LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

Will Crabtree ever be this good?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think he's too lazy to flourish like he did in college.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
He's battled foot injuries since he's been here. Also, not sure if he's able to workout like he'd like with that condition.

Yeah I hear trainingcampitis is pretty painful and takes about 3 years to recover from.
Crabtree is going to be hard-pressed to look better than A.J. Jenkins this year. That along with Moss and Manningham should make it a pretty intense competition.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

great post

I understand people complaining that MC hasn't worked enough at the team training facility to build chemistry with his team mates but I have never read an article saying he is not in good shape. Haven't seen his hands on his hips, leaning over barfing after running sprints, dropping weights on his spotter's toes, or any other irrefutable signs of being out of shape.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Best WR Hands:
#1. Chris Carter, #2. Larry Fitzgerald, #3. John Jefferson, #4. Biletnikoff, Steve Largent, Lynn Swann, Brandon Lloyd, Reggie Wayne, Raymond Berry?,

Edit: added Freddy (stick-em) Biletnikoff

Jerry Rice, Tom Waddle.
Originally posted by endcapitalism:
Best WR Hands:
#1. Chris Carter, #2. Larry Fitzgerald, #3. John Jefferson, #4. Biletnikoff, Steve Largent, Lynn Swann, Brandon Lloyd, Reggie Wayne, Raymond Berry?,

Jerry Rice, Tom Waddle.

Not sure if I'm getting to technical, but I think there are different ways to look at "best hands."

* Clutch catching
* Concistency
* Difficulty

A guy like BLolyd makes the most difficult catches I've ever seen, but also would drop some of the easiest. Crabtree is a very good pass catcher. He attacks the ball and makes difficult catches. However, he was completly un-clutch in the playoffs. I hope his un-clutchness can be fixed. It sounds like he has confidence issues. Just because he says he's great doesn't mean he believes it.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Harbaugh also said numerous times last year that he had just seen the greatest defensive performance of all time. I have actually been disapointed with Crabtree's hands.

He said that once after the eagles game and that was one heck of a defensive performance. Harbaugh is watching Crabtree catch passes one after another in practice. I am pretty sure his basis for that statement was not Crabtrees regular season performance thus far
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I understand people complaining that MC hasn't worked enough at the team training facility to build chemistry with his team mates but I have never read an article saying he is not in good shape. Haven't seen his hands on his hips, leaning over barfing after running sprints, dropping weights on his spotter's toes, or any other irrefutable signs of being out of shape.

cant do any of that when you are "injured"
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by endcapitalism:
Best WR Hands:

Jerry Rice, Tom Waddle.

Not sure if I'm getting to technical, but I think there are different ways to look at "best hands."

* Clutch catching
* Concistency
* Difficulty

A guy like BLolyd makes the most difficult catches I've ever seen, but also would drop some of the easiest. Crabtree is a very good pass catcher. He attacks the ball and makes difficult catches. However, he was completly un-clutch in the playoffs. I hope his un-clutchness can be fixed. It sounds like he has confidence issues. Just because he says he's great doesn't mean he believes it.

Agree completely....a good way of breaking it down.

Crabs is our best receiver and he's gonna have a killer year. Can't wait to quote some of these ridiculous responses lol

I Cant Believe most of you. He's finally 100% healthy and practicing daily at the facility but that's still not good enough for some?
Originally posted by jreff22:
cant do any of that when you are "injured"

What does being insured have to do with it?
Originally posted by kush:
Crabs is our best receiver and he's gonna have a killer year. Can't wait to quote some of these ridiculous responses lol

I Cant Believe most of you. He's finally 100% healthy and practicing daily at the facility but that's still not good enough for some?

i think its more of the fact that it took him 4 years to finally particiapate in offseason
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

i think its more of the fact that it took him 4 years to finally particiapate in offseason

Rookie Year: obviously I agree this was his bad, it was on him for not being here

2nd Year: Crabs lands on his neck going up for an Alex Smith pass and is then held out, it was not his choice to not participate

3rd Year: Crabtree broke his foot either at his 1st day of camp Alex or before then. Still is a class act, plays injured and is our leading receiver

4th Year: Finally healthy and he's been at 100% participation

Am I missing something? Are injuries not a good reason to miss practice, preseason time?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Rookie Year: obviously I agree this was his bad, it was on him for not being here

2nd Year: Crabs lands on his neck going up for an Alex Smith pass and is then held out, it was not his choice to not participate

3rd Year: Crabtree broke his foot either at his 1st day of camp Alex or before then. Still is a class act, plays injured and is our leading receiver

4th Year: Finally healthy and he's been at 100% participation

Am I missing something? Are injuries not a good reason to miss practice, preseason time?

This is the problem....he was the best guy last year on a s**t squad of nobody's. Alex had 0 decent alternatives at WR so Crabs was able to get a lot of balls. This year we are in a much better place and some talent (Moss) is a better player. I do not see Crabs catching the same amount of balls this year becuase Alex has other options that are good.

He doesnt have the speed to go the distance like Moss or the moves like James/Jenkins to out wiggle guys. I still think he gets around 60+ balls this year but I dont see him getting over 800 yards. If this proves accurate what it shows is that when we have a full roster he cant get over 1K and when we have a weak roster and he gets a lot of balls he still cant get over 1K. Again if true he isnt living up to the hype, contract, draft number and he could be replaced.
Share 49ersWebzone