LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

49ers sign Mario Manningham

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Probably done as a Niner after this season unless he really lights it up in the playoffs

I say he should get a one year veteran minimum deal. The guy was pretty good for us last year and is a proven receiver. He gets an opportunity to prove he can still play and we know the coaches will actually use him. If he balls out, he gets to move on for more money or possibly remain with us if we lose Crabtree or don't have Boldin. It would be a typical Trent Baalke minimum risk type of contract and we know what we'd be getting from Mario. Then we enter into training camp with Crabtree, Manningham, Patton, Baldwin, 2 or 3 rookies, and possibly Anquan Boldin. Best 5 or 6 make the roster.

I think once Mario Manningham gets fully healthy he makes a good #2 receiver and a great #3.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Dec 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
It's really unfortunate. I think he tried to get back to help the team, but he isn't ready. What's worse is that he's a free agent this offseason. I could see him signing a veteran minimum one year deal from us or another team to prove he still has it.

I could see his career possibly ending, similar to his former teammate Steve Smith. Dude went from the Pro-Bowl to out of the league in about 3 years.

Manningham absolutely had his knee torn apart, like I've been saying since the injury happened, no guarantee he'll ever be the same again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/29/steve-smith-the-other-one-retires/
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's really unfortunate. I think he tried to get back to help the team, but he isn't ready. What's worse is that he's a free agent this offseason. I could see him signing a veteran minimum one year deal from us or another team to prove he still has it.

I could see his career possibly ending, similar to his former teammate Steve Smith. Dude went from the Pro-Bowl to out of the league in about 3 years.

Manningham absolutely had his knee torn apart, like I've been saying since the injury happened, no guarantee he'll ever be the same again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/29/steve-smith-the-other-one-retires/

Yea more than likely Manningham is done after next season or partially through it. He's not coming back here, if anybody thinks otherwise they are crazy but I bet at least a handful of teams offer him a 1-2 year prove it deal to him. Sucks cause Rio is seems like a good guy and IMO had Jenkins been worth a damn would've been a good mentor for him and same with Patton.

We are a 2 WR/2TE kind of offense and with Crabtree here it comes down to who is going to the 2nd WR. Right now it is obvious that it could be Boldin for a few more years or a different free agent. With Patton hopefully developing and Jon Baldwin hanging out on the sidelines I don't know why we'd bring Rio back.
He needs to help in the playoffs though
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yea more than likely Manningham is done after next season or partially through it. He's not coming back here, if anybody thinks otherwise they are crazy but I bet at least a handful of teams offer him a 1-2 year prove it deal to him. Sucks cause Rio is seems like a good guy and IMO had Jenkins been worth a damn would've been a good mentor for him and same with Patton.

We are a 2 WR/2TE kind of offense and with Crabtree here it comes down to who is going to the 2nd WR. Right now it is obvious that it could be Boldin for a few more years or a different free agent. With Patton hopefully developing and Jon Baldwin hanging out on the sidelines I don't know why we'd bring Rio back.

More bodies. That's all. Especially if for some crazy reason they don't retain Boldin.

On another note, if this truly is the end, I wonder if he is interested in coaching .
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Dec 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM ]
Has been placed on IR
Dam tough break for Manningham. Let's get Patton in the mix
Hope he comes back strong next year, good luck Mario!
Originally posted by Hayes4Dayes:

+1 but I hope he will be replaced by a rookie stud WR.
Originally posted by Hayes4Dayes:

doubt we bring him back

Little productivity as of late. Salary cap is in danger.

He's more than likely done. At least with us.
We're up to Patton and Mcdonald to step it up for the 49ers? We're screwed.

Patton may be good but he never got a chance to prove himself. Mcdonald just plain blows.
In general I think he is done here. Then again, his current deal is really cheap and given that he didn't prove much, especially this season, we could reach another cheap deal and retain him.
Perhaps even without any guaranteed money so that we could cut him without building up dead money.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
We're up to Patton and Mcdonald to step it up for the 49ers? We're screwed.

Patton may be good but he never got a chance to prove himself. Mcdonald just plain blows.

patton has to step up for us i guess, i think manningham could be done for his career, i guess that knee injury really did him in, never gonna be the same player he was with the giants. he can thank seattle for that.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Fail
Share 49ersWebzone