LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

49ers sign Mario Manningham

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Disp:
Exactly. Manningham is a good route runner and has great hands. Those two things alone have been completely missing from our #2 all season.

He beats coverage right off the line of scrimmage and gets quick separation, that is HUGE.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy just as much as the next man that Ham is back, but lets bump some threads from the 2011 NFC Championship Game and see if all this love fro Ham was reciprocated.

Alex Smith Debate in 3.... 2..... 1........
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Exactly. Manningham is a good route runner and has great hands. Those two things alone have been completely missing from our #2 all season.

He beats coverage right off the line of scrimmage and gets quick separation, that is HUGE.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy just as much as the next man that Ham is back, but lets bump some threads from the 2011 NFC Championship Game and see if all this love fro Ham was reciprocated.

I'm confused? Are you saying Rio is bad or are you saying Rio did well in the NFCCG so we all hated him after that game? Because Rio is definitely going to be an immediate upgrade.
Guys, I think you need to tailor your expectations for Mario BIG TIME. Mario is only 10 months removed from a blown up knee. He is an ideal slot WR but he is NOT an X-reciever (ala Boldin, Baldwin or Crabtree). He relies heavily on clean releases, his first two steps and shiftiness/quickness/burst. He is an ideal slot WR...but in our offense, those snaps usually go to the second TE (McDonald). I'm not feeling good about asking him to play the X spot where you need to be bigger, stronger and seal the edge in the run game, lots of blocking for other WR's, will get pressed up at the LOS, raped, etc. Baldwin would be much more ideal there but we don't use him. That said, he would be an instant upgrade over Williams (which is mind boggling he is still out there at the X or Z spots). Once Crabtree gets back to his X spot, then Mario can slide back inside and we should see better results. But don't expect much of anything for anyone other than Boldin/VD/Miller in the passing game while Mario gets his feet under him.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 5, 2013 at 8:18 AM ]
How sick would it be if he scored on Sunday
Ya'll ready for some Super Mario? He instantly dramatically improves our passing game. Dude had almost a 1000 yard season and 9 tds just a couple years ago. He is a great #2 receiver. Good compliment to Boldin. When Crabtree comes back, watch the f**k out NFL!!!

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Ya'll ready for some Super Mario? He instantly dramatically improves our passing game. Dude had almost a 1000 yard season and 9 tds just a couple years ago. He is a great #2 receiver. Good compliment to Boldin. When Crabtree comes back, watch the f**k out NFL!!!

Nice...too bad we don't operate a Giant's offense. That said, have any Niner highlight videos of Mario with us? More realistic...
Originally posted by NCommand:
Guys, I think you need to tailor your expectations for Mario BIG TIME. Mario is only 10 months removed from a blown up knee. He is an ideal slot WR but he is NOT an X-reciever (ala Boldin, Baldwin or Crabtree). He relies heavily on clean releases, his first two steps and shiftiness/quickness/burst. He is an ideal slot WR...but in our offense, those snaps usually go to the second TE (McDonald). I'm not feeling good about asking him to play the X spot where you need to be bigger, stronger and seal the edge in the run game, lots of blocking for other WR's, will get pressed up at the LOS, raped, etc. Baldwin would be much more ideal there but we don't use him. That said, he would be an instant upgrade over Williams (which is mind boggling he is still out there at the X or Z spots). Once Crabtree gets back to his X spot, then Mario can slide back inside and we should see better results. But don't expect much of anything for anyone other than Boldin/VD/Miller in the passing game while Mario gets his feet under him.

Solid analysis. We need to calm our boners down with MM coming back. At least for the first three or four weeks. He will benefit from a healthy Crabs.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Solid analysis. We need to calm our boners down with MM coming back. At least for the first three or four weeks. He will benefit from a healthy Crabs.

Really excited myself looking towards a full arsenal...just need to be patient and look towards the playoffs no matter what seed we end up; we'll REALLY need them healthy and productive then and it's going to take them some real in-game time to get back to form.
If we look at Boldin as a Michael Crabtree type player (minus the foot speed) then having Manningham back is almost like having everyone healthy. Manningham will get single coverage because of Davis and Boldin. If we go 4 wide, then someone like Williams or Baldwin might get more catches because of Manningham and Boldin.

I like where our team is at and where it's heading. Can't wait to see Crabtree, Manningham, Boldin and Davis on the field at the sametime this year!!
A 50% Rio is better then all the other active WRs not named Boldin on our team.

ITS TIME

Wait, what? I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

Manningham didn't sign the 49ers until 2012. Last year was his first year with the team. He was playing for the Giants in the NFCCG. Are you joking about the fact that he scored late in the 4th quarter of that game to put the Giants ahead?
Originally posted by sacniner:

You couldn't calm this boner with an industrial strength rubberband and a bandsaw.
Originally posted by kingairta:
A 50% Rio is better then all the other active WRs not named Boldin on our team.

Sad but true.
Super mario had good chemistry going on with Kaepernick, can't wait to see that continue.
Share 49ersWebzone