There are 223 users in the forums

What's Your Confidence Level in Colin Kaepernick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What's Your Confidence Level in Colin Kaepernick?

Originally posted by nickbradley:
If they threw Alex out for a noobie, they'd have a major PR issue on their hands...

Keeping Alex smith last year as our starter was a major pr issue...JH doesn't care.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natrone06:
Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Christian Ponder were all well below average during the preseason. I have no idea how Kap will play when he gets a chance but to judge based on his preseason play during rookie strike shortened preseason is simple minded and short sided.

Exactly my point as well. 20ish weeks of practice(16+a bye+playoff weeks) is a pretty long time to develop and preseason is always tough on rookies.

Heck alex smith struggled in preseason too, as well as week 1 and probably even into week 2. We honestly were not looking too hot at that point, the o-line hadn't settled and we were coming off an extremely short offseason.

All things considered it is way too early to say Kaepernick is not the future. The coaches saw Kaepernick progress throughout the year so MAYBE their confidence in him is the reason we lowballed smith. We don't need to lock smith up for the 5 years+big money he wants if Kaepernick could potentially be better than him this year or the next.
If we have to start the year with Kaepernick under center, this team may not make the playoffs.

You think Randy is going to have much success if CK throws 30 interceptions? You think our Defense is going to have a repeat performance of last year?

NEWSFLASH: Having a top defense does NOT automatically mean you'll be a playoff team.

Examples in 2011:
Jets (5th)
Jaguars (6th -- and that's with a HORRIBLE offense)
Eagles (8th)
Seahawks (9th)
Browns (10th)

That's HALF of the top 10 defenses not in the playoffs. Even if you go by "points" instead of yards allowed..

Browns (5th)
Dolphins (6th)
Titans (7th)
Seahawks (8th)
Eagles (10th)

STILL HALF. Just saying.
Coach likes him...I like him! Harbuagh did more with Alex Smith that anyone thought possible, if we went into the season with a pee wee at QB, if Harbuagh said the kid can do it, well I would have to give him the benefit of the doubt!
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If we have to start the year with Kaepernick under center, this team may not make the playoffs.

You think Randy is going to have much success if CK throws 30 interceptions? You think our Defense is going to have a repeat performance of last year?

NEWSFLASH: Having a top defense does NOT automatically mean you'll be a playoff team.

Examples in 2011:
Jets (5th)
Eagles (8th)
Seahawks (9th)
Browns (10th)

That's HALF of the top 10 defenses not in the playoffs. Even if you go by "points" instead of yards allowed..

Browns (5th)
Dolphins (6th)
Titans (7th)
Seahawks (8th)
Eagles (10th)

STILL HALF. Just saying.

This is the NFL we could play the exact same roster as last year and not make the playoffs. Last year things went the 49ers way, up until the Championship game, they might not next year. We have a much much tougher schedule next year. 9 and 7 or 10 and 6 would not be unlikely, even if the team plays the same or better.
I absolutely would not start him yet. This team is ready to win now. If I were the niners I would hope Manning signs, option two is signing Alex Smith to a 3 year deal. Option 3 is bringing in a Vet like Hasselbeck to start the year. What about another option? Giving up a bunch of picks for the franchised Drew Brees? I would like to see Kaepernick stay on the bench atleast another year. If we sign Hasselbeck who often only plays half the year or so, then we can possibly find out about Kaepernick towards the end of the season if our starter goes down. The best options are to get either Manning or Smith back here though.
Low.

Examples in 2011:
Jets (5th)
Eagles (8th)
Seahawks (9th)
Browns (10th)

Browns (5th)
Dolphins (6th)
Titans (7th)
Seahawks (8th)
Eagles (10th)

STILL HALF. Just saying.

Agreed. We will be going nowhere fast with Kaep at the helm. We have a much harder schedule. We might luck out in the division and be one and done if we're lucky.
not very high, but I like him behind center over Manning.. I fear that Manning is made of glass now and wont make it past more than a few games.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I'm not sure. Haven't seen enough to judge. I will say one thing though, watching him in warm ups at the Baltimore/San Fran game....dude has a laser rocket arm.

Harbaalke must be high enough on Kaep to potentially lose the QB that got you the NFC championship. Or they believe that Smith was actually the bottleneck in the overall team performance, and they wouldn't be any worse. I doubt it. Either way, I don't think they would jump into the Manning sweepstakes without being alright with the consequences.

Either that, or they have a 'gentlemen's' agreement with Smith that if Manning were to decline, that the original offer would be waiting for him.
I trust our coach and whatever he decides to do. He hand picked Colin and saw 1st hand Scott's arsenal against us enough to sign him too. So I don't mind one bit both fighting for the starting job. And throw Josh Johnson in there!
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Examples in 2011:
Jets (5th)
Eagles (8th)
Seahawks (9th)
Browns (10th)

Browns (5th)
Dolphins (6th)
Titans (7th)
Seahawks (8th)
Eagles (10th)

STILL HALF. Just saying.

Agreed. We will be going nowhere fast with Kaep at the helm. We have a much harder schedule. We might luck out in the division and be one and done if we're lucky.
I agree with everything you guys are saying but why does Kaep have to throw all of those picks? Why can't Harbaugh baby him like he does with Alex... meaning pound the ball with Gore and only let Kaep throw in situations where the odds are in his favor. Don't allow Kaep to throw a pick.

It's not an ideal situation but the only problem I see is that our schedule is going to be much tougher this year. But that same schedule worries me with Alex as well. If Newton and Dalton can have success in year 1 with lesser talent, why can't Kaep do the same with more talent around him?
Still can't believe we got Harbaugh.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Still can't believe we got Harbaugh.

lulz
Share 49ersWebzone