There are 177 users in the forums

Will Crabtree ever be this good?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
And Alex is well known for throwing into tight windows. [sarcasm meter must be on in order to properly comprehend this message]

Let's just say they both have something to prove.

he did it a lot to vernon during the playoffs

And Crabtree did a lot during the season. Can't deny the production he got from only being thrown to 80 times which is far less then most of the top 10 WR's in the NFL.

And he didn't do it a lot to Vernon. Most, if not all, were over the top type passes, not tight windows.

Sounds like a whole bunch of nothing that you can't prove.

Neither can throwing tight throws a lot. Oh well, who cares.

On a better note, I really hope Moss being around Vernon and Crabtree really helps them understand how to play the position better. Moss is a very football smart and I hope they pick this guys brain.
he'll be/is very good. but will still fall short of expectations imho.
Crabs can be as good as Boldin. The similarities are definitely there in terms of style of play. Health has been the main issue.

This!
Originally posted by teylo31:
how long did it take for vernon davis to become dominant

Do you think that was simply a matter of tme or Davis getting his head on straight? No
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
And Alex is well known for throwing into tight windows. [sarcasm meter must be on in order to properly comprehend this message]

Let's just say they both have something to prove.

he did it a lot to vernon during the playoffs

And Crabtree did a lot during the season. Can't deny the production he got from only being thrown to 80 times which is far less then most of the top 10 WR's in the NFL.

And he didn't do it a lot to Vernon. Most, if not all, were over the top type passes, not tight windows.

Sounds like a whole bunch of nothing that you can't prove.

Have we all forgotten that Alex won multiple games with tight window passes. The game winners over NO and DET come to mind. Those game winning passes were elite level passes in tight windows. The "tight window" passes don't come as fequently with Crabs as everyone knows that the timing seems to always be a little off between Alex and Crabs. Both need to work together more before the season plain and simple.
Walker, this minor problem, a lack of communication between alex and crbtre, could easily be fixed if crbs were to show interest in extra workouts with alex, but as we all are aware, he doesn't do that. Alex has shown that he will throw to anyone that wants more practice, but crbs hasn't seen fit to do that yet. My guess is this yr he either becomes a go to guy or he is elsewhere next yr. I still think we will end up with 2-3 WRs i have never heard of coming in late draft rds, or UDFA WRs that end up not only making the team but 2 may very well start. Craps has had his opportunity to get linked up with alex. Many, i hope he takes it this yr, because i feel a gaggle of WRs showing up and 3 making the team...well, 2 anyway, and I don't expect to know most of them.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Walker, this minor problem, a lack of communication between alex and crbtre, could easily be fixed if crbs were to show interest in extra workouts with alex, but as we all are aware, he doesn't do that. Alex has shown that he will throw to anyone that wants more practice, but crbs hasn't seen fit to do that yet. My guess is this yr he either becomes a go to guy or he is elsewhere next yr. I still think we will end up with 2-3 WRs i have never heard of coming in late draft rds, or UDFA WRs that end up not only making the team but 2 may very well start. Craps has had his opportunity to get linked up with alex. Many, i hope he takes it this yr, because i feel a gaggle of WRs showing up and 3 making the team...well, 2 anyway, and I don't expect to know most of them.

Agree, I just get the feeling Crabs would rather be someplace else (Dallas). I do think though that finally having some competition at his position will help. I'm sure the prospect of being a #3 slot guy behind Moss and Manningham/Rookie wouldn't sit well with Crabs and would drive him to work harder.
Crabs can be as good as Boldin. The similarities are definitely there in terms of style of play. Health has been the main issue.

Care to elaborate on the comparision? And I'd be curious to know who Crabtree's Fitzgerald would be? VD? Boldin was the second WR option most of his career while Crabtree had...Morgan?

This is not a disagreement with you about Crabtree, rather a question of the comparison. 9 seasons with at least five QBs and he is a top receiver in the league. MC has a ways to go before I'm comfortable comparing him to the top guys in the league.
Originally posted by susweel:
Nope

He is a lazy player with poor work ethics and also very slow to be a premier WR.

Did he attend the voluntarily?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Care to elaborate on the comparision? And I'd be curious to know who Crabtree's Fitzgerald would be? VD? Boldin was the second WR option most of his career while Crabtree had...Morgan?

This is not a disagreement with you about Crabtree, rather a question of the comparison. 9 seasons with at least five QBs and he is a top receiver in the league. MC has a ways to go before I'm comfortable comparing him to the top guys in the league.

I don't think Boldin was the 2nd WR option. Between he and Fitz, Boldin played in one more game, had, 14 more receptions but 400 less yards. This doesn't take into account quite a number of games Boldin missed due to some sort of injury which would take a few more games to come back into top level again.

The reason why I think Crabtree can be as good as Boldin is that they are very similar type of receivers. They are not known for being fast but they can do a lot of good things after the catch, they fight for the ball in close space, have enough speed to for occasional deep balls.

They both averaged the exact same number of yards per catch through their first 3 years.

Boldin had Kurt Warner (most likely a HOFer) from his second year in 2005 through his 6th year in 2009.

Now take into account Crabtree has yet to go through a full offseason and start a season without having to use the first 2 or 3 games to get into game shape and into sync with the offense.

They were doing a 2009 draft analysis on Sirius XM NFL Opening Drive this morning and Ross Tucker & Bob Papa agreed that Crabtree wasn't produced his value.

Papa was a definite no, while Tucker was a "jury still out there, but right now, no".
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
They were doing a 2009 draft analysis on Sirius XM NFL Opening Drive this morning and Ross Tucker & Bob Papa agreed that Crabtree wasn't produced his value.

Papa was a definite no, while Tucker was a "jury still out there, but right now, no".

Gore, Iupati, Vernon, and Miller are probably the only players you can say have produced their value on offense. So getting nearly 900 yards on a team that didn't often is good value? Wonder what they are basing their opinion on?
I don't think Boldin was the 2nd WR option. Between he and Fitz, Boldin played in one more game, had, 14 more receptions but 400 less yards. This doesn't take into account quite a number of games Boldin missed due to some sort of injury which would take a few more games to come back into top level again.

The reason why I think Crabtree can be as good as Boldin is that they are very similar type of receivers. They are not known for being fast but they can do a lot of good things after the catch, they fight for the ball in close space, have enough speed to for occasional deep balls.

They both averaged the exact same number of yards per catch through their first 3 years.

Boldin had Kurt Warner (most likely a HOFer) from his second year in 2005 through his 6th year in 2009.

Now take into account Crabtree has yet to go through a full offseason and start a season without having to use the first 2 or 3 games to get into game shape and into sync with the offense.

Thanks for the reply. I don't like assigning numbers to receivers, 1 and 2, because it implies quality where that may not be logical or accurate. I see Bolden as having an advantge over Crabtree in offensive quality and the existance of another receiver who made the Ds play more honest coverage...and health, although Bolden did not play all games every year.

It will be very interesting to see if Crabtree can come in healthy, develop a rapport with Smith and become the possession receiver I thought he would be.
I think the foot injuries are pretty serious and hampering his game. He's probably the most dominant college WR I've ever seen. The deep ball isn't his strength, yet Raye wasted his talent and continually sent him deep. Roman will use him correctly. I expect him to keep getting better, especially not that Vernon picked up his game and we added some talent to play opposite him.

As long as he's healthy this season, I think he'll have a breakout year.
"Michael Crabtree‏@KingCrab15 football camp all ages in Dallas june 8th-9th... More details later"
...Crabs should be shipped to the Cowboys in return for more picks
Share 49ersWebzone