LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Replacing Delanie Walker... Yes or No?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Replacing Delanie Walker... Yes or No?

Originally posted by dj43:
Agree. This offense needs dynamic players to supplement the power game that has already been established. Williams, if he stays healthy could be a dynamic player as he is a good quick guy but small. Crabtree has neither the size nor speed to be a game changer. The other receivers are just "guys," nothing at all special. Hill has the size and the speed to be an impact player. In a draft high on impact players at the top but not particularly notable in mid-rounds, I would not be surprised to see Baalke move up a bit to grab an impact receiver if they have one rated as such in the mid-20s.

OG is a need issue for me although I don't know how the feel about Kilgore's development. If Zeitler or Konz is there at #30 and they draft Fleener or Hill, it should tell us they feel very good about Kilgore. Thursday is coming....

They did trade up to acquire Kilgore. I think the fact that we allowed our starting RG AND our backup RG walk is a very good indication of how we feel about the next guy up.

It only makes sense that the team is very high on Kilgore because if they weren't, then why would they even want Kilgore as a backup and risk starting a rookie who probably wouldn't even be the best Guard in the draft. That would be putting a lot of eggs in questionable baskets.

This leads me to believe Kilgore is ready.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:
Agree. This offense needs dynamic players to supplement the power game that has already been established. Williams, if he stays healthy could be a dynamic player as he is a good quick guy but small. Crabtree has neither the size nor speed to be a game changer. The other receivers are just "guys," nothing at all special. Hill has the size and the speed to be an impact player. In a draft high on impact players at the top but not particularly notable in mid-rounds, I would not be surprised to see Baalke move up a bit to grab an impact receiver if they have one rated as such in the mid-20s.

OG is a need issue for me although I don't know how the feel about Kilgore's development. If Zeitler or Konz is there at #30 and they draft Fleener or Hill, it should tell us they feel very good about Kilgore. Thursday is coming....

They did trade up to acquire Kilgore. I think the fact that we allowed our starting RG AND our backup RG walk is a very good indication of how we feel about the next guy up.

It only makes sense that the team is very high on Kilgore because if they weren't, then why would they even want Kilgore as a backup and risk starting a rookie who probably wouldn't even be the best Guard in the draft. That would be putting a lot of eggs in questionable baskets.

I agree on your RG assessment. It is just a concern to recall how often the middle of the line was pushed back in pass protection last season. If not Snyder, it was Goodwin, and sometimes both of them that could not hold their ground against the better DTs.
I've passed on this thread until now but I'll weigh in here. I haven't taken the time to read all the way through so excuse me if what I will say have been extensively covered.

Walker is a nice player but does not influence the game to any degree. Though his blocking has improved, he is not as good as Nate Byham and will cost more to re-sign. Though a former WR, he is not a threat as a receiver unless he gets into a matchup advantage. He does not have the skill set to beat defenders one-on-one in equal matchups. Part of the problem with our 3rd down offense is our offense on 1st and 2nd downs - we don't have offensive players that can beat defenders one-on-one other than Frank Gore and he is negated much of the time because of that. If the offense is to improve on 3rd down, it must become more dynamic, and diversified, on 1st and 2nd, and that means an "average" offensive player like Walker is not helping.

Consequently, to the extent Walker is taking a roster spot that could be used for a more dynamic offensive player, we should consider replacing him. (A trade would be nice but better than a 6th round pick is not likely.)

I'm a Fleener fan for one key reason: Due to major rule changes to protect defenseless receivers, the passing game is played more up in the air now than it was 5 or more years ago. No longer must pass receivers worry about getting their rib cage smashed in every time they extend their hands above their heads. As a result, tall TEs like Gronkowski and Graham are dominant players in their team's offense because their are tall and have excellent hands to snag the ball above the heads of defenders. Walker is not tall enough to take advantage of the rule changes in the passing game, hence his roster spot should be vulnerable.

I haven't seen enough of TEs other than Fleener to judge what may happen if he is gone at #30 but I would be a little surprised to see the 49ers pass on him if he is there.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2011/10/30/49ers-delanie-walker-always-in-position-to-help/

I agree on your RG assessment. It is just a concern to recall how often the middle of the line was pushed back in pass protection last season. If not Snyder, it was Goodwin, and sometimes both of them that could not hold their ground against the better DTs.

I don't think our OL is as bad as most think. All lines get pushed back but that still gives the QB time...maybe not to throw 15 yards straight ahead but enough time to know the middle is collapsing and finding the secondary or third options.

Who cares: Fleener, Hill or a Defensive player would be the most impactful to the offense.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Again, someone who doesn't understand.

First off.... FUMBLES? In 83 games played, he had 3 fumbles (NFL.com). 3 FUMBLES. Check your stats.
Second, he's a #2 TE, not a #1. His job isn't to get open deep, he's usually read 3 or 4 at a 5 yd dump off, but you knew that right?
Third, if the coaches used him a a receiver instead of a blocker, he would have better numbers, his catch rate would increase, and nobody would be talking about replacing him.

Zach Miller SEA TE 25 233 9.3 15.5 28 0 2 0 10 40.0 0 38
Todd Heap ARI TE 24 283 11.8 28.3 28 1 5 0 9 37.5 0 38
Leonard Pope KC TE 24 247 10.3 15.4 39 1 3 0 12 50.0 0 40
Daniel Fells DEN TE 19 256 13.5 16.0 32 3 4 0 13 68.4 2 40
Jacob Tamme IND TE 19 177 9.3 11.1 29 1 2 0 10 52.6 0 40
Delanie Walker SF TE 19 198 10.4 13.2 29T 3 2 0 9 47.4 0 43
James Casey HOU TE 18 260 14.4 18.6 62 1 4 1 11 61.1 0 43
Kellen Davis CHI TE 18 206 11.4 12.9 32T 5 3 0 13 72.2 0

He's a #2. His stats reflect exactly where he is. You can argue all you want. He's a #2. He's a #2. He's a #2.

Next time do some research before you try to come off so condescending. kthanksbuhbye

His job is to win his matchups and get open whenever he is out on a route. And before YOU come off all condescending, you should make sure that he is really running a bunch of 3-5 yard dumpoff routes, because that is not what I have seen. I see him run seams, slow posts, flags, corners, wheels, deep crosses, slants, and deep curls, in addition to drags (which are short routes that are designed to get the receiver open for YAC) and the OCCASIONAL dumpoff. You don't see him catch many of those routes because he is usually contained very capably by one safety. The majority of his plays are made in single coverage against a LB.

If you read my comment on his fumbles earlier in the thread (or if you had been on the forum for a bit), you would know that most fans aren't directly pissed about the # of fumbles he has had, but that his lost fumbles have come at back-breaking moments in tight games, ie: he literealy fumbles games away. The anti-clutch, as it were. I was as pumped as anyone else when he caught the game-winner in DET, but dude was WAY overdue. I'm also not seeing the more successful #2 TEs in your list. Have you heard of Hernandez, NE? he plays an HB-type of TE like Walker, and he had over 900 yards. Shockey and Pitta more than doubled his numbers. Sheffler, Dressen, and Moore surpassed him by over 50%. You also left out Randy McMichael, whose yardage was a statistically significant 37% better than Walker's. You can crunch (and manipulate) stats all you want to (while ignoring unfavorable stats, like his awful 54% catch rate), I watch the guy play, and I like his attitude, but if he can be upgraded for cheap, we need to do it.

You should probably do some legit research before you throw around obviously doctored results. Here on the Zone, we we don't blindly believe whatever numbers you choose to throw on a page. There are 6 #2 TEs listed here whose numbers are significantly (at least 50%) better tham Walker's, if you REALLY want to go the stats route. Factor in how often we are in a 2 TE set, versus the rest of the league (excluding NE and, possibly, CAR) and that is a position that is ripe for improvement. #2 TE is more important on this team than most.

Those stats are the exact order of TE rankings, Walker is ranked #40. 32 teams, #1s are going to be higher. For a #2, that's pretty good. Maybe you should look at them before you accuse me of doctoring them.

Delanie wasn't even utilized as a pass catcher, how can he have comparable numbers to Hernandez? Your argument makes no sense at all.

We are in a 2 TE set for BLOCKING. How do I make that any clearer? You want to be the Patriots, move to Boston. With a legit OL, that may change, hopefully this year. Delanie can have monster games if utilized as a receiver.

Also, you realize a drag is a 5-7 yd route, right?

Here's some more "doctored" stats from yahoo sports:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7924/career;_ylt=AtM9I9iiVu4ENfJlTCF2VRP.uLYF
SeasonTeamG RecYdsY/GAvgLngYAC1stDTD RushYdsY/GAvgTD FumFumL
2006-07 San Francisco7 2304.315.02915.510 000.0N/A0 00
2007-08 San Francisco16 2117410.98.3265.581 000.0N/A0 00
2008-09 San Francisco15 1015510.315.55311.371 2-13-0.9-6.50 10
2009-10 San Francisco16 2123314.611.1397.9100 3342.111.30 11
2010-11 San Francisco14 2933123.611.4386.0130 3181.36.00 11
2011-12 San Francisco15 1919813.210.4293.693 350.31.70 00
Career83 102112113.511.0536.5485 11440.54.00 32

What that says is, his avg yardage is 11 yds per reception, with an avg of 6.5 YAC.

Sounds alot like he's catching 5-7 yard routes and running for a few more yards, doesn't it?

Thanks, have a nice day.
[ Edited by mkmasn on Apr 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM ]
Those stats are the exact order of TE rankings, Walker is ranked #40. 32 teams, #1s are going to be higher. For a #2, that's pretty good. Maybe you should look at them before you accuse me of doctoring them.

Delanie wasn't even utilized as a pass catcher, how can he have comparable numbers to Hernandez? Your argument makes no sense at all.

We are in a 2 TE set for BLOCKING. How do I make that any clearer? You want to be the Patriots, move to Boston. With a legit OL, that may change, hopefully this year. Delanie can have monster games if utilized as a receiver.

Do you really think we were in 2 TE sets primarily for Blocking?

Ummm... let's see, our OL gives up ridiculous amounts of sacks, we drafted a BLOCKING TE who got hurt... Yea, it seems to me we needed a blocker.

Would we rather use the second TE as a receiver, yes, but we couldn't. The FACT that Walker was only utilized as a receiver half as much as our other TE PROVES my point.

There's no ifs ands or buts about it.

Ummm... let's see, our OL gives up ridiculous amounts of sacks, we drafted a BLOCKING TE who got hurt... Yea, it seems to me we needed a blocker.

Would we rather use the second TE as a receiver, yes, but we couldn't. The FACT that Walker was only utilized as a receiver half as much as our other TE PROVES my point.

There's no ifs ands or buts about it.

So, Delanie Walker was our weakest blocking TE prior to 2011 season. If blocking is his primary role...then he can EASILY be replaced by a TE who can block better, yet still produce Walker's receiving numbers.
So, Delanie Walker was our weakest blocking TE prior to 2011 season. If blocking is his primary role...then he can EASILY be replaced by a TE who can block better, yet still produce Walker's receiving numbers.

2006 Davis, Walker, Bajema, Jennings
2007 Davis, Walker, Bajema, Jennings
2008 Davis, Bajema, Jennings, Walker
2009 Davis, Walker, Brian Jennings
2010 Davis, Walker, Nate Byham. Injured.

Wooo... yea, worst blocker we've had. Where'd they go? Hell, Bajema was only 3 years into his career when we picked up Walker.... I wonder why?
[ Edited by mkmasn on Apr 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM ]

Wooo... yea, worst blocker we've had. Where'd they go? Hell, Bajema was only 3 years into his career when we picked up Walker.... I wonder why?

Dude, you are being ridiculous. There are several #2 TEs in the league with better production than #1s in this league, which I guess is your excuse for failing to post vastly superior #s from many TEs around the league. Your assertion that you know why the 49ers put their team in certain personnel groups is comical, considering that they have stated and demonstrated to the contrary with great frequency. The 49ers have stated through the years (specifically, during this regime and before it) that they like using 2 TE sets because it makes them more dangerous as both a running and passing team, since they get the luxury of passing against run-stopping personnel. Walker was a WR in college and was a terrible blocker while he was learning his craft (about 2-3 seasons). The Matts reported it several times (often saying that his blocking was what kept him off the field) during those years. Another falacy that comes from interpreting stats instead of watching the games is that you discount plays like the wheel route he caught this year, where he beat single LB coverage on the sideline because VD pulled the secondary to the seam, Alex found him deep, and he ran the rest of the way untouched down the sideline for the score. It totally padded his YAC and YPC stats because he only had 18 other receptions on the year ( a year in which he only averaged 3.5 yards after the catch). They let go of Bajema because they knew they could draft a cheaper blocking TE (they drafted and cut Pascoe, then drafted and kept Byham). You don't pay veteran salaries for a skill set you can pay rookie scale for.

Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Dude, you are being ridiculous. There are several #2 TEs in the league with better production than #1s in this league, which I guess is your excuse for failing to post vastly superior #s from many TEs around the league. Your assertion that you know why the 49ers put their team in certain personnel groups is comical, considering that they have stated and demonstrated to the contrary with great frequency. The 49ers have stated through the years (specifically, during this regime and before it) that they like using 2 TE sets because it makes them more dangerous as both a running and passing team, since they get the luxury of passing against run-stopping personnel. Walker was a WR in college and was a terrible blocker while he was learning his craft (about 2-3 seasons). The Matts reported it several times (often saying that his blocking was what kept him off the field) during those years. Another falacy that comes from interpreting stats instead of watching the games is that you discount plays like the wheel route he caught this year, where he beat single LB coverage on the sideline because VD pulled the secondary to the seam, Alex found him deep, and he ran the rest of the way untouched down the sideline for the score. It totally padded his YAC and YPC stats because he only had 18 other receptions on the year ( a year in which he only averaged 3.5 yards after the catch). They let go of Bajema because they knew they could draft a cheaper blocking TE (they drafted and cut Pascoe, then drafted and kept Byham). You don't pay veteran salaries for a skill set you can pay rookie scale for.

I watched or listened to every single game the past 10 years (tough to find an internet video stream with horrible net speeds in Afghanistan) and I seem to recall more plays where Walker was open underneath and ran for the extra yardage. And the stats back it up. That what stats are for...

Yea i agree, it's so comical to think a personnel grouping with blockers in it is going to end up running a play where we need blocking. Oops... sorry, forgot about the few jumbo play actions plays to the big guys (wait, that's it, only a few?)...

How has this regime demonstrated anything other than what I have shown you they've DONE. Considering this was the only season this regime has been here, they can only demonstrate what their intentions were during that season. Since we know, FOR A FACT, Walker was utilized more in a blocking role than a receiving role, it seems what you would consider their intentions is far different than what their intentions were. They can tell the media their intentions are one thing and then your blocking TE gets hurt and, "oh no! we need you to block, Delanie." When Singletary was in charge, old man Raye would put us in 3rd and forever, forcing us to go deep, which is why you see Delanie have a few more longer receptions.

Haven't we already determined he's not being paid much? So we're better off drafting Fleener and pay him more money? I think we have more pressing needs at pick #30... OL, DL, WR, maybe another LB, CB, or S? I'd put my money on OL at 30.

And no, we're not discounting any big plays, those numbers are for his CAREER. But, just to show you how wrong you are, THIS year, 19 catches at an avg of 10.4 yds ~ 198 yds... which is what he had. 2 plays were for 20+ yds, longest was 29 yds. we're not discounting anything there...his next longest was 19 yds, then 10. So, out of 19 catches, only 3 of them were deep. The rest were where? 5-7 yds with a few YAC. Hrm... Odd.

A wheel route... You understand what that is, right? You start off running towards the flat just around the line of scrimmage, then turn upfield when you get outside the hash (or midway between the hash and sideline in the NFL). Depending on the primary read, you may get the ball at the LOS, and get some YAC, or, in the case you spoke about, the primary read (VD, in this case) is covered, as you progress through the reads, more time elapses and the wheel route gets pushed further down field. So, a designed 5-10 yard gain from a wheel route can very well be a 29 yd TD. In a trips bunch formation it is designed to be a little quicker because the route runner is already near the flat. It ends up being a misdirection, ISO, even a screen of sorts, depending on the offensive philosophy.

As I've said already (might be in another thread), with no legit #1, it is EASY to cover our threats. Every single play they can double cover someone AND keep a safety over the top AND keep the box stacked (no need to play the LBs deep to cover TEs with a S over the top), which is most likely why you remember him not being able to break free from a safety deep. The linebacker covers him until 10 yds, then he's got the safety to take over... simple zone coverage... Even in man there's still a safety over the top with crabs or VD doubled.

If you want to see the stats for ALL tightends, go look at them, I told you exactly where I pulled the stats from. Otherwise, be happy with the group of 6 or 7 in exact order to show that our #2 TE is in good company, and has similar stats. The only excuse for spouting off arguments without checking is laziness.

This year with a legit #1 and hopefully Byham back, both Walker and Smith are going to silence all you haters. Bank it.
[ Edited by mkmasn on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM ]

I don't think our OL is as bad as most think. All lines get pushed back but that still gives the QB time...maybe not to throw 15 yards straight ahead but enough time to know the middle is collapsing and finding the secondary or third options.

Who cares: Fleener, Hill or a Defensive player would be the most impactful to the offense.

I don't know... Goodwin was pretty bad. There were quite a few plays Smith didn't even get to the end of his drop without a rusher straight up the gut. I think the recent CSN mock have us picking a C at 30.
[ Edited by mkmasn on Apr 23, 2012 at 5:18 PM ]
I don't know... Goodwin was pretty bad. There were quite a few plays Smith didn't even get to the end of his drop without a rusher straight up the gut. I think the recent CSN mock have us picking a C at 30.

i dont want amini at 30 but glenn, zeither,, konz, trading up for decastro all good choises in 1st round
I watched or listened to every single game the past 10 years (tough to find an internet video stream with horrible net speeds in Afghanistan) and I seem to recall more plays where Walker was open underneath and ran for the extra yardage. And the stats back it up. That what stats are for...

Yea i agree, it's so comical to think a personnel grouping with blockers in it is going to end up running a play where we need blocking. Oops... sorry, forgot about the few jumbo play actions plays to the big guys (wait, that's it, only a few?)...

How has this regime demonstrated anything other than what I have shown you they've DONE. Considering this was the only season this regime has been here, they can only demonstrate what their intentions were during that season. Since we know, FOR A FACT, Walker was utilized more in a blocking role than a receiving role, it seems what you would consider their intentions is far different than what their intentions were. They can tell the media their intentions are one thing and then your blocking TE gets hurt and, "oh no! we need you to block, Delanie." When Singletary was in charge, old man Raye would put us in 3rd and forever, forcing us to go deep, which is why you see Delanie have a few more longer receptions.

Haven't we already determined he's not being paid much? So we're better off drafting Fleener and pay him more money? I think we have more pressing needs at pick #30... OL, DL, WR, maybe another LB, CB, or S? I'd put my money on OL at 30.

And no, we're not discounting any big plays, those numbers are for his CAREER. But, just to show you how wrong you are, THIS year, 19 catches at an avg of 10.4 yds ~ 198 yds... which is what he had. 2 plays were for 20+ yds, longest was 29 yds. we're not discounting anything there...his next longest was 19 yds, then 10. So, out of 19 catches, only 3 of them were deep. The rest were where? 5-7 yds with a few YAC. Hrm... Odd.

A wheel route... You understand what that is, right? You start off running towards the flat just around the line of scrimmage, then turn upfield when you get outside the hash (or midway between the hash and sideline in the NFL). Depending on the primary read, you may get the ball at the LOS, and get some YAC, or, in the case you spoke about, the primary read (VD, in this case) is covered, as you progress through the reads, more time elapses and the wheel route gets pushed further down field. So, a designed 5-10 yard gain from a wheel route can very well be a 29 yd TD. In a trips bunch formation it is designed to be a little quicker because the route runner is already near the flat. It ends up being a misdirection, ISO, even a screen of sorts, depending on the offensive philosophy.

As I've said already (might be in another thread), with no legit #1, it is EASY to cover our threats. Every single play they can double cover someone AND keep a safety over the top AND keep the box stacked (no need to play the LBs deep to cover TEs with a S over the top), which is most likely why you remember him not being able to break free from a safety deep. The linebacker covers him until 10 yds, then he's got the safety to take over... simple zone coverage... Even in man there's still a safety over the top with crabs or VD doubled.

If you want to see the stats for ALL tightends, go look at them, I told you exactly where I pulled the stats from. Otherwise, be happy with the group of 6 or 7 in exact order to show that our #2 TE is in good company, and has similar stats. The only excuse for spouting off arguments without checking is laziness.

This year with a legit #1 and hopefully Byham back, both Walker and Smith are going to silence all you haters. Bank it.

It seriously seems like you are more interested in trying to be right than making an argument that has any secure ties to reality.

1) Analyzing Walker's stats for the year does NOT support your claim that he gets consistent YAC from short passes. He got 3.6 YAC in his only season under this staff, and a lot of that came on one longer throw, not a dumpoff that he turned into paydirt.

2) The coaches have stated that they like to pass out of 2 TE sets because they have a chance to catch the defense in unfavorable matchups. They have passed out of this formation on all three downs, and have down so with relative success and frequency, as compared to other formations and personnel groups.

3) Walker is not being paid much NOW. The Matts have written that Walker has stated that he wants a #1 TE role, and a #1 TE salary, and he is a FA after this year. Walker will get considerably more money next year than he will this year, and IMO he doesn't do enough on this team to deserve it. Fleener (or any other TE drafted) would not make much money as a late 1st round pick or later on the rookie pay scale.

4) In discussing this season's stats, you again conveniently gloss over his 3.6 YAC for the year, which was inflated by his longer plays. That means that the majority of his catches were short -intermediate routes where he went down right about where he caught the ball. The reason he catches so many of these routes, by comparison, is because shorter routes are covered more frequently by LBs, and he struggles to separate from safeties. His receivng stats do not take into account the intermediate-to-deep routes he ran and never got open, because he was blanket covered by one safety.

5) You must be new to football. A Wheel route is NEVER designed to get 5 yards. That's a joke. A diagonal path to the sideline is an arrow, and it can be hooked up or wheeled up on longer route packages. The wheel is always an intermediate to long route, and is run MANY time more than it is thrown, or is set up as a big hit by running MANY arrows in the first half of the game to breed complacency in the coverage scheme. It is, in every scheme, a shot play. The one we were discussing is not misdirection at all. It was a route pacjage run to the same side that forced the safety to choose to support either the seam route (VD) or the wheel (Walker). The corner was occupied in coverage by the WR. The idea of QBs reading one route at a time is outdated, by at least a decade. Alex would likely be reading the seam and the wheel together (since they are both leveraged by the same over-the-top coverage) by reading and reacting to the coverage before zeroing in on the individual matchup. Route packages like that are generally designed for him to know who is throwing to before the reciever wins. Generally speaking, all route packages are designed to target a specific defensive position on the field and force them to choose wrong.

6) GB and NE have proven that they can take a diversely talented group and scheme many openings. They get huge yards without an archetypical #1, and they have done so with their superstar QBs on the shelf. Moss never once ran a complete route tree, and he rarely wins in the middle or inside the numbers in the short/intermediate range. Greg Jennings does what he is asked to do very well, but he is rarely expected to beat double coverage. True #1s like the Johnsons and Fitz need to do that all of the time. NE and GB succeed because they throw to whomever is in single coverage, as all of the players they put out into a route are expected to win when left singled up. Even zone schemes require defenders to rotate and man up on the receiver running through their zone. All deep routes eventually turn into single or double man coverage.

7) I already DID look at the complete stats, and I pointed out all of the #2 TEs that you failed to include in your list (there were 7)

8) I never mentioned Alex in this thread, and I never said I hated Delanie. I said that he is overrated on this board, and I said that the offense would benefit by better play from the #2 TE position, especially if that improved play comes from a player that actually threatens the defense.

Sooooooooo, this has been fun and all...
I imagine you will want to get the last word in, so have at it.

I normally don't mind differences of opinion on here, and I generally enjoy the discussion, but I have no idea where your arguments are coming from, and this isn't a lot of fun. Sorry if Walker is your boy, your man, or your son. I mean no disrespect to him, but it seems plainly obvious to me that the offense would be much more deadly with more production from that spot, as Harbaugh's offense has always leaned heavily on ALL TEs on the field.

Do what you do man
GO NINERS!

Olines are tricky groups. They need to have a real feel for each other in order to play effectively. The number of times when Goodwin looked left to help Iupati at the same time Snyder or Rachal looked right to help Davis, only to leave a hole for a blitzer, was just too common. The players are not as bad as the play because much of the trouble was lack of experience with each other...death for a line.

Think about having two second year players, a new center, and a problem at RG. That left Staley as the only solid, stable position at LT. They should be greatly improved this year, if only because they will have full camps, mini and TC. But even if they like Kilgore at RG, who I also like very much, they still need depth at C and RG. Person may be the guy but that will be a lot of youth on the line...and that usually means a lack of consistency.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 23, 2012 at 7:01 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone