There are 197 users in the forums

Whitner/Goldsen tandem

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
The Seahawks are actually trying out Chancellor at OLB this year as well.
reminds me of how we screwed up when we did not try to convert taylor mays to a linebacker. I am pretty sure he could have easily beaten out anyone of the guys we put on the field last year in that position . There were alot of people on the zone in favor of that move last year and now as well look back on what we had at the backer position last year and what he did for the bengals.. .

We didn't screw up there. Taylor Mays had top end speed but poor acceleration from a stationary position. That will kill you in coverage whether you're a safety or linebacker. You'll never see Mays in a pro-bowl.
reminds me of how we screwed up when we did not try to convert taylor mays to a linebacker. I am pretty sure he could have easily beaten out anyone of the guys we put on the field last year in that position . There were alot of people on the zone in favor of that move last year and now as well look back on what we had at the backer position last year and what he did for the bengals.. .

This is a joke, right? Right...!?
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Seattles Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas are both ranked higher then the duo of Goldson and Whitner, but Seattle is the only other team with players in both positions higher then us. Were still better though regardless of ranking. Whitners a hard hitting monster and Goldson hits just as hard with good hands, just needs to work on his focus and not crush his own players lol

Kam Chancellor is the best safety on the Seahawks. While everyone was busy looking at the hype of high draft pick Earl Thomas, Chancellor came in with the instincts of a Troy Polumalu and the motor of a Justin Smith. I had never heard of the guy before last season, but just watching him play he always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He's never getting embarrassed or out-hustled. Look for this guy to emit some serious shockwaves in the league over the next 5-6 years.
Kam Chancellor - 97 Tackles, 4INTs, 2 FFs, 13 Pass Defs ............15 Games started
Earl Thomas - 98 Tackles, 2INTs, 1FF, 7 Pass Defs.......................16 Games started

Donte Whitner - 62 Tackles, 2INTs, 1FF, 10 Pass Defs...................15 Games started
Dashon Goldson - 67 Tackles, 6INTs, 1FF, 9 Pass Defs.................14 Games started

I think the high tackle numbers for the Seahawk safeties is due to them not having Novarro Bowman & Patrick Willis on the interior. I believe the 49ers defense was ranked lowest in missed tackles. The 49ers safeties had a combined 3 missed games, while Thomas and Chancellor combined for only 1 as well. It's hard to say which crew is the best overall, but the best safety is obviously Kam Chancellor......and I hate the Seahwaks
Originally posted by WesCosOff4Lyf:
Kam Chancellor - 97 Tackles, 4INTs, 2 FFs, 13 Pass Defs ............15 Games started
Earl Thomas - 98 Tackles, 2INTs, 1FF, 7 Pass Defs.......................16 Games started

Donte Whitner - 62 Tackles, 2INTs, 1FF, 10 Pass Defs...................15 Games started
Dashon Goldson - 67 Tackles, 6INTs, 1FF, 9 Pass Defs.................14 Games started

I think the high tackle numbers for the Seahawk safeties is due to them not having Novarro Bowman & Patrick Willis on the interior. I believe the 49ers defense was ranked lowest in missed tackles. The 49ers safeties had a combined 3 missed games, while Thomas and Chancellor combined for only 1 as well. It's hard to say which crew is the best overall, but the best safety is obviously Kam Chancellor......and I hate the Seahwaks

Good stats. Kam/Thomas are good and only getting better. I'm glad we signed Moss to stretch their safeties. And I agree with your assessment about having poor linebacker play being a factor in padding safety stats. If Moss' vertical routes cause the safety to help in coverage, that would leave Vernon Davis (and Fleener? lol) to occupy the vacated space in the middle of the field or with shallow drags. Seattle's poor linebacker play will be exposed in spectacular fashion.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
This is a joke, right? Right...!?
newbies they are so funny
newbies they are so funny

Hey. Motormouth. I know the red bars next to your name give you some pathetic sense of accomplishment and self worth, but I've been on the webzone since Jeff Garcia was a probowler.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I still don't Whitner in coverage but he is a solid tackler.

Also don't be shocked if the Niners draft a safety early.
Originally posted by susweel:

This.

I agree that we will grab a saftey early. A SS to be exact.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Haven't had a tandem like this since McDonald and Hanks. I think Whitner and Goldson might end up being better. Having that front 7 helps a lot

I don't know about being better. Hanks and McDonald were dominate...

Yeah thats definately a bold statement. Time will tell, but those are some big shoes to fill.

Would be great to see Tim McDonald son TJ a 49er next year!

Whitner is a decent stop gap, but TBH, Goldson needs to be filling the role of SS and we need a true FS. Add a young talented FS and let Goldson headhunt at SS.

Im happy with the play from both, just worried about whitners production possibly falling off. You put a reliable FS next to goldson and goldson becomes the best SS in the league.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by susweel:

This.

I agree that we will grab a saftey early. A SS to be exact.

Dont need a SS. Goldson is a SS. He should be in that roll. Add a quality FS and Goldson becomes the best SS in the league

The number of tackles is lower for Goldson/Whitner because our front 7 rarely let anybody into the secondary
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Whitner is a decent stop gap, but TBH, Goldson needs to be filling the role of SS and we need a true FS. Add a young talented FS and let Goldson headhunt at SS.

Im happy with the play from both, just worried about whitners production possibly falling off. You put a reliable FS next to goldson and goldson becomes the best SS in the league.

i agree. i really like Whitner but i think Goldson would thrive at SS. He hits hard and has better ball skills. If we had a true stud at FS, this defense would be even scarier. Maybe we just find a way to get 3 safeties on the field?
Share 49ersWebzone