There are 231 users in the forums

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by mayo49:
He's only been thrown to one time. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

If he knew the playbook and could get open they would be throwing the ball to him.

He gets open like crazy. We saw it in the preseason, and on his 6-10 plays late in the year. He even gets open deep (something no one else is doing). I think he has big eyes out there, and we are too far into it for him to learn on the job right now. I think he will be a big part of the offense next year. With Crab emerging, we could a combo like the Ravens [Crab being the Physical, hands-catching YAC guy (Boldin), and AJJ being the deep threat (Smith)], but we also have a dangerous TE and an effective slot guy or two.

Yeah, I don't think they even look his way even if he gets open.
Originally posted by mayo49:
He's only been thrown to one time. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

If he knew the playbook and could get open they would be throwing the ball to him.

He gets open like crazy. We saw it in the preseason, and on his 6-10 plays late in the year. He even gets open deep (something no one else is doing). I think he has big eyes out there, and we are too far into it for him to learn on the job right now. I think he will be a big part of the offense next year. With Crab emerging, we could a combo like the Ravens [Crab being the Physical, hands-catching YAC guy (Boldin), and AJJ being the deep threat (Smith)], but we also have a dangerous TE and an effective slot guy or two.

LOL He gets open like crazy? Really? You must be watching different games than me. Oh.. what he did in preseason against guys who likely are not even in the league dont count.

No matter how much people want to hope that he turns out the reality is that he was a bad pick. There were simply better WRS taken later in the draft and the Niners passed on quality guys to get him. Now, he might turn out next year to be a contributor and I really hope that is the case. But, to have a first round pick that hasnt caught 1 pass all year is very telling.
Alex and AJ for Megatron
DO IT
LOL He gets open like crazy? Really? You must be watching different games than me. Oh.. what he did in preseason against guys who likely are not even in the league dont count.

No matter how much people want to hope that he turns out the reality is that he was a bad pick. There were simply better WRS taken later in the draft and the Niners passed on quality guys to get him. Now, he might turn out next year to be a contributor and I really hope that is the case. But, to have a first round pick that hasnt caught 1 pass all year is very telling.

Actually, yes, he did get wide open deep in the few deep routes that he ran in the regular season. I actually record the games and re-watch them, so when the Matts (both of them) pointed this out, I went back and checked it out, and they were correct. He is able to throw a move without really slowing down, and he ran right by his coverage. He got open deep, and it happened quickly. He didn't get the ball thrown to him, once possibly because he was left and Kaep scrambled right. Maybe you should make sure you know what you are talking about before you LOL in the face of a fellow fan.

I agree that it is disappointing to get a 1st round pick that doesn't contribute in the 1st year, but I don't think they ever said he was doing anything this year. Clearly, we haven't needed him, as the offense is rolling. The defense has been pretty impressed with him, according to their comments to the beat writers.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Actually, yes, he did get wide open deep in the few deep routes that he ran in the regular season. I actually record the games and re-watch them, so when the Matts (both of them) pointed this out, I went back and checked it out, and they were correct. He is able to throw a move without really slowing down, and he ran right by his coverage. He got open deep, and it happened quickly. He didn't get the ball thrown to him, once possibly because he was left and Kaep scrambled right. Maybe you should make sure you know what you are talking about before you LOL in the face of a fellow fan.

I agree that it is disappointing to get a 1st round pick that doesn't contribute in the 1st year, but I don't think they ever said he was doing anything this year. Clearly, we haven't needed him, as the offense is rolling. The defense has been pretty impressed with him, according to their comments to the beat writers.
after 20 plus weeks of practice and being on the active roster for the last few weeks, you expect more out of a first rounder than a dropped pass and not knowing where to line up, that is tinker toy tech stuff in my opinion
Frustrating that our first round pick might actually have less value than a PS player picked up in the playoffs
CC, I guess they hit a home run wth Kap last yr, and our #1 DNA(did not appear ) this yr. Still we ARE going to SB, and yes we really could have used AJ. Heck we STILL could use him. He HAS to break out, but this business about not being in shape is , well, depressing. I guess he didn't want it that bad, and screwed over our coaches. Let's just hope he realizes this is the bigs next yr and gets his schidt together. This yr for a 1st rd WR, was , well, depressing. And it isn't like we don't desperately need another guy to catch passes. KYle, mannningham....with them gone, it makes the AJ pick that much harder. I hope that kid knows what we all don' tthink of him...and that he comes around.

The facts are the facts. He hasnt done anything, hasnt caught a ball, and the Niners played some guy they just got off the streets ahead of him. So, yes I will LOL when someone makes a statement that he "gets open like crazy" when he cant even see the field. Maybe you should get a reality check on AJ Jenkins.

This thought that the Niners didnt draft him to contribute this year is just laughable. That applies to QBs or injured players. It doesnt apply to first round WRs. When Williams and Mario went down, Jenkins should have been able to come in and contribute but he couldnt. I think that speaks volumes about the coaches confidence in the guy.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Chad Hall >>> AJ Jenkins wow

oh well Baalke I guess you cant have a solid draft every year.
Originally posted by susweel:

At least LMJ will be a good piece, but I agree sus, wow not good . I think this year, we won't have too many holes, it makes sense to trade up and get someone who can actually contribute.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by susweel:

At least LMJ will be a good piece, but I agree sus, wow not good . I think this year, we won't have too many holes, it makes sense to trade up and get someone who can actually contribute.

jenkins will be fine, he just needs to bust his ass in the offseason and learn the play book. we have enough solid people in place to get his act together. i think we still draft another receiver, hopefully a big one with some speed. manningham is coming off a crazy injury, moss is kinda old, ginn is useless. they need another receiver. crabs, moss, williams, jenkins, rook and manningham if he can come back healthy.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
James is going to be an excellent situational back and KR but don't project him out to be an every down feature back he's too small in stature and goes down too easy. Martin is already a stud feature back and Wilson is right there as well. Would rather have had Martin or Wilson with our 1st pick. Then either traded up to get Stephen Hill in the 2nd or waited for Randle who was still on the board with our 2nd.

1st: Martin/Wilson
2nd: Hill/Randle

While hindsight is always 20/20 a ton of 49ers fans and analyst's were calling for this 49ers draft.

Certainly would have been a better draft than Jenkins/James.

you cant say that after only 1 year, you people are so impatient, simmer down
Bust... Will be cut next year when Kyle and manningham back
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
This guy has been in Harbaughs doghouse all year no doubt, he is not working to Harbaugh standards.
Come on guys a little early for this talk of bust. It took 7 years for us to figure out Alex. Let's give the kid time to grow up and let the game slow down for him.
Share 49ersWebzone