There are 162 users in the forums

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Originally posted by Furlow:
To me, this isn't about Alex vs. Peyton, it's about Peyton vs. "our guy." I just can't shake the thought that signing Peyton is selling out, and I thought we were building something different than that. If the FO doesn't want to go with Smith, fine. Then let's roll with Kaepernick. It's one thing to sign free agents here and there who come with sensible contracts. But throwing mega millions at one player (who happens to be old and injured) is just risky, irresponsible, and completely opposite of everything the players have been sold as a team (and us as a fan base).

Totally agree. This is exactly what I'm thinking and feeling. Hopefully, the 49ers and Alex Smith work this out. Alex is the present and future. The NFC Divisional game vs the Saints prove that Smith is superstar quality who could realistically surpass Peyton's past success.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by djfullshred:
To me, this isn't about Alex vs. Peyton, it's about Peyton vs. "our guy." I just can't shake the thought that signing Peyton is selling out, and I thought we were building something different than that. If the FO doesn't want to go with Smith, fine. Then let's roll with Kaepernick. It's one thing to sign free agents here and there who come with sensible contracts. But throwing mega millions at one player (who happens to be old and injured) is just risky, irresponsible, and completely opposite of everything the players have been sold as a team (and us as a fan base).

I remember people saying this about the '94 49ers - the last time they made it to the Superbowl btw.

That was different, we added multiple pieces, and most of those guys could have gone to other teams and gotten more money. They took less to come here and win a Super Bowl. If Manning is willing to take less, I'd be okay with it. But I'd still prefer our guy(s) over him.

Sure, it is different. The one constant though is that it is very hard to get to & win the SP (I know, not exactly brilliant insight).

But one has to ask was last year's team a peak with Smith or building to something better? This is a question a lot of smart people can't seem to answer. If Manning is healthy, there is no question at all there what he is capable of.
If Manning is healthy is a BIG if. Even if he is, he's only going to last 2-3 more years. So let me ask you, would you rather have 1 or 2 great chances at a Super Bowl or 9-10 good chances at a Super Bowl?

I think we can agree that no matter what we do, we're only giving ourselves a CHANCE.
Originally posted by NinerJedi:

Totally agree. This is exactly what I'm thinking and feeling. Hopefully, the 49ers and Alex Smith work this out. Alex is the present and future. The NFC Divisional game vs the Saints prove that Smith is superstar quality who could realistically surpass Peyton's past success.

Depending on PM's health I agree. Mainly that I want Alex to work out because I want to see how good he can get with the new weapons we have and a second season in Harbaugh offense. I want Alex as the QB regardless though, he is our guy. We watched him do terrible, then put up with injuries and poor coaching, then get better, then finally get good and get to the playoffs and have an amazing game there, come within 2 fumbles from the superbowl, and now it ends? That f**kin sucks man
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by BOI49er:

Very good. And while we're rolling with Kaepernick, we can get Josh Johnson to compete, and still have plenty of cap for wr MW from Pitt with a front loaded contract that wouldn't be matched. The biggest thing is with Manning's 90M, we'll look like Indy does now in 5 years, and facing another long rebuilding period. Yuck. You can't win without a strong roster, and overpaying for one position prevents that. Eddie didn't bring in many old guys and pay them a ton. He cut them. That's why this seems so out of character for our GM and current management.
Well according to 49erJim, the salary cap will soon be $200 million, so it's not really a "true" salary cap anymore. "Everyone knows this" he said. Lol where is that guy anyway? I need to see some laughing smiley faces.

Oh.
No man, you are RIGHT. I was taking a jab at 49erJim, he's a comedian around here. I'm 100% convinced that he's laughing while writing every one of his posts.

I got it. Just feigning accepting the correction from 49erJim.

Of unemployment you mean. Technically he isn't on the team.

But sure, I wouldn't mind if he came crawling back.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Depending on PM's health I agree. Mainly that I want Alex to work out because I want to see how good he can get with the new weapons we have and a second season in Harbaugh offense. I want Alex as the QB regardless though, he is our guy. We watched him do terrible, then put up with injuries and poor coaching, then get better, then finally get good and get to the playoffs and have an amazing game there, come within 2 fumbles from the superbowl, and now it ends? That f**kin sucks man
Let the man finish what he started!

I remember people saying this about the '94 49ers - the last time they made it to the Superbowl btw.

That was different, we added multiple pieces, and most of those guys could have gone to other teams and gotten more money. They took less to come here and win a Super Bowl. If Manning is willing to take less, I'd be okay with it. But I'd still prefer our guy(s) over him.

Sure, it is different. The one constant though is that it is very hard to get to & win the SP (I know, not exactly brilliant insight).

But one has to ask was last year's team a peak with Smith or building to something better? This is a question a lot of smart people can't seem to answer. If Manning is healthy, there is no question at all there what he is capable of.
If Manning is healthy is a BIG if. Even if he is, he's only going to last 2-3 more years. So let me ask you, would you rather have 1 or 2 great chances at a Super Bowl or 9-10 good chances at a Super Bowl?

I think we can agree that no matter what we do, we're only giving ourselves a CHANCE.

Yes, I'll go for it all if I am close & have a chance to get better. I notice the 49ers have a trail of fired coaches who were building for the future over the last decade. Would be a different story if I thought Smith was an exceptional QB and not what I really think - a guy who has some talent but limited
[ Edited by djfullshred on Mar 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erJim:
You put Alex Smith on another team that has a bad defense or a so so defense, and that team will not win 8 games.....

Exactly and put a Brees/Manning type with our D and Fuggedaboudit
[ Edited by ninerfan818 on Mar 17, 2012 at 10:52 PM ]

Let the man finish what he started!

The man wants to test free agency. Respect his wishes.

• Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
You put Alex Smith on another team that has a bad defense or a so so defense, and that team will not win 8 games.....

You guys are really onto something... Just sign ALL of the best players at each position! At next year's Pro Bowl Baalke should just offer every guy the maximum amount possible, plus 10%. Our team will be like ALL MADDEN in the video game! Yeah!!!

Originally posted by Leathaface:

I know, I read that too. I'm just going to pretend I didn't see that.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

You guys are really onto something... Just sign ALL of the best players at each position! At next year's Pro Bowl Baalke should just offer every guy the maximum amount possible, plus 10%. Our team will be like ALL MADDEN in the video game! Yeah!!!

WHY DON'T WE JUST GIVE AWAY ALL THE MONIES WHILE WE R AT IT?!?!? AMIRITE GUIZE?

That has nothing to do with his post.
Share 49ersWebzone