LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by jreff22:
not $$$-value of the pick

trading back and getting an additional pick then taking that pick with our original 2nd and moving up higher in the 2nd could net a better player to couple with Jenkins

This is the same problem people had with the aldon pick, trading back means your player doesn't have a first round grade on your draft board therefore you're uncomfortable taking him in the first. If he didn't have a first round grade by the scouts, we wouldn't have taken him.

As we can see there is no guarantee that X player goes in Y position. If X player is your target, why risk not getting the player you want? You're talking about phoning not just one but two different teams to trade down, orchestrating some massive strategy to get a player who could be picked by one of the the very teams you're trading with.(It's not like when you trade teams usually say "I'm taking X player".

Again, this is another example of someone who looks at media rankings too much. Baalke and co. have their own board with its own values independent of every other team out there. If Jenkins tops your list, then it's just stupid to risk not getting your player for an extra 3rd or something.

Vikings called to move up, the deal could of happened.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
You sure about that? The rams had been eyeing him previously and hadn't snagged any weapons for Bradford dude: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=783139-rams-worked-out-a.j.-jenkins

I think he would have been their pick at 33. They picked Avery in 2008 and that was a huge reach as well. They like fast WR in the early part of the draft. Baalke probably knew what the rams wanted to do and acted accordingly.
The rams probably would've taken Jenkins at 33, they have no weapons for Bradford. I know you don't think he's a red zone threat but he has big hands, long arms, and a 38.5 inch vertical leap. I think he'll do better there than you expect.

I seriously doubt he would've been the pick at 33. We reached.

You sure about that? The rams had been eyeing him previously and hadn't snagged any weapons for Bradford dude: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=783139-rams-worked-out-a.j.-jenkins

We had meetings with other players we past on, the Rams have a lot of picks in the 2nd...would they take him at 33 I doubt it...with one of the other 2nds possibly so.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

I think he would have been their pick at 33. They picked Avery in 2008 and that was a huge reach as well. They like fast WR in the early part of the draft. Baalke probably knew what the rams wanted to do and acted accordingly.

agreed
Originally posted by mug0mug:
People keep mentioning needing someone who can go up and snatch away the ball ala Moss, or in the draft Fleener or Hill etc, but while that's nice, I don't really agree. That essentially means you're counting on the guy to catch the ball when he's not really open. Alex shouldn't be throwing to receivers when they're not open and a receiver like Jenkins seems to fit us nicely precisely because he can get seperation and has great hands.

Alex only throws to WR's that are WIDE open. Homeboy can't pull the trigger.

trading back and getting an additional pick then taking that pick with our original 2nd and moving up higher in the 2nd could net a better player to couple with Jenkins

This is the same problem people had with the aldon pick, trading back means your player doesn't have a first round grade on your draft board therefore you're uncomfortable taking him in the first. If he didn't have a first round grade by the scouts, we wouldn't have taken him.

As we can see there is no guarantee that X player goes in Y position. If X player is your target, why risk not getting the player you want? You're talking about phoning not just one but two different teams to trade down, orchestrating some massive strategy to get a player who could be picked by one of the the very teams you're trading with.(It's not like when you trade teams usually say "I'm taking X player".

Again, this is another example of someone who looks at media rankings too much. Baalke and co. have their own board with its own values independent of every other team out there. If Jenkins tops your list, then it's just stupid to risk not getting your player for an extra 3rd or something.

And we also could have lost Jenkins who could turn into a real good player....
Originally posted by Butter:

ha
Originally posted by Butter:

ha

So good thing we picked another guy with speed to team with Davis then huh....
Is Jenkins the fastest guy on our team?
Is Jenkins the fastest guy on our team?

Probably Vernon. Maybe Ginn. But when you look at relative "size to speed" ratio it's definitely VD...

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

And we also could have lost Jenkins who could turn into a real good player....

This
He was also real surprised he was picked that early lol

Awesome pick
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

For a second, just a second, I saw tint of red and gold.....Maybe its my eyes..

That's a pretty impressive game he had. Man I hope this kid is our #3 opening day. He could cause nightmares for the opposing defenses with all those crossing routes. Like other posters have said, he looks ALOT like Victor Cruz. I like the pick!
Under the old regime the reactions to this pick likely would have been way worse. Love the fact that most of us now trust our guys to go after the right players in the first round. There's no telling what type of player he will become but let's give the guy a shot. I watch a lot of Michigan football, lots of Big Ten games and this guy has always been a gamer.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Great hands, catches balls away from body • Runs smooth routes with clean cuts • Excellent timed speed •

Sounds like a WCO WR to me!
Share 49ersWebzone