There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What's Your Confidence Level in Colin Kaepernick?

What's Your Confidence Level in Colin Kaepernick?

So if the unthinkable happens -- Peyton Manning signs with the Titans and Alex Smith bolts for Miami -- 95% chance that Colin Kaepernick is our 2012 starter. What's your confidence level in the young man? With Harbaugh's run-oriented, low-mistake offensive scheme, I think that Kaep will put up decent numbers and approach what Smith did last year, with a few more INTs I assume.

So if this "worst-case scenario" does happen, I see one of two scenarios playing out:

1. Sign Matt Hasselbeck and hold an open competition for the QB job in camp
2. Sign David Gerrard or Donovan McNabb to backup QB contracts and hand the job to Kaepernick.
As much as the 2 series at the end of a Tampa blow out gives
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,151
Originally posted by nickbradley:
So if the unthinkable happens -- Peyton Manning signs with the Titans and Alex Smith bolts for Miami -- 95% chance that Colin Kaepernick is our 2012 starter. What's your confidence level in the young man? With Harbaugh's run-oriented, low-mistake offensive scheme, I think that Kaep will put up decent numbers and approach what Smith did last year, with a few more INTs I assume.

So if this "worst-case scenario" does happen, I see one of two scenarios playing out:

1. Sign Matt Hasselbeck and hold an open competition for the QB job in camp
2. Sign David Gerrard or Donovan McNabb to backup QB contracts and hand the job to Kaepernick.
about as good as my confidence in the head coach and front office right now for screwing up something that was not broken in the first place,,, by the way,, its not very high
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
As much as the 2 series at the end of a Tampa blow out gives

how are those two drives ENOUGH to allow you to form an opinion on the guy?
Originally posted by cciowa:
about as good as my confidence in the head coach and front office right now for screwing up something that was not broken in the first place,,, by the way,, its not very high

I understand your frustration. But if they thought Smith was the long-term answer, they would have offered him a long-term contract...and they **did not**.

So they must feel pretty good about Kaep, or a Kaep-Hasselbeck combo.
After preseason, CK did not look so hot. During his two brief stints during mop-up time, he looked much more poised. If we have to start him, I would be okay with that. However, I do not believe he is quite ready yet
  • fly15
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,222
we have a qb guru, we should b ok
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
So if the unthinkable happens -- Peyton Manning signs with the Titans and Alex Smith bolts for Miami -- 95% chance that Colin Kaepernick is our 2012 starter. What's your confidence level in the young man? With Harbaugh's run-oriented, low-mistake offensive scheme, I think that Kaep will put up decent numbers and approach what Smith did last year, with a few more INTs I assume.

So if this "worst-case scenario" does happen, I see one of two scenarios playing out:

1. Sign Matt Hasselbeck and hold an open competition for the QB job in camp
2. Sign David Gerrard or Donovan McNabb to backup QB contracts and hand the job to Kaepernick.
about as good as my confidence in the head coach and front office right now for screwing up something that was not broken in the first place,,, by the way,, its not very high
You need to calm yourself down. Go do something else and don' get back on here today. All you're doing is working on making yourself look stupid in the long run.
If the following 3 statements remain true 100%.

We have an elite defense, we have an elite special teams, we have a very solid rushing attack.

Not much would have changed from last year. You can win Super Bowls with a developing quarterback.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
how are those two drives ENOUGH to allow you to form an opinion on the guy?

I think our system ensures a high probability of success. Only 25 passes per game, lots of short-yardage passes to the tight end, etc.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
As much as the 2 series at the end of a Tampa blow out gives

how are those two drives ENOUGH to allow you to form an opinion on the guy?

Not sure. That's my point....we don't know enough. Unless he can play beyond the usual QB development time line of a NFL qb, it doesn't look like he will be much. Plus he didn't play under center in college so it should take even more development time.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Mar 18, 2012 at 9:36 AM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
He's not ready, sign alex
This would be a disaster and would demonstrate a lack of foresight
Alex Smith was never anything special...
We have nowhere to go but up...

I'd say he either meets or surpasses Alex's numbers.