There are 235 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Loos like a fast Brandon Lloyd
Mike Wallace

Might be time to get a customized jersey with "Leeroy" on the back.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=486802

Not sure you guys can get to there without being a member. Good things from those guys... one said Lloyd, a few said Santonio Holmes. Another thread on there someone mentioned Jeremy Maclin.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM ]
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
He doesn't have the YAC ability that Cruz has. And that ESP to know exactly where to be to help his QB out. Here's a comp: Greg Jennings.

I've watched Tape so you can trust what I say to be true.

fixed
  • cools
  • Veteran
Does OTC and MD have access to coaches overhead game tape, Invites to pro days/combine, a chair in the interview room, hired scouts that have attended games?

I like reading their opinions and draft ratings, but If i want to know if I have a brain tumor, Im gonna trust the Doc, not my buddy who watches ER

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by mike:
Of course there are some beastly tall guys who are solid redzone targets and maybe 5 guys stand above the rest with at least 10 touchdowns.

But there are also plenty of examples of shorter guys putting up plenty of touchdowns in the 7-9 TD range- Greg Jennings, Welker, Cruz, Steve Smith, Santonio holmes, Mike Wallace(who some wanted us to spend a first on), Roddy White, James Jones, torrey smith. All under 6'2".

I get that, I just wanted a big kid to take over when Moss is gone next year so we don't have to draft another WR again. Jenkins may be a great pick and I hope he plays great and starts in the slot. I just don't like what we "paid" to get him.

At #30 with the revised rookie wage scale? The football equivalent of 3 volcano burritos and a bottle of Cholula.

not $$$-value of the pick

trading back and getting an additional pick then taking that pick with our original 2nd and moving up higher in the 2nd could net a better player to couple with Jenkins

Baalke said he didn't think Jenkins would be there if they took the Vikings offer. If you want a player, take the player, not the risk.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Stoked
Originally posted by ALLDONE:
We needed a pass rusher and got one in Aldon....we needed a big RZ threat and didnt get one today

+1

We also needed a shifty playmaking WR and got one

I'm sure we were targeting Wright and settled for Jenkins. You can always draft a bigger body in the later rounds
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by ALLDONE:
We needed a pass rusher and got one in Aldon....we needed a big RZ threat and didnt get one today

+1

We also needed a shifty playmaking WR and got one

I'm sure we were targeting Wright and settled for Jenkins. You can always draft a bigger body in the later rounds

The draft isn't over, geez!!!!!!! We still have rounds 2-7 to get a "tall RZ guy." Some people don't have any patience. A guy like Sanu will probably be had in the second or third.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Horrendous value. Many saw him as a guy who would be a reach in the SECOND ROUND, let alone the first. Now, personally I would have been JUST FINE if we traded back and took him, but I would have never touched Jenkins in the first.

Aldon was a fine pick because it was a legitimate top 12 pick kind of player AND filled an immediate need. Jenkins is not a legitimate first rounder, and unlike Aldon was not seen by ANYONE else as a first round talent. I simply did not find ANYTHING in the multiple games of watching Jenkins that led me to believe he was a star in the making.

My impression is he will be nothing more than a potential depth WR with STs ability. Obviously they expect his peak to be astronomically higher, but I am willing to bet they are wrong. I trust our staff, but they can't get every pick right, and I will venture to say this will be one that does not live up to 1st round status.

And I should clarify, when I say "no one", I'm talking about prognosticators, not NFL Teams. I have no idea what their boards were. I do have doubts he was a 1st rounder on many of theirs though, considering he fell to 30 so easily.

What does that mean, "so easily"? How else does a player get to 30? A team can value a player as a 1st rounder, but not value him as a top 10 pick, where they're picking. I know you didn't like the pick, and I respect that, but we really don't know that he was not seen as legitimate top 40 player by teams
  • mike
  • Veteran
not $$$-value of the pick

trading back and getting an additional pick then taking that pick with our original 2nd and moving up higher in the 2nd could net a better player to couple with Jenkins

This is the same problem people had with the aldon pick, trading back means your player doesn't have a first round grade on your draft board therefore you're uncomfortable taking him in the first. If he didn't have a first round grade by the scouts, we wouldn't have taken him.

As we can see there is no guarantee that X player goes in Y position. If X player is your target, why risk not getting the player you want? You're talking about phoning not just one but two different teams to trade down, orchestrating some massive strategy to get a player who could be picked by one of the the very teams you're trading with.(It's not like when you trade teams usually say "I'm taking X player".

Again, this is another example of someone who looks at media rankings too much. Baalke and co. have their own board with its own values independent of every other team out there. If Jenkins tops your list, then it's just stupid to risk not getting your player for an extra 3rd or something.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
People keep mentioning needing someone who can go up and snatch away the ball ala Moss, or in the draft Fleener or Hill etc, but while that's nice, I don't really agree. That essentially means you're counting on the guy to catch the ball when he's not really open. Alex shouldn't be throwing to receivers when they're not open and a receiver like Jenkins seems to fit us nicely precisely because he can get seperation and has great hands.

Yeah he is the kind of guy Alex will actually throw to because he is actually open....
Originally posted by mike:
This is the same problem people had with the aldon pick, trading back means your player doesn't have a first round grade on your draft board therefore you're uncomfortable taking him in the first. If he didn't have a first round grade by the scouts, we wouldn't have taken him.

As we can see there is no guarantee that X player goes in Y position. If X player is your target, why risk not getting the player you want? You're talking about phoning not just one but two different teams to trade down, orchestrating some massive strategy to get a player who could be picked by one of the the very teams you're trading with.(It's not like when you trade teams usually say "I'm taking X player".

Again, this is another example of someone who looks at media rankings too much. Baalke and co. have their own board with its own values independent of every other team out there. If Jenkins tops your list, then it's just stupid to risk not getting your player for an extra 3rd or something.

THIS. With the exception of a very few, the media are idiots.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
The rams probably would've taken Jenkins at 33, they have no weapons for Bradford. I know you don't think he's a red zone threat but he has big hands, long arms, and a 38.5 inch vertical leap. I think he'll do better there than you expect.

I seriously doubt he would've been the pick at 33. We reached.

You sure about that? The rams had been eyeing him previously and hadn't snagged any weapons for Bradford dude: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=783139-rams-worked-out-a.j.-jenkins
Share 49ersWebzone