LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

5 years of 90 million? What?
That left the fast-rising Tennessee Titans, whose owner offered Manning a life-time job, the Broncos, who were reportedly ready to offer a $90 million, five-year deal, and the 49ers as the only known contenders in the Manning drama.
There's no way we offer that and mortgage our future for one player. God I hope not!
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Archie Manning, Dan Marino, Boomer

Marino
Mark Clayton

Boomer
Cris Collinsworth
Eddie Brown

Archie wasn't great

Cris Collinsworth and Eddie Brown? you're reaching big time.

I would say Jeff failed again. Brown only had one okay season. He never was that good. I saw both of them play.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
That left the fast-rising Tennessee Titans, whose owner offered Manning a life-time job, the Broncos, who were reportedly ready to offer a $90 million, five-year deal, and the 49ers as the only known contenders in the Manning drama.
There's no way we offer that and mortgage our future for one player. God I hope not!

Pay him it aint my money.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niner559:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
A 28 year old Alex Smith will be comparable in production to a 36 year old Peyton Manning and will cost less than half the price. And if he backslides, why did we just trade picks to move up for Kaepernick? I thought the whole plan with the front office was that they were not trying to capture lightning in a bottle, but were building for a long, sustained run. Overpaying for Manning seems a little impulsive for a team as solid as the Niners. Manning is overrated at this point in his career. There, I said it.

Then why offer Alex a contract at all? Alex for three years or Manning for three years? A just comparing Alex's production to Mamming's is laughable.

Your response is incomprehensible. At 36 years of age, and after several neck surgeries, Manning is over the hill. At this point in his career he's a marginal upgrade over Alex Smith coming into his prime years, given age and health. Prime v. Prime, Manning is clearly the better player and one of the greats. But Manning was declining before his injury. He certainly looked like no Superman when the Niners confused and pressured him all day in 2010. He is not worth mortgaging the future for and it would be a mistake. This whole story is total media generated hyperbole that Manning and his agent, Condon, are lapping up because it will drive his price throught the stratosphere.

"Smith coming into his prime" going into his what 8th year! lol

"Marginal Upgrade" you know we were 29th in passing last year right?

How was Manning declining exactly?

Didn't he win that game that he looked confused in?

And we're not mortgaging the future, CK ethier learns behind Alex or Manning

Mannings best years statistically were his 7th - 9th year in the league -- based on QB rating and Super Bowl win in 2006. Alex Smith is coming into his 7th season, which corresponds with Manning's prime. Mannings's QB rating in his last healthy season in 2010 was 91.9. Alex Smith's QB rating last year was 90.7. I think Manning's trajectory is downward, which is borne out by a generally declining QB rating since his prime in years 7-9, though still very good numbers. Factor in the age and neck surgeries, you have to expect his production to drop from his prior stats, especially considering the Niners don't have top tier receivers and prefer to run the ball. So, is Manning clutch? Playoff record is 7-10. One SB win, one loss. Game winning drives in playoff appearances - 1. He is consistently good in the regular season, not as good in the playoffs, and his numbers are in decline with age and serious injuries. Juxtapose Alex Smith, at 28, in a system he's comfortable with and a good coach, who has demonstrated an ability to win playoff games and pull out clutch wins throughout the season. If there is an edge to Manning at this point, it is marginal, and certainly not worth an extra $30-40 Million cap hit. Oh, and that winning TD thrown in 2010 was chucked by the running back on a gimmick play after we owned Manning all day.

Manning has been in his prime since 1999. Just because his stats were ridiculously good in year 7-9 doesn't mean he was any less dominant. Tom Brady's best year was in 2007, that doesn't mean he's still not in his prime. And if Alex's prime is 17 TD's and 29th in passing, ya I'll pass. I love Alex but come on don't let hommerism get in the way of logic. And Manning has never had a defence like ours and the last time his running game was as good, he won a Superbowl.

Come on...Alex was the 9th rated passer last year!!! The team was 29th in passing YARDS...Offensive philosophy.
More like playing to the teams strength. or avoiding the weakness
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:

Pay him it aint my money.
But we still need to sign some of our key players long term. I hope they do this right if they sign him. If we get him and we can still sign guys like Bowman and Goldson long term then I would be down.
it aint your money.. its aldon and navaros dough.
I'm not sure we would have to pay up like the Broncos or the Titans.

We're not offering him the best contract our appeal to him would be the most rings.

I'm leaning towards Alex but only at the right price.
Originally posted by 49erJim:
just one problem, Alex Smith can't toss the rock and Manning can. I rather have Manning with a broken leg and hand then Alex Smith....

Manning is good, but your hatred of Smith is irrational. Smith did a nice job last year. At his age and experience, his trajectory is about to cross Peyton Mannings. Manning is a very good regular season statistical player, excellent in fantasy, but a Super Bowl is by no means the guaranteed result of his signing. His teams have been one and done in seven years he has led them to the playoffs. He has led one come-from-behind win in 19 postseason games.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1107466-peyton-manning-risk-or-reward

I dont hate on anyone, I am just tried of his play, his play is irrational, and hes been paid very well. If you give Peyton Manning the 49ers defense, and one more good WR you have a much better chance of going to the superbowl then you do with Alex Smith.
Come on...Alex was the 9th rated passer last year!!! The team was 29th in passing YARDS...Offensive philosophy.

I could just as easily turn it the other way around.

The coach designs plays where when the first read is open, you take it and ignore the rest of the field, otherwise you check down. This will give most average talents a solid QB rating. But it will also prevent them from finding big play opportunities down the field.

Manning scans the whole field, and goes for big chunks of yards even if the receiver is blanketed. This results in huge yards and huge TD numbers in a season, although he might not be as efficient.
He also hits the receivers in stride where they can run with the ball after the catch 90% of the time. He doesn't throw it 5 ft over their head forcing them to make leaping catches half the time.
Its his "philosophy" because he is able to make the incredible throws all game long.

Its our "philosophy" to be the 29th ranked passing attack, because we have to design special plays to get our guys wide open.
I have no idea how 1/3 of the Webzoners actually want to keep first round bust Alex Smith. Every time I go to 'The Stick' or any bars and actually meet Niner faithful more likely than not we dont like Alex. Alex played well even though he only threw 17 tds. But our defense got us to the NFC championship; Alex is a good manager at best and doesn't come close to what Peyton could do. We are probably superbowl favorites with him. I dont get why Alex supporters wouldn't be on board.

Originally posted by 49erJim:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Archie Manning, Dan Marino, Boomer

Marino
Mark Clayton

Boomer
Cris Collinsworth
Eddie Brown

Archie wasn't great

jeff what is your point? You think Alex Smith is better then Manning now? You would rather have Alex Smith as your QB then Manning? With Alex Smith as our 2012 qb the 49ers might not even get to the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP game again. Manning season in and season out can take you there, and he has never had an defense like ours. Is it the money or Manning age or both?

And once again you guys aren't answering the question. You give examples (wrong by the way) to answer my question and then ask what the point is to the question I asked that you incorrectly answered....? I will do this again.....we had nobody at WR who was doing anything. My point is Alex needs weapons outside of Davis and that was proven by every mock having us taking WR's, sports writers saying we need WR's and the poll I posted months ago asking the team weakness and it came up......WR. Every good QB who is SUCCESSFUL has good WR's.

Now I can say one makes the other and vice versa. If we had other help besides Swain and Hasting the numbers would of been better. If Curtis Painter can put Wayne and Garcon at 950+ each then it shows what good WR's can do with a dog s**t QB...which Alex is not. The low passing numbers, the 3rd down %, etc etc will get much better with adequate players. Thinking Manning would of made those 2 idiots great is laughable, s**t players will always be s**t. Wayne and Garcon posted great numbers with a crap QB...like Fitz has done and other guys with QB's less stellar then Alex.

To sum up get Alex help and he will be better then last year...and last year we were a c**t hair away from the Superbowl. Expecting these great passing numbers from Alex when he has garbage is idiotic. The great passing numbers come from QB's with ACTUAL HELP, something Alex never has never had. The great guys have stellar WR's and that trend has always been true. You will never find 1 great QB who had crap to work with for more then 2 years.....the FO of that team fixes the problem. We have played the FA 1 year deal on washed up players approach for years and it never worked. The best guy we had for Alex just left for Washington, Crabs is an enigma that will leave when his contract is up, and after that we have Mr. Fumble Williams......and Moss. And if we are lucky stone hands Ginn will come back to catch punts and run go routes he has no interest in catching.....does that sound like a winning group of guys for any QB?

Get the kid weapons!
. BUT WE SURE WOULD GET ON SPORTS CENTER A WHOLE LOT MORE! AND THE REFS WILL LOVE US AND PROTECT PEYTON....ON THE REAL
  • mike
  • Veteran

lmfao, QB rating is a joke. The rest of the QBs with similar QB ratings also happen to throw the ball 200 or so times more than Alex.

Matt moore was 87.1 only 3 percent less than alex. So you're saying you'd be fine with him too? because of our "offensive philosophy" of having an efficient "game manager" qb?

Passing yards DO matter. Our passing game is still pathetic, I don't care if it's "efficient". Throwing 16 out of 24 passes for 174 yards and 2 touchdowns is an efficient game(the Dallas game that we lost in week 2), but I think throwing more often even at the cost of some efficiency is going to help you more than those kinds of stats would.
there will be a whos the man " Manning vs Manning NFC championship game rematch.... 4sure if he signs
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
At 18 mil a year Manning would be one of the highest paid QB in the league. If you think Alex will sign for less than 10, you're dreaming. I'd take Manning at 25mil a year but that's not going to put us into cap hell.
[ Edited by KID9R on Mar 16, 2012 at 5:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone