with-play-calling/. Here are some highlights:

Since the Packers game, Kaepernick has posted Tim-Tebow-like numbers – 50 percent completions and a putrid 62 passer rating over the past four games.

– not going through the full progression, sensing pressure that isn't there and missing open receivers downfield.

Baalke couldn't take it. He burst out of his chair. "Throw the ball!" he yelled.

The 49ers' offensive philosophy has become simple: Run the ball, or fake the run and chuck it downfield.

The 49ers currently lead the league in that category, going three-and-out on 43 percent of their drives.

The 49ers have Kaepernick throwing the ball more than 20 yards downfield 15 percent of the time, close to the league high. Compare that to Alex Smith, who threw it downfield 8.7 percent of the time last season when he was a 49er, or Peyton Manning, who currently is throwing the ball downfield on 9.1 percent of his passes.

Last season, Kaepernick was the best downfield passer in the NFL. According to Pro Football Focus, his downfield accuracy was 60 percent (counting catches and drops). This season, his downfield accuracy has plummeted to 30 percent. But the 49ers keep making him throw deep 15 percent of the time.

You'd think the 49ers would adjust their play-calling to help Kaepernick end his slump. "I don't know that we're going to bang our head into a brick wall all day. We want to give our players a chance to be successful." That's what Greg Roman said on Sept. 19 in response to a question concerning his running game. It's time for him to apply his own advice to his anemic, 31st-ranked passing game.

It is Jim Harbaugh's and Greg Roman's job to give Kaepernick a chance to develop continuity and confidence. Harbaugh and Roman must start calling more "small" throws, easy completions, confidence boosters that get other receivers involved and developed as potential weapons. It is not all about deep passes. The 49ers need to call more slants, more bubble screens, more one-step hitch routes. Let the receiver get yards after the catch like a punt returner. Get him "in space" where he can go one-on-one against a defensive back.

Take the pressure off Kaepernick until he breaks out of his slump. Go back to the basics and re-establish a foundation for the passing offense.

Ammmmmmmmeeeen! Time to ditch the Anti-WCO College Offense and revisit the "WCO Library" before we ruin Kaepernick.

Nice stats posted in the article about how most passes are still going deep, but the success rate is pathetic compared to last season.

You cannot run short routes (bubble screens, one step hitches) when the CB is playing press man. You are asking for pick 6s. The CB has to be giving a slight cushion to pull this off. They have run two bubble screens the last two weeks. The one versus the Rams, Patton decided to catch the ball then start running towards the middle of the field where all the LBs are. He gets smashed and breaks his foot. Still no clue why he thought running towards the middle of the field would earn him more space to elude tacklers.

Versus HOU, they ran one to Boldin. A key aspect to a WR bubble screen is having the other WRs block. Kyle loses his block and the play is blown up before it had a chance. They also ran 3 screen plays to RBs in the Rams game. One to the left which failed miserably to Gore (incomplete), one to the right where Kap didn't throw the ball to Hunter (Robert Quinn sacked Kap and kisses his bicep). Then the one to Hunter in the middle of the field which worked for a first down (like NC mentioned).

Slants to Boldin and Baldwin can work, but there must be confidence to throw into a tight window and the ability for the WR to use his body to shield the defender, this is plausible in both respects. I feel, the way to beat man coverage is double moves with confidence from the QB to throw WRs open (before the WR makes his second move). Kap does not have the confidence to make these kind of throws. Whether that lack of confidence is with himself or the WR, who knows.

Taking this back to LMJ. He can be a very key weapon in getting Kap out of this funk. Short passes to the RBs is exactly what this offense needs. With the LBs always playing an intermediate zone and spying on Kap, the flats are open to RBs. Hit LMJ or Hunter in stride and see what they can do versus a LB in space. This is 'Classic 49er stuff'. How many times did Roger Craig, Ricky Watters, and Tom Rathman get these short passes? Lots, and eventually it makes the LBs creep up, then that opens up other areas of the field.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Screen passes!!!!

yeah i dont get it.. i havent seen the nines utilize the screen passes that much and yet they have some TE's to line up at receivers.. get LMJ outs on the field more!!
Originally posted by thl408:

Nice stats posted in the article about how most passes are still going deep, but the success rate is pathetic compared to last season.

You cannot run short routes (bubble screens, one step hitches) when the CB is playing press man. You are asking for pick 6s. The CB has to be giving a slight cushion to pull this off. They have run two bubble screens the last two weeks. The one versus the Rams, Patton decided to catch the ball then start running towards the middle of the field where all the LBs are. He gets smashed and breaks his foot. Still no clue why he thought running towards the middle of the field would earn him more space to elude tacklers.

Versus HOU, they ran one to Boldin. A key aspect to a WR bubble screen is having the other WRs block. Kyle loses his block and the play is blown up before it had a chance. They also ran 3 screen plays to RBs in the Rams game. One to the left which failed miserably to Gore (incomplete), one to the right where Kap didn't throw the ball to Hunter (Robert Quinn sacked Kap and kisses his bicep). Then the one to Hunter in the middle of the field which worked for a first down (like NC mentioned).

Slants to Boldin and Baldwin can work, but there must be confidence to throw into a tight window and the ability for the WR to use his body to shield the defender, this is plausible in both respects. I feel, the way to beat man coverage is double moves with confidence from the QB to throw WRs open (before the WR makes his second move). Kap does not have the confidence to make these kind of throws. Whether that lack of confidence is with himself or the WR, who knows.

Taking this back to LMJ. He can be a very key weapon in getting Kap out of this funk. Short passes to the RBs is exactly what this offense needs. With the LBs always playing an intermediate zone and spying on Kap, the flats are open to RBs. Hit LMJ or Hunter in stride and see what they can do versus a LB in space. This is 'Classic 49er stuff'. How many times did Roger Craig, Ricky Watters, and Tom Rathman get these short passes? Lots, and eventually it makes the LBs creep up, then that opens up other areas of the field.

Very nice post...just saw this! Love the points about the slant and utilizing James better.
The problem is he and Hunter have very similar skillsets. Hard to split up carries between two similar back, when those carries are limited already.

TBH i would consider shipping out one or the other if the right offer came through. Neither will be a feature back when Gore is done, and no point having both on the roster if one is just gona waste away their early career not getting carries.
I think the Quick hitting WHAM run plays with LMJ would work really well with his quickness. And also like you guys are saying screen passes also.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
get this kid the ball. spread the love harbaugh!
Great posts and totally agree w/the exasperation that Roman's play calling causes.

Does anyone think Baalke mentioned this to JH. I know Baalke does his thing and stays out of coaching which is how it should be BUT common man!
The day we drafted LMJ, I was thrilled . We were so stacked with talent that we could burn a 2nd rd pick on a guy they were going to use like sproles. Heck we drafted a position player...we were that loaded with talent. Man, Coach missed it last yr, but I knew, I just knew he would use LMJ like sproles this yr. Nope, not this yr either. Suddenly it seems like we REALLY drafted him to run between tackles, twice his size? NO WAY. I still say, Coach has missed the boat on this and blame goes to humpty Roman....at least most of it. JH should be aware of sproles like players and how they can impact a game. Especially now that kap has dwindled down to becoming our GAME MANAGER. Where and what have JH and roman been thinking. LMJ in the backfield as outlet receiver is a natural for a lame QB who can't break 50% pass completion. A sproles like guy might just help kap , since he can't pick up anyone more than 6 yds away.

Some wag long ago noted kaps eyes are really close together. And yes they are. He then theorized that because kap had hypoteleorisim, he could see not as much of the field as other qBs with normal spacing of their eyes. I laughed at that. Now....
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The day we drafted LMJ, I was thrilled . We were so stacked with talent that we could burn a 2nd rd pick on a guy they were going to use like sproles. Heck we drafted a position player...we were that loaded with talent. Man, Coach missed it last yr, but I knew, I just knew he would use LMJ like sproles this yr. Nope, not this yr either. Suddenly it seems like we REALLY drafted him to run between tackles, twice his size? NO WAY. I still say, Coach has missed the boat on this and blame goes to humpty Roman....at least most of it. JH should be aware of sproles like players and how they can impact a game. Especially now that kap has dwindled down to becoming our GAME MANAGER. Where and what have JH and roman been thinking. LMJ in the backfield as outlet receiver is a natural for a lame QB who can't break 50% pass completion. A sproles like guy might just help kap , since he can't pick up anyone more than 6 yds away.

Some wag long ago noted kaps eyes are really close together. And yes they are. He then theorized that because kap had hypoteleorisim, he could see not as much of the field as other qBs with normal spacing of their eyes. I laughed at that. Now....

Heres the thing, LMJ was never a sproles clone. He wasnt at Oregon, and he was never gonna be for the 49ers. People like me and oregon went over this repeatedly since he was drafted.

He has never been a receiving threat like sproles, and he has always had limited ST ability. Alot of people saw his size, quickness, and speed, and compared him to sproles, it was never a fair comparison to begin with. He is also VERY proficient at running through the tackles if he is not hit at or behind the LOS. He is simply not strong enough to break tackles, but he is very proficient and elusive at running between the tackles. He is especially good at doing it from shotgun, but the fact that he cant block has limited his ability to be used in this way at the NFL level. Thats where he made his money in oregon, between the tackles from the shotgun formation.

Dont take my word for it, watch his highlights, or talk to a guy like Oregon who followed his career closely.

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Heres the thing, LMJ was never a sproles clone. He wasnt at Oregon, and he was never gonna be for the 49ers. People like me and oregon went over this repeatedly since he was drafted.

He has never been a receiving threat like sproles, and he has always had limited ST ability. Alot of people saw his size, quickness, and speed, and compared him to sproles, it was never a fair comparison to begin with. He is also VERY proficient at running through the tackles if he is not hit at or behind the LOS. He is simply not strong enough to break tackles, but he is very proficient and elusive at running between the tackles. He is especially good at doing it from shotgun, but the fact that he cant block has limited his ability to be used in this way at the NFL level. Thats where he made his money in oregon, between the tackles from the shotgun formation.

Dont take my word for it, watch his highlights, or talk to a guy like Oregon who followed his career closely.

I definitely understand your concern and those who really watched James in Oregon make perfect sense. But I've asked this before. Was Roger Craig a great pass catching back coming out of Nebraska? Sometimes you can take the natural ability of a player and give him the opportunity to add a another dimension to his game. If thy didn't think James had the ability, drafting him, especially in the 2nd round, really doesn't make any sense.

I definitely understand your concern and those who really watched James in Oregon make perfect sense. But I've asked this before. Was Roger Craig a great pass catching back coming out of Nebraska? Sometimes you can take the natural ability of a player and give him the opportunity to add a another dimension to his game. If thy didn't think James had the ability, drafting him, especially in the 2nd round, really doesn't make any sense.

Look i like LMJ, but drafting him made no sense regardless. You do not spend a second rounder on a third RB, especially when you have two very competent backs ahead of him. Never made alot of sense. I like him as a 49er, but his career is being wasted. He would likely never be a true feature back, but he certainly could likely start on some of these RB hungry teams, and could definately get more carries than he is getting on others.

Same thing with Hunter. Hunter could start on some teams in the NFL. He is better as a change of pace back, not someone i would personally like to see as a feature back here, but he could start on another roster.

Its just sad to see RB's get lost to depth like this when they have ability because their careers are so short in the NFL.

Dont get me wrong, love the depth and insurance we have at the RB position. Its one of the strongest if not the strongest positions on the roster.

Look i like LMJ, but drafting him made no sense regardless. You do not spend a second rounder on a third RB, especially when you have two very competent backs ahead of him. Never made alot of sense. I like him as a 49er, but his career is being wasted. He would likely never be a true feature back, but he certainly could likely start on some of these RB hungry teams, and could definately get more carries than he is getting on others.

Same thing with Hunter. Hunter could start on some teams in the NFL. He is better as a change of pace back, not someone i would personally like to see as a feature back here, but he could start on another roster.

Its just sad to see RB's get lost to depth like this when they have ability because their careers are so short in the NFL.

Dont get me wrong, love the depth and insurance we have at the RB position. Its one of the strongest if not the strongest positions on the roster.

I agree. You'd think that there would have to be some kind of plan in place to do more with him because there are only so many carries to go around. Best case scenario,James gets 5 to 7 a game, which to me still isn't really enough to utilize a back with his considerable talents. Unless he is more involved in the passing game, it doesn't make any sense at all.
The problem is that he isn't even a threat in the passing game. He has zero route running skills at this point and is relegated to stretch and outside pitch running plays. He will continue to see limited action while he works on receiving capabilities.

You pretty much just said it all. He was practically never used in the passing game outside of the 2011 National Championship against Auburn when we tried to get him the ball outside the tackle box because Nick Farely was eating our offensive line alive, so we threw him some screen passes. He also had one big catch against Washington State his junior year, but that's literally about it.

I mentioned on this thread a few pages ago, but I really want to see us start using him the same way the Bengals are using Giovani Bernard. They are eerily similar players and have the same skill set (although Bernard was used as more of a pass catcher at UNC). The Bengals realize that he has game-breaking abilities, and thus try to get the ball in his hands as many ways as possible. I've seen screen passes, sending him out wide, running in between the tackles, tosses, etc. I realize that the Bengals don't have the luxury of having a Frank Gore/Kendall Hunter atop their depth chart, but they are getting a ton of production out of him as a rookie. There's no way you can convince me that James can't do anything Bernard can.

It is frustrating to see such a talented player and high draft pick get lost in the shuffle, especially when our offense is missing play makers at the skill position.
Share 49ersWebzone