There are 212 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

AJ Jenkins is a 49er

Kid better not leave the bay this offseason.
If it makes anyone feel any better, pretend LeMichael James was the first round pick and AJ Jenkins was the second round pick.
So far LMJ is doing well.

Since we don't see him every day like the coaches do - he's a major question mark.

Still have faith in Baalke/JH. BUT many, many teams have 1st round failures so if AJ bombs - we just keep on truckin'
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners9:
I'm going out on a limb and say he catches a TD this Saturday!

I know you wanted him to do well! I don't think he ceven caught the GB Outbreak they brought in SF! Lol
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by THEB:
Originally posted by jta854:
It's concerning that Ginn got in the game before Jenkins.

Its even more concerning that LMJ lined up at WR before Jenkins did last night.

Originally posted by GEEK:
Link

Remember, 1 month after the draft, the 49ers let their Midwest scout go. He was responsible for scouting A.J. Jenkins. Jenkins better show some promise in Year 2.

This is why Gamble is an awesome talent evaluator, he was personally responsible for LMJ - he scouted both UW Chris Polk and LMJ. I have a feeling we tried to get Polk too but he knew he wouldn't make the game day roster let alone the final 53.

At least that area scout got us Jewel Hampton from the looks of it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
another example of why he is a bust and why this was a terrible pick. we still have no good third wideout on the team. jenkins is not the answer . i used to like the jenkins pick and hated the james pick and now that is 100 per cent opposite. i still think roman needs to figure out how to use james more
Originally posted by cciowa:
another example of why he is a bust and why this was a terrible pick. we still have no good third wideout on the team. jenkins is not the answer . i used to like the jenkins pick and hated the james pick and now that is 100 per cent opposite. i still think roman needs to figure out how to use james more

Needs more carries between the tackles.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Ginn and Walker and James all lined up at WR, Jenkins must really suck. It looks like we will need to draft a Wr in one of the early rounds or sign a Vet. Outside of Crabs what do we have. 2 retuning injured players, Moss and Ginn gone during the off season and Jenkins.

With all of our picks, i can easily see us drafting two wr's and bringing in a bunch more UDFA to compete in camp like we did this past offseason.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Ginn and Walker and James all lined up at WR, Jenkins must really suck. It looks like we will need to draft a Wr in one of the early rounds or sign a Vet. Outside of Crabs what do we have. 2 retuning injured players, Moss and Ginn gone during the off season and Jenkins.

With all of our picks, i can easily see us drafting two wr's and bringing in a bunch more UDFA to compete in camp like we did this past offseason.

Agree - I've said in probably 10 threads in the past month.

We essentially only have 1 proven WR under contract for next year, Crabtree.

Manningham - injury prone role player who is due $4M in non-guaranteed money, coming off of a ACL and PCL tear. Probably going to spend the first 6 weeks on the PUP list

Kyle Williams - Coming off a torn ACL, saw tweet from him a week or 2 ago that he is already running or WILL run by the end of January, but he'll probably be used sparingly at the beginning of the season

AJ Jenkins - All I've seen from this kid is that he is a good blocker lol. We have NO IDEA what he is and I will be disappointed if he doesn't play with the 1st team in preseason and show up big time let alone actually produce in the playoffs this year.

Randy Moss - Free Agent - Clearly a huge positive from a leadership and mentorship point of view but he's 35 and might ride off into the sunset should we win and maybe even if we lose. I could see a future that he comes back though.

Ted Ginn - Free Agent - Marginal punt returner this season and lost his kick return duties because Harbaugh can't justify keeping LMJ on the bench during kickoffs any more. He has 3 catches for 5 yards including yesterday - I can not see a future that involves us re-signing Ginn unless he does something huge in the next 1 - 2 games.

Expect us to draft 2 WRs as either BPA or round 3 or later and load up on enough UDFA bodies to field probably a healthy competition of 3 - 5 players to compete.
Originally posted by sfout:

Manningham - injury prone role player who is due $4M in non-guaranteed money, coming off of a ACL and PCL tear. Probably going to spend the first 6 weeks on the PUP list

Kyle Williams - Coming off a torn ACL, saw tweet from him a week or 2 ago that he is already running or WILL run by the end of January, but he'll probably be used sparingly at the beginning of the season

AJ Jenkins - All I've seen from this kid is that he is a good blocker lol. We have NO IDEA what he is and I will be disappointed if he doesn't play with the 1st team in preseason and show up big time let alone actually produce in the playoffs this year.

Randy Moss - Free Agent - Clearly a huge positive from a leadership and mentorship point of view but he's 35 and might ride off into the sunset should we win and maybe even if we lose. I could see a future that he comes back though.

Ted Ginn - Free Agent - Marginal punt returner this season and lost his kick return duties because Harbaugh can't justify keeping LMJ on the bench during kickoffs any more. He has 3 catches for 5 yards including yesterday - I can not see a future that involves us re-signing Ginn unless he does something huge in the next 1 - 2 games.

Expect us to draft 2 WRs as either BPA or round 3 or later and load up on enough UDFA bodies to field probably a healthy competition of 3 - 5 players to compete.

Pretty much. No reason not to draft a couple WRs with all the picks we have.

However, I'm still not too concerned about Jenkins. They basically has him redshirt this year.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Yea. IMO the only WR's that will be back are Crabs, Manningham, KW, and Jenkins.

Moss will retire if we win a superbowl, and if we dont, i could maybe see a scenerio where he comes back to compete.

KW has one more year on his contract. I really like the falshes he showed, but he certainly could be upgraded. Manningham is just too injury prone to put all our eggs in that basket as the #2.

I fully expect a healthy group of rookies to be brought in this offseason.
Originally posted by captveg:
Pretty much. No reason not to draft a couple WRs with all the picks we have.

However, I'm still not too concerned about Jenkins. They basically has him redshirt this year.

Jenkins is extremely concerning no matter which way you cut it.
WR really seems like one of the hardest positions to scout. We see first rounders bust all the time, and every year some later round or undrafted guy breaks onto the scene and looks amazing. To me, the only solution for us is a total scatter gun approach. Draft at least 2, sign some vet and rookie FAs. Be willing to go into the season with 6 or 7 guys on the roster. We can't got another year without establishing at least one more solid option at WR.
Waaaaay too early to judge Jenkins. Most of you (including me) thought Crabtree was a bust. I guess it really was the QB (but that's another thread entirely). Jenkins is a young player and he'll need time to develop. We need a BIG possession receiver to post up again the Hawks. I want big, sure-handed WRs.
breakout game against ATL, book it!

Crabs is going to see double and triple coverage and VD will draw both safeties. Jenkins and Moss will get hit on the short to intermediate routes.