LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Will the WRs be too small for a ground game?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Right now we have 3 undersized (from a run-blocking standpoint) receivers on the roster. Moss is not a blocker, while Williams and Manningham are too small for the task. This leaves only Crabtree as a blocker. This would be OK if one of these undersized WRs could return punts, but since Moss won't, Manningham never has, and Williams... well, do I really need to go further with that?

This means we must bring in another CB or WR fro the task. Based on the receivers' natural ability to catch the ball better than a CB (or else the CB would be a receiver as they say), it is much easier to find a WR for the job, and this player will almost certainly be on the smaller side for the position.

This means we are likely to have 4 non-blocking receivers, and Crabtree as the only exception. Even if we do bring in another rookie with size, chances are he won't find the field very often, buried behind Crabtree, Moss, and Manningham on the depth chart. This worries me as a run first team.
No. The slightly lower ability in blocking by the WRs - and who's to say the coaching won't improve them? - will be offset by the bigger threat in the passing game moving men out of the box Gore/Hunter will run into.
Williams blocks very well.
The only thing I'm worried about right now is the manning/smith situation. Other then that everything else will fall in place once we figure out who our QB will be.
crabtree is not small and Manningham is 6' even with 185lbs. I agree with the poster above and I'll worry about that in the future, not now.
Originally posted by 5NorCalSavage2:
The only thing I'm worried about right now is the manning/smith situation. Other then that everything else will fall in place once we figure out who our QB will be.

Separate issues, however. Although with Manning you'd want more route runners (Manningham), while with Smith you would have to heavily rely on the running game, and therefore blocking ability.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:

This. See Smith's TD run vs Saints.

About as well as he fumbles which is apparently pretty good
It'll be ok. Stephen Hill can block very well.
IMO, having WRs who are actually THREATS in the passing game are more helpful to our run game than guys who can block well.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
IMO, having WRs who are actually THREATS in the passing game are more helpful to our run game than guys who can block well.

True. But ideally you have both. (see: Ward, Hines). My guess is that the coaching staff knows this, and will be looking to build a receiving unit with blocker that can catch, but are not necessarily 1200 yards/season guys. Morgan fit this profile to a T, and that's why Harbaugh wanted to resign him. Crabtree fits this too... although consistency and focus are the major questions for him.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
It'll be ok. Stephen Hill can block very well.

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

He had more blocks this year than fumbles.

People look way too much into blocking by WR's. Sure its important but obviously they dont have to be like extra OL. You also dont have to be a 6'4" WR to be a good blocker.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

He had more blocks this year than fumbles.

People look way too much into blocking by WR's. Sure its important but obviously they dont have to be like extra OL. You also dont have to be a 6'4" WR to be a good blocker.

Not 6'4''. It's more about about weight. If a guy is 170 lbs, he can only be so effective against a 250 lb linebacker.
Good post.

Getting Mannningham was a good move. Williams is a solid blocker and not a punt returner. Crabtree, and I'm not a real fan, impressed me with his blocking.

Let say we sign Peyton, and I think we will. We could use a Fleener, TE, as a fast receiver and a blocker block very well.

John Taylor blocked superbly for Jerry Rice back in the day. A fast TE like Fleener could do the same without having to get a WR.
Share 49ersWebzone