There are 196 users in the forums

Karma's Offseason Roster Breakdown

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Great write-up Karma, it's definitely appreciated.

I don't agree with Cartwright being a lock, I think the he will be competing with Dixon to be a special teams player. The team will likely draft a running back relatively early pushing Dixon into that battle for a special teams spot with guys like Cartwright, Colin Jones and anyone else brought in to fill that Costanzo role. I think Dixon beats Cartwright if he proves he's as capable a special teams player since he brings more value to the team as a runner.
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by mayo49:
RB - The team would be wise to find a guy early to start grooming to replace Gore

I like Kendall filing that spot once Gore is gone.

I like Kendall as a player but I just don't think he can be the power back this offense needs. He is electric when he gets some space, but he just doesn't have the size to pound it up the middle. I could be wrong but I'd like to see another young back with more size and some speed.
agreed... i like hunter but i want to have that two headed attack... one being powerful and hard-hitting the other being wiry agile and quick-striking
Originally posted by NinerDieHard:
Originally posted by mayo49:
RB - The team would be wise to find a guy early to start grooming to replace Gore

I like Kendall filing that spot once Gore is gone.

I like Kendall as a player but I just don't think he can be the power back this offense needs. He is electric when he gets some space, but he just doesn't have the size to pound it up the middle. I could be wrong but I'd like to see another young back with more size and some speed.
agreed... i like hunter but i want to have that two headed attack... one being powerful and hard-hitting the other being wiry agile and quick-striking

Look at the backs that Harbaugh had at Stanford. Big, powerful down-hill runners. Gore is the only guy on the team that comes close to that description. Dixon has the size but he dances like Barlow. Hunter is a great talent to have on the team but they need a big sledgehammer. I guarantee Baalke spends one of the first three picks on a RB.
Was pleasant to read... just not at all convinced of your priority needs in the summary. I don't think we need to add DL early... maybe not at all. I also don't feel we need to draft an early round RB... but fine, if a prospect falls a lot further than he should. Other than addressing the OL in some fashion and another offensive weapon in the pass game, we really don't have much need... a depth player here and there.

This is something I had typed up elsewhere... it's not special, but it's relevant to the topic at hand.

Very few needs... can be pretty flexible and trade up for quality over quantity.

Primary Need:
RG/C - (or if we move Davis to RG and insert Boone to RT, then OT swing-tackle) Goodwin has another year or maybe two at C. We don't know how far along Kilgore is in his development of C/G.

Secondary Needs:
OLB - Haralson is our only backup... need a young rusher to develop...
DB - may want a 5th safety or more CB depth to compete... no need in rds 1-2.
WR - still could use a youngling to develop.
(Would happily draft TE if it's Fleener to replace Delanie Walker, who has only 1 yr left on his contract)
RB - wouldn't hurt to draft a later rd RB to compete and push the others.
Look at the backs that Harbaugh had at Stanford. Big, powerful down-hill runners. Gore is the only guy on the team that comes close to that description. Dixon has the size but he dances like Barlow. Hunter is a great talent to have on the team but they need a big sledgehammer. I guarantee Baalke spends one of the first three picks on a RB.

There's a really good chance that this is going to happen. They are planning to host David Wilson from VT on April 11th/12th, for example: http://sidelines.co/article/259447/899/.

With Gore past his peak but still effective, this is as good a time as any to move towards a committee attack.
Exellent post!

I appreciiate your logic. I thinks a receiver is a primary need. Not necessarily a WR. Based on his measurables and his 40 time, Fleener would be an excellent choice with a WR in the 4-5th rounds

I'm a believer that the wars are won in the trenches. Our O-Line is a major priority. I'm really rooting for Kilgore but haven't seen enough to have an opinion if he's ready or not. If Baalke/JH don't think so then I see us using our 2-3 rounder for tthat position. We also could use another swwing guy like Snyder.

There has been a lot of talk about Turbin and there is certainly a lot to like about him. If Gore goes down Hunter cannot be an every down back. We also need someone to replace "Dancing w/the Stars" Dixon.

D-line needs a better rotation than last year. it would extend Justin's career and heelp greatly if there is an injury to the starters. I'm hoping that Ian Wiallaims steps up.

Thanks again for all the work
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Was pleasant to read... just not at all convinced of your priority needs in the summary. I don't think we need to add DL early... maybe not at all. I also don't feel we need to draft an early round RB... but fine, if a prospect falls a lot further than he should. Other than addressing the OL in some fashion and another offensive weapon in the pass game, we really don't have much need... a depth player here and there.

This is something I had typed up elsewhere... it's not special, but it's relevant to the topic at hand.

Very few needs... can be pretty flexible and trade up for quality over quantity.

Primary Need:
RG/C - (or if we move Davis to RG and insert Boone to RT, then OT swing-tackle) Goodwin has another year or maybe two at C. We don't know how far along Kilgore is in his development of C/G.

Secondary Needs:
(Would happily draft TE if it's Fleener to replace Delanie Walker, who has only 1 yr left on his contract)

I agree with your logic for the most part. Interior offensive line is our biggest need but I put it as the second priority because I believe there are more ways to fill this need. OGs are often chosen in the middle to late rounds and become solid if not spectacular players. RBs can be a trickier animal, in my opinion. We aren't going to find a player to take over for Gore eventually in the FA market without over paying so we need to be on the look out early.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Primary Need:

Secondary Needs:

Of course, the beautiful thing is that we have a lot less NEEDS than in the past!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Exellent post!

I appreciiate your logic. I thinks a receiver is a primary need. Not necessarily a WR. Based on his measurables and his 40 time, Fleener would be an excellent choice with a WR in the 4-5th rounds

I'm a believer that the wars are won in the trenches. Our O-Line is a major priority. I'm really rooting for Kilgore but haven't seen enough to have an opinion if he's ready or not. If Baalke/JH don't think so then I see us using our 2-3 rounder for tthat position. We also could use another swwing guy like Snyder.

There has been a lot of talk about Turbin and there is certainly a lot to like about him. If Gore goes down Hunter cannot be an every down back. We also need someone to replace "Dancing w/the Stars" Dixon.

D-line needs a better rotation than last year. it would extend Justin's career and heelp greatly if there is an injury to the starters. I'm hoping that Ian Wiallaims steps up.

Thanks again for all the work

Thank you! I agree with all of your points. I'm not as high on Turbin as many on this board. He is a physical specimen, but those types of RBs don't often last through the league. Remember how Thomas Clayton was built? Plus, Turbin tends to run too upright for my taste. I am definitely not an expert, though, so we will see!
I simply think that if Fleener is not there at 30, trading that pick for a high second and third just makes too much sense.

2a- RB/G/C whichever is BPA

2B- RB/G/C whichever was not taken as 2A

3A- OLB/DE
3B- OLB/DE whoever is not taken as 3A

4- WR

Thanks for this I didn't realize our OLB depth was so small I think we should keep Haralson for running situations and a good back up.
great job
Good post. First one I've ever read
I hope we dont draft a RB in the first 3 rounds this year, maybe next year.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I hope we dont draft a RB in the first 3 rounds this year, maybe next year.

We do need a rb doe
Share 49ersWebzone