There are 142 users in the forums

Offseason So Far.....How do you feel overall?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Is moran norris still on the team?

nope
does the extension given to Ray McD beginning of the season count to this list? I remember when he signed alotta people thought we were wasting that much money on a guy who didnt have that big a role in the defense before abruyo left
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Is moran norris still on the team?

nope

and neither is Chilo
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
All they really need is a RG, another WR and depth. When was the last time we were in that good of a position? I'm totally amazed the offseason went this well. If you would have told me this at the beginning of FA and I would have thought we lose Rogers and Ahamad Brooks both and probably don't get any decent WR's. Just didn't think we could afford it. They kept a lot of their own key players, signed other FA's and didn't overpay for anybody. They only have 1 - 2 needs come draft time plus depth and special teams contributors. Just amazing IMO. I'd give it an A grade.

I agree 100%. The best part is, the Niners aren't done. They have all their draft picks, undrafted free agents, and training camp castoffs that they can still add to the mix. Imagine how good this team is going to be going into next season once they fill the few holes they have left......Scary!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I agree 100%. The best part is, the Niners aren't done. They have all their draft picks, undrafted free agents, and training camp castoffs that they can still add to the mix. Imagine how good this team is going to be going into next season once they fill the few holes they have left......Scary!

I hope we did enough after all, with our "elite" defense last year we still lost to the cards, almost lost to the rams and seahawks.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

I hope we did enough after all, with our "elite" defense last year we still lost to the cards, almost lost to the rams and seahawks.

The Giants won the Super Bowl last season and were 9-7...not to mention they lost to the niners.
I'll feel better once we solidify a starting RG.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
I'll feel better once we solidify a starting RG.

I'm comfortable with Kilgore. Reminds me a bit of Gogan. I want to see what he can do out there.
Originally posted by buck:
Defense

Ahmad Brooks OLB
Dashon Goldson FS
Carlos Rogers CB
Larry Grant LB (tendered)
Parish Cox CB (new)

Not many thought we would keep the defense intact.
Baalke did and added Cox who can help both the defense and special teams.
Cox clearly has character issues.

Grade: A

Special Teams

Ted Ginn Jr. WR
C.J. Spillman S
Tavares Gooden LB
Rock Cartwright RB (new)

Basically retained the best special teams unit in the NFL
Keeping Ginn was excellent. Cox gives us a better back-up return man.
Keeping Spillan and Gooden was solid
Losing Castanzo hurts, but Cartwright is a solid special teams player and could be short yardage back.

Grade: A

Offense

Alex Smith QB
Randy Moss WR (new)
Mario Manningham (new)
Josh Johnson QB (new)

Adding Moss was an very good move. It may or may not work, but the high reward-low risk signing is well worth it.
Mario Manningham was a good move. Will be a solid #2, and could challenge for #1.

Keeping Alex Smith was expected but solid. I expect him to improve again this year.
Signing Josh Johnson is a move for the future. Conceptually solid, but we will have to wait to see if it works.
Still missing a move at RG. Looks like Kilgore will be the starter. Seems risky.
Good moves, but results remain to be seen.

Grade: C+ (with possibility of becoming more)

Overall Grade: B+ (easily).

Nice work buck. Totally agree. I would give the offense and A for effort but it turned out to be a solid B in my book. Let's be real here in that they tried their best to get Mike Wallace, Manning and Schwartz but all chose other options including Morgan so what can you do? There was really only one WR in Jackson that would have been an ideal fit for our offense but we had no real shot with that. That said, the Manning pursue may have kept our finances on hold until we knew where Manning was going and in the end, we still ended up getting two new WR's that both fit out biggest issue last year AND got Alex back and provided him and us with some competition and depth. All we need now is a Gore replacement and RG and depth at every other position which we'll do in the draft and FA scrap heaps (like last year). Brilliant offseason so far and an solid A for me (and I don't give those out often). LOL
I'm very happy with what we've done. We pursued the right guys and didn't overpay anyone in terms of guaranteed money. I love the fact that we have all 11 coming back on defense. Obviously there's a hole at RG, so hopefully either Kilgore is the real deal or we're able to fill it.

IMO, good money management is the key to sustainable success in the NFL, and Harbaalke did a fantastic job to that end.

Our O-line was average at best, last year. We need some help there if we want to go to the SB. We won't be playing high school jv scrubs this year. Our schedule is one tough road. Our division has gone from the worst in the NFL to one of the best. It is going to be a dog fight to win 10 games. The o-line gave out sacks like candy on Halloween. Time to make big improvements on pass defense.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Our O-line was average at best, last year. We need some help there if we want to go to the SB. We won't be playing high school jv scrubs this year. Our schedule is one tough road. Our division has gone from the worst in the NFL to one of the best. It is going to be a dog fight to win 10 games. The o-line gave out sacks like candy on Halloween. Time to make big improvements on pass defense.

Totally agree, bro!
Incredible offseason.

Priority #1- Keep defense intact. Check.
Priority #2- Upgrade at WR. Check.
Priority #3- Bring back Teddy Ginn. Check.
Priority #4- Bring back Smith. Check.

The only thing now is depth. Get some depth at RB, OLB and a few other spots and we're golden.

That's where the draft comes into play my friends.

It's amazing how this team went from doing everything wrong, to everything right in one year.

Still dumbfounded that we're talking about the Niners making SMART decisions. Good god, we were tortured for so long with ineptitude in the Front Office and Coaching Staff.

We. Are. Back. To. Business.
I'm very pleased.

We kept everyone on defense which was amazing considering we let a couple explore there options in free agency.
We upgraded the WR corps.
We inquired about Peyton Manning and even made it to his final 3. I can live with that.
We inquired about Mike Wallace. He asked for way too much. nobody will give him what he's asking for.
We resigned Alex Smith
We resgned Ted Ginn

I have complete faith in our front office and coaching staff. Can't wait to see who they draft. May not like the pick but i got faith they know what they are doing.
All I can tell you is that I'm almost blind and my hairy palms would make Teen Wolf jealous....
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone