LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by JD81:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000056943/Jenkins-12-yard-touchdown-catch&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgAIAEoATAAOABAk5-DggVIAVgAYgVlbi1VUw&cd=u1KXoD-X1v8&usg=AFQjCNENyq652ftjAcgfq5eVgIMjalh4VQ

I remember that play. Pure scramble drill and a great ad-lib by Kap and AJ both. Hope to see more of this in the future.

Originally posted by Jcool:
Taylor Price ‏@TaylorPrice49

The hype is real. AJ Jenkins with another amazing catch, this time full body diving over the middle to haul in Kaepernick laser.

I know its just mini-camp but I'm loving what I'm hearing about AJJ. If he can step up as a solid number 2 option for Kap, it will be great for this offense.

Ya that was the play where I knew Jenkins had legit talent but was extremely raw
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Before everyone hops on his dick, I was on his side even when he struggled.

I'd say before anyone gets hopping, the season needs to start first.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Jun 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

I never labeled him a bust and figured it would take a yr or two for him to arrive. However, if he becomes probowl material and proves the naysayers wrong, I still won't hop on his "dick"

I wasn't on his side, but I didn't hate. Some players just take longer to develop. Bet the whole '12 draft class will be much better than we all think.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/06/inside-the-49ers/kaepernick-on-boldin-the-strides-weve-made-have-been-huge/

Straight from Kaep's mouth

Q: You spent a lot of time with Jenkins this offseason. What kind of progression have you seen from him?

KAEPERNICK: Huge. He's leaps and bounds ahead of where he was last year. We've just got to get him on the field now.
I like what im hearing. Still concerned with his size a bit.

Cant wait till the contact starts.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2013/06/inside-the-49ers/kaepernick-on-boldin-the-strides-weve-made-have-been-huge/

Straight from Kaep's mouth

Q: You spent a lot of time with Jenkins this offseason. What kind of progression have you seen from him?

KAEPERNICK: Huge. He's leaps and bounds ahead of where he was last year. We've just got to get him on the field now.

Read this as well! Hope he can step up and fill the shoes of our #2 n quiet the haters..... Not our fans, but everyone else who believe we cant possibly take the west :D
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I like what im hearing. Still concerned with his size a bit.

Cant wait till the contact starts.

This will tell the story. I'm interested to see how he performs in training camp. So far, he hasn't done anything I didn't expect him to do.
He though hard work in the off season seems to have improved his understanding of the play book and his route running which were two of the issues he had last year. We need to remember that there has been limited contact allowed during the OTA's and the minicamp. This still leaves the issue of whether he can fight trough contact to get into his routes. It really isn't an issue about his size, rather his strength that is the problem with AJ. There are many other top receivers in the league who weigh far less than he does that do not have the same issue about getting off the line. Contrary to what some believe some people just have a low ceiling for strength, which if low enough can not always be raised to a satisfactory level. None of the real questions about AJ will be answered until full contact during training camp.
There's word that Kyle Williams is ahead of Jenkins in the depth chart.Any vertification?

WR Kyle Williams likely will be a starting receiver
over WR A.J. Jenkins . ( Matt Maiocco )

SOURCE: NFLTR.
[ Edited by robniner on Jun 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM ]

Originally posted by robniner:
There's word that Kyle Williams is ahead of Jenkins in the depth chart.Any vertification?

I don't doubt that but I don't like it either. I was hoping Jenkins would be our go to slot receiver year 2.
Originally posted by BayArea:

I don't doubt that but I don't like it either. I was hoping Jenkins would be our go to slot receiver year 2.

Williams has shown glimpses of the WR he can be, and i like him alot, but there is no reason why a first round WR in his second season cant beat him out for a starting spot. If Jenkins doesnt end up ahead of williams on the depth chart by the start of the season it will be a huge disapointment. I say 50/50 right now. We shall see how he looks when contact starts.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Williams has shown glimpses of the WR he can be, and i like him alot, but there is no reason why a first round WR in his second season cant beat him out for a starting spot. If Jenkins doesnt end up ahead of williams on the depth chart by the start of the season it will be a huge disapointment. I say 50/50 right now. We shall see how he looks when contact starts.

idaho brings up a good point. On one hand you got kyle and his experience which should mean he has the leg up on the number two spot ,, on the other hand you got jenkins who is a number one draft choice,, now you can quibble on whether or not it was deserved but the fact remains he is a number one draft pick and expectations are him should be very high, on the other hand you got mario who if healthy is probably better than both kyle and jenkins, I have run out of hands but idaho is spot on. we just do not know about jenkins till pre season games start to fly. I just do not want to be having the same discussion about his lack of production at the end of pre season as we had at the end of last year. That would not be good for our team, our front office and for him

well kyle is experienced in the system, oh and he's good.
I agree with the above, I would actually prefer it. I like Jenkins I believe he can be a great WR, but I also believe Williams is much better then the two fumbles he is most remembered for. But I would really like to see Jenkins earn it in gametime play where the pressure is higher, not training camp. Although I do see Williams more as our slot receiver then an x or z receiver. I hope its a neck and neck race out of training camp between Williams and Jenkins, Williams win, and then Jenkins take over the spot permanently by mid season.
Share 49ersWebzone