There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers sign QB Josh Johnson

i've thot about this all day, and yes, somebody is going to be odd man out. Heck, maybe even josh. But i still fail to understand this deal unless JJ is just head and shoulders better than Kap or Tolz. I just don't quite understand this move. Granted, I don't doubt the call made by B&H, because with few exceptions, those guys have been golden. If he is better than either of our backups, super. I don't really know any of the 3 all that well, so that must be the case. Coach doesn't make that many bad choices, Braylon being the one exception. IF that is Coach's record for trades and drafting, then anything any of us says is basically baseless. Coach H knows the game. He got fooled(as did we all ) with braylon. This pick will be interesting to see how it plays out and who else is involved. I still think someone has contacted us about either Kap or Tolz in exchange for a move up in draft...but , obviously i'm just guessing.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Damn, guys... what is this, dog pile on Marv day? WTF?

Josh Johnson could be good, he could be bad... we'll just have to wait and see.

Marvin makes a solid point, though. I don't care what the kid did with Tampa. Different team, different players, different coaches.

It makes sense to think that perhaps returning to the coaching staff that made him the only player to ever be drafted from his college would improve his chances of succeeding at the NFL level.

This isn't a "Harbaugh can make any QB good" argument, either. If Harbaugh thought that, we wouldn't have signed Alex Smith to a deal that gives the team a hefty cap hit this season, let alone gone after Manning. We would have just let Alex go and started Kaepernick. Harbaugh wanted Johnson because he thinks he's a better option than the other QBs that are available and can add something to the team. It's not hard to see the logic there.

Stop thinking you know better than Harbaugh does. You're just setting yourself up to look foolish later. Did you learn nothing from last season? How many people laughed when Harbaugh said this team could win with Alex Smith at QB? I don't care about your opinion of Alex Smith, the fact is that the 49ers did win.

Harbaugh > You

Deal with it.
What is so hard to understand about this move? Harbaugh wanted to bring in a QB that he's worked with and believes can be a quality back or starter. They gave Smith another "prove it" contract. If Smith doesn't show improvement this year he will be gone and then it will be Kaep and JJ. One of the two will be the 2nd string back up, when/if Smith is released. If Smith isn't released, Kaep is probably trade bate and JJ is the back up. This is the most likely scenerio.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 23, 2012 at 5:31 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
What is so hard to understand about this move? Harbaugh wanted to bring in a QB that he's worked with and believes can be a quality back or starter. They gave Smith another "prove it" contract. If Smith doesn't show improvement this year he will be gone and then it will be Kaep and JJ. One of the two will be the 2nd string back up, when/if Smith is released. If Smith isn't released, Kaep is probably trade bate and JJ is the back up. This is the most likely scenerio.

You, sir, have earned the magical gold star of logic:

Matt Barrows ‏ @mattbarrows Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Tell it to me in Star Wars: Josh Johnson is Luke Skywalker. He began his training under Yoda (Harbaugh). Now he wants to complete it.

Ummmmmmmmm... didn't Yoda DIE when Luke returned to finish his training?
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:
It's apparent you guys don't know anything about football. What makes you think tolzein is so good? Cause he beat our 4th stringer scrubs in the last preseason game? Gtfoh! Tolzein is garbage. Josh Johnson is way more athletic and has a better arm as well as more accurate. You really gonna hold it against JJ that he was on a wack bucs team with no receivers, running backs, o line? Gimme a break. Get off Tolzeins nuts!

Ease up bro. Tone down the insults to whoever you are talking about. People are allowed to have opinions. Some people are clearly happy with the JJ signing.

I'm allowed to have an opinion too. And for the record, I'll tone down the insults when I ACTUALLY insult someone.

Just ban him, Rubber! Do it!

Shut your keyboard!
The 2 year contract is telling. The front office has been offering 1 year contracts to most free agents. Alex has to perform this year or he is gone.

This might make us better now but CK is going to miss out on a lot of development and snaps. How many highly drafted and traded up to get 2nd year QB's play a 3rd string role on a team? 2nd round picks should have every opportunity to develop or should be traded for whatever value they have. Unfortunately based on the Taylor Mays deal, I have a good idea what that is. Sad to see that there is no confidence in CK. This shows panic and a big swing and miss in last year's draft. Something I hope Balkee does not continue to do.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Matt Barrows ‏ @mattbarrows Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Tell it to me in Star Wars: Josh Johnson is Luke Skywalker. He began his training under Yoda (Harbaugh). Now he wants to complete it.

Ummmmmmmmm... didn't Yoda DIE when Luke returned to finish his training?

Wow, geek fail. Luke didn't begin his training with Yoda... he began with Obi-wan.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:
Shut your keyboard!

Jump in a bathtub filled with yogurt.

Peach yogurt.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
You, sir, have earned the magical gold star of logic:

Thanks, brah brah.
4 qb's in camp! great competion. but we'll only carry 3. these things have a way of working them selves out. if all 4 look like keepers ...... i smell an injury.... shoot, somebody will have to go on IR!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by Kezar1965:
4 qb's in camp! great competion. but we'll only carry 3. these things have a way of working them selves out. if all 4 look like keepers ...... i smell an injury.... shoot, somebody will have to go on IR!

Only? Damn, wasn't it enough of a task for them to carry just Alex to the playoffs last season?
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Only? Damn, wasn't it enough of a task for them to carry just Alex to the playoffs last season?


LOL
Josh Johnson is garbage.

I guess good bye to Scott.
People have to remember that 3rd stringers are garbage. The only reason why there is a 3rd stringer is because they need another guy to throw in practice.

There has to be that one dude that can throw and knows the offense when the first team is running plays together.