LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Is this the year we finally see the mythical and lengendary functional Alex Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is this the year we finally see the mythical and lengendary functional Alex Smith?

Minimum 2 years means after this year you will see the legendary functional Alex Smith.

You jumped the gun by a year.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What if he is much better than you ever thought? He just needed 2 years in the system. And he may be a true franchise QB....

Bro... you are SUCH a Smith homer, sometimes you just leave me speechless!
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by susweel:
Nope gonna see the same old overly careful Alex. It's just who he is

It's not who he was at Utah. They scored 50 a game sometimes. He was a gunslinger and a bomb thrower. I've seen a totally different guy in the pros.

gimmick offense that even made Chris Leak and Tebow look good.

The fact remains he did score a lot and was not conservative or careful in any way. It wasn't his tempermant in college. He tried to score as much as possible rather than check down and be careful.

Mike Nolan had his way with Alex, rubbed his loins all over his young 21-year-old baby butter-milk skin body. -Nolan worked him over, tied him up, and rubbed some more until his innocence finally died.

After that, Alex was always afraid to fail... or the bad man would come back...

Seems like it. I thought he was turning legit those first few games with turner then cautious Alex arose
  • mike
  • Veteran
I'll let him prove me wrong, but I think there's just as much of a chance that as soon as we make him pass more often he gets picked off again and again. So we end up going back to what we did last season with regard to how often he throws. Which means he stays a "game manager."
Originally posted by mike:
I'll let him prove me wrong, but I think there's just as much of a chance that as soon as we make him pass more often he gets picked off again and again. So we end up going back to what we did last season with regard to how often he throws. Which means he stays a "game manager."

Judging from we've seen in FA and the JJ signing I would say; if he does what you write above, someone else comes in pretty fast. The FO and JH want it now while th iron is hot and we have the D & ST..Smith either gets it done or sits, that's the way I see it shaping up..NINERS!!

It would be QUITE the story thou if he balls all the way outta his head..
Urban Meyer now famously said "Alex is non - functional until he finally gets it." "He has to know everything to perform well." "He needs a minimum of 2 years in the same system with the same guys and coaches to perform his best."

So after 7 years and what 7 coordinators the day has finally arrived. Same coordinator, system, HC who he really responded to and had his best year with and mainly the same key players. Of course a few new additions in the offseason at WR.

So is this the year we see "IT?.....

IMO he will be better than what we have seen. No reason 2 years in the system and same HC he responded to makes him worse. And slightly upgraded WR's. Still need some more in the draft. I think he will be better but I don't know how much better. I definitely think more yards and TD's though.
49ers beat the cardinals, saints, vikings in that order to get to the superbowl, beating peyton manning's broncos 59-6.
Alex Smith and Randy Moss have hall of fame years.
Ted Ginn performs admirably as our #2 due to injuries, line-up shuffling, and beast-mode performances.
Vernon Davis has hall of fame year on route to a hall of fame career.
Frank Gore gets injured but performs like a beast during the playoffs. No Fleener.
Originally posted by nannite:
Minimum 2 years means after this year you will see the legendary functional Alex Smith.

You jumped the gun by a year.

Well I agree he would be better in year #3. But he maybe doesn't get that chance if he doesn't perform well. If he does well this year then we see him in year #3. Sure he would be better with 3 years of continuity and not 2. Who wouldn't be?
What if he is much better than you ever thought? He just needed 2 years in the system. And he may be a true franchise QB....

I'd be madder than a motherf**ker. If playing 2 years in the same system turns out to be some sort of Rosetta Stone to unlocking his potential, I'm gonna break some s**t and probably call Nolan and Singletary some mean names.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I'd be madder than a motherf**ker. If playing 2 years in the same system turns out to be some sort of Rosetta Stone to unlocking his potential, I'm gonna break some s**t and probably call Nolan and Singletary some mean names.

I truly believe a lot of what we have seen is a result of Nolan and Singletary. They have no idea how to develop a QB. Obviously Harbaugh is a master. 1 year, no offseason and he got the best we ever saw out of Smith already. Obviously HC, OC and QB development matter. Especially to a guy like Alex because he thinks so much and is such an academic.
people will still find an excuse of why alex performs badly. fact of the matter is at some point the excuses need to stop. diff hc diff o cord fact is the guy is supposed to be a nfl qb. unfortunately i think we saw the best smith had to offer regardless. everybody talks about his 5 int but nobody talks about his one td a game average. does anyone think hes really gonna repeat 5 ints.

• Jiks

Athletic ability-never used
Rolling out- never used
Slants- Never used
Timing routes- never used
Smarts(audibles)- never used
Most things Alex was good at at Utah-never used

Seen Alex come out of his shell a couple times in his first 6 seasons, but he was never the Alex we drafted. You have to admit the guy had his "WoW!" moments sometimes. Not often but it seemed to really click whenever he just started playing football. Last season, with a structured offense the Urban quotes are becomming true. If you don't believe me. Well wait and see.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Mar 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM ]
This will be the first year Alex throws over 20 tds. I'm calling it right now, 25. He will also have somewhere in the 10-15 int range, I got a feeling the passing attack will be more aggressive this year. Alex might be considered for the pro bowl but won't make it unless as a sub for somebody who is hurt.

I also expect a slow start, as far as stats go.
Originally posted by fister30:
This will be the first year Alex throws over 20 tds. I'm calling it right now, 25. He will also have somewhere in the 10-15 int range, I got a feeling the passing attack will be more aggressive this year. Alex might be considered for the pro bowl but won't make it unless as a sub for somebody who is hurt.

If our receivers didn't have hands of stones (davis,crabtree), ball awareness (walker, ginn) he would have had well over 20 last year. We had the worst receivers in the league last year bar none. Manningham was the giants 3 and he would have been a 1 on our team.
Originally posted by fister30:

with Rodgers, Eli, and Brees he will have a hell of a time. Even if he somehow plays better they are brand name guys

7 years just like LINK. Randy Moss is the Master Sword. Kill Ganondorf and save princess Zelda Alex!!!
Share 49ersWebzone