There are 340 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Whitner/Goldsen tandem

Are these two the hardest hitting tandem in the league? I can't really think of another FS/SS tandem that are as ferocious hitters. Might be a stretch to call them the best duo in the league, because both occasionally have problems in coverage. That said, having arguably the ILB duo in the league AND the biggest hitters in the safety spots, it is outright dangerous for teams to throw over the middle on us...
Seattles Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas are both ranked higher then the duo of Goldson and Whitner, but Seattle is the only other team with players in both positions higher then us. Were still better though regardless of ranking. Whitners a hard hitting monster and Goldson hits just as hard with good hands, just needs to work on his focus and not crush his own players lol
Haven't had a tandem like this since McDonald and Hanks. I think Whitner and Goldson might end up being better. Having that front 7 helps a lot
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Seattles Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas are both ranked higher then the duo of Goldson and Whitner, but Seattle is the only other team with players in both positions higher then us. Were still better though regardless of ranking. Whitners a hard hitting monster and Goldson hits just as hard with good hands, just needs to work on his focus and not crush his own players lol
yeah i'll agree. im still skeptical on Kam Chancellor..but the dude is like 6'3 230LB+! He's huge! and earl thomas is just another troy polamalu in the making. guy has crazy instincts and speed.

Oaklands safetys with huff and branch are pretty decent too.. in madden they're BEASTS.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Haven't had a tandem like this since McDonald and Hanks. I think Whitner and Goldson might end up being better. Having that front 7 helps a lot

I don't know about being better. Hanks and McDonald were dominate...

Earl Thomas is a beastttt
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

Yeah thats definately a bold statement. Time will tell, but those are some big shoes to fill.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

Yeah thats definately a bold statement. Time will tell, but those are some big shoes to fill.

Very big shoes.Hanks after a while couldnt tackle to save his life,but in the "center field"there was none better at the time.had some really good hands.Mcdonald always took good angles to the ball.

Goldson n Whitner need to play together longer to even be in the conversation.lets see what Dashon does when its not a contract year.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Apr 8, 2012 at 6:45 AM ]

The Seahawks are actually trying out Chancellor at OLB this year as well.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

LOL thats just a far fetched rumor based on the possibility of them drafting Mark Barron.
Even if Gire

Even if Venron

Even if Goldsen

Even in Friso
Get your Spam Jersey at Spam-R-Us.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Apr 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
reminds me of how we screwed up when we did not try to convert taylor mays to a linebacker. I am pretty sure he could have easily beaten out anyone of the guys we put on the field last year in that position . There were alot of people on the zone in favor of that move last year and now as well look back on what we had at the backer position last year and what he did for the bengals.. .
Hanks & McDonald = better coverers

Whitner & Goldson = better hitters
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

Very big shoes.Hanks after a while couldnt tackle to save his life,but in the "center field"there was none better at the time.had some really good hands.Mcdonald always took good angles to the ball.

Goldson n Whitner need to play together longer to even be in the conversation.lets see what Dashon does when its not a contract year.
What made the Hanks/McDonald tandem good was their differing specialties. Hanks was the ballhawk while McDonald layed the wood. McD would get the occasional pick if it were thrown right to him, but Merton sometimes got ran over when he squared up on a ball carrier.

I'd like to see more ball skills from Whitner. I don't doubt he has them, I just wanna see him contribute more to the turnover ratio (although knocking the ball out of an unconscious Pierre Thomas will go down in 49er lore). Goldson seems more of a well-rounded player. Love his ball skills. Love his "woooo licks."