There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Poll: Peyton or Alex?

Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Folks. This is nothing against Alex. How is this poll even this close? Hall of Fame QB right now compared a guy who hasn't even made a probowl. I like ALex and what he has done but come on. Even with Peyton's contract and risky neck... Anyone voting for Alex I assume never witnessed are glory days with Montana and Young. We used to always be the best of the best, especially at QB.

No I actually saw Young's last few years at QB, he was my favorite player as a little kid. But they were 49ers. When you hear Peyton manning 5-10 years from now nobody will think about Manning the 49ers, it'll always be Manning the Colt. He's as good as a mercenary dude.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by jreff22:
I love this theory but do you have any proof?

What great QB's have a roster filled with crap?

And great WR's perform every year and that's been the ongoing problem. Alex to Vernon was solid.....Crabtree much?

Do you have any proof that Manning wont be better than Smith ?

deflecting now? This has been an ongoing excuse by you guys yet I see no examples provided?
We let that jackass in Arizona beat us with Fitz. Painter had Wanye and Garcon almost at 1k yards each.

I am looking at every team and cant find 1 great QB who is throwing to garbage....find me one.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by danimal:
DON'T BE AFRAID OF GREATNESS NINER FANS!!!

Apparently we love mediocrity.

NFC championship game is mediocrity....?

The QB play was, Im not talking about team performance.
Please. You're better than that comment. That kind of statement makes you look silly.

Is it wrong to improve the offense.

no, that's why we are drafting WR's...remember the biggest compalint everybody had about the team

A great QB makes average WR look better.

And great WR's perform every year and that's been the ongoing problem. Alex to Vernon was solid.....Crabtree much?

Archie Manning, Dan Marino, Boomer
Originally posted by GoldBlooded1985:
Imagine what you could buy with Peyton Manning's contract and cap hit...Thats like Calvin Johnson or Mario Williams. The thing is we brought back the entire D and Peyton can make Moss look like Optimus Prime.

I have always been a fan of Alex...but the truth is that there is no better place to use this cap room. A Super Bowl winning chip on the shoulder read any defense leader will change our team. Alex or Peyton...we still win the Super Bowl. But we could go for a perfect season with Peyton Manning and Jim Harbaugh working together. We all dreaming about this before last year.

You are assuming that you or anyone else knows want Peyton will get if he comes to the Niners. If he goes to another team, he will get more........that you can be sure of.

deflecting now? This has been an ongoing excuse by you guys yet I see no examples provided?
We let that jackass in Arizona beat us with Fitz. Painter had Wanye and Garcon almost at 1k yards each.

I am looking at every team and cant find 1 great QB who is throwing to garbage....find me one.

That argument cant be made because if the QB is good he is gonna throw for a lot yards and TDs and those WRs stats will go up making them seem better than they are.

Its like the chicken and egg argument.
Originally posted by 49erJim:
Alex has not been dicked over by anyone, he has been paid HUGE $$$ for playing like sh$#. He has had 2 okay seasons, and 5 very bad ones, the 49ers have kissed his a$$ and done everything possible to help him, I know that Nolan kinda lost faith in him but nolan also picked him 1st and made him rich. Alex Smith might end up having a crap season, if that happens and Manning takes Denver to a superbowl, then you will see some crying.

And this proves you know absolutely nothing.
I know more then you. You don't know what you are crying about. Anyone with any smarts about how the NFL works, would understand that the 49ers are much better off today with Manning then Alex Smith. I am tired of people making excuse after excuse for him, he's been paid huge sums of money and he still passes like crap. If the 49ers could get a Manning today they would pull the trigger asap. Not sure its going to work out but I could care less if Alex Smith comes back or not. I am not sure hes going to have a good season in 2012. The man cannot pass the ball. Our 2011 offense will only take us so far.
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
A 28 year old Alex Smith will be comparable in production to a 36 year old Peyton Manning and will cost less than half the price. And if he backslides, why did we just trade picks to move up for Kaepernick? I thought the whole plan with the front office was that they were not trying to capture lightning in a bottle, but were building for a long, sustained run. Overpaying for Manning seems a little impulsive for a team as solid as the Niners. Manning is overrated at this point in his career. There, I said it.

Then why offer Alex a contract at all? Alex for three years or Manning for three years? A just comparing Alex's production to Mamming's is laughable.

Your response is incomprehensible. At 36 years of age, and after several neck surgeries, Manning is over the hill. At this point in his career he's a marginal upgrade over Alex Smith coming into his prime years, given age and health. Prime v. Prime, Manning is clearly the better player and one of the greats. But Manning was declining before his injury. He certainly looked like no Superman when the Niners confused and pressured him all day in 2010. He is not worth mortgaging the future for and it would be a mistake. This whole story is total media generated hyperbole that Manning and his agent, Condon, are lapping up because it will drive his price throught the stratosphere.

"Smith coming into his prime" going into his what 8th year! lol

"Marginal Upgrade" you know we were 29th in passing last year right?

How was Manning declining exactly?

Didn't he win that game that he looked confused in?

And we're not mortgaging the future, CK ethier learns behind Alex or Manning

Mannings best years statistically were his 7th - 9th year in the league -- based on QB rating and Super Bowl win in 2006. Alex Smith is coming into his 7th season, which corresponds with Manning's prime. Mannings's QB rating in his last healthy season in 2010 was 91.9. Alex Smith's QB rating last year was 90.7. I think Manning's trajectory is downward, which is borne out by a generally declining QB rating since his prime in years 7-9, though still very good numbers. Factor in the age and neck surgeries, you have to expect his production to drop from his prior stats, especially considering the Niners don't have top tier receivers and prefer to run the ball. So, is Manning clutch? Playoff record is 7-10. One SB win, one loss. Game winning drives in playoff appearances - 1. He is consistently good in the regular season, not as good in the playoffs, and his numbers are in decline with age and serious injuries. Juxtapose Alex Smith, at 28, in a system he's comfortable with and a good coach, who has demonstrated an ability to win playoff games and pull out clutch wins throughout the season. If there is an edge to Manning at this point, it is marginal, and certainly not worth an extra $30-40 Million cap hit. Oh, and that winning TD thrown in 2010 was chucked by the running back on a gimmick play after we owned Manning all day.

That argument cant be made because if the QB is good he is gonna throw for a lot yards and TDs and those WRs stats will go up making them seem better than they are.

Its like the chicken and egg argument.

susexcuses
People need to stop taking this personal. Just pick the better player, its not that hard.
Alex has not been dicked over by anyone, he has been paid HUGE $$$ for playing like sh$#. He has had 2 okay seasons, and 5 very bad ones, the 49ers have kissed his a$$ and done everything possible to help him, I know that Nolan kinda lost faith in him but nolan also picked him 1st and made him rich. Alex Smith might end up having a crap season, if that happens and Manning takes Denver to a superbowl, then you will see some crying.

And this proves you know absolutely nothing.
I know more then you. You don't know what you are crying about. Anyone with any smarts about how the NFL works, would understand that the 49ers are much better off today with Manning then Alex Smith. I am tired of people making excuse after excuse for him, he's been paid huge sums of money and he still passes like crap. If the 49ers could get a Manning today they would pull the trigger asap. Not sure its going to work out but I could care less if Alex Smith comes back or not. I am not sure hes going to have a good season in 2012. The man cannot pass the ball. Our 2011 offense will only take us so far.

lol

still failing Jim
susexcuses

Jeff just answer this question

Who is the better QB Alex or Peyton ?

Just a simple answer
There isn't a bigger Smith supporter on this forum than me. I've been behind him 100% since we drafted him. I think he's a very good QB who can do what we need him to do, whatever that may be. I don't think he's been

That being said Manning is a couple standard deviations ahead of Smith. He's going to be a first ballot, consensus Hall-of-Famer in the mold of Joe Montana and Dan Marino. He's one of the greatest ever and if he's healthy again and Harbaugh thinks he can step back into his old self and remain there for a few years there is no reason not to bring him in.

This isn't a slight on Smith, 27 teams in the NFL would be foolish not to replace their starter with Manning is he's healthy.

If we sign Manning Smith will land somewhere. Seattle, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Miami, would all have to be interested in him if he was suddenly looking to sign with someone other than the 49ers.
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Everybody should vote for Alex, cause voting for Peyton might hurt Alex's feelings.

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏ @espn_nfcwest

Question for Tom Condon, who represents both. RT: @CShaw23: @espn_nfcwest What are chances SF misses on Peyton and Smith signs elsewhere?
so what if that happens? I doubt any other team will pay or offer what the 49ers have on the table for Alex Smith. If anything its way to much.

if it happens...we have a Kap starting, is that the better alternative? I wouldn't put it past Pete to offer Alex something to hurt us.

I think Pete is not going to offer Alex Smith the $$$ the 49ers are. And what makes you think Alex Smith would want to go up the Seattle and have to face our defense two times a season? Alex Smiths best bet is to wait and see what happens before he makes a move.

Well what you think and what actually happen are different. What is the best way to cripple that div champs...take the QB away. Why would Alex, because of years of abuse and getting dicked over why not return the favor.

So is losing Manning and Smith worth the risk...because the Hawks become the new favorite to win the Div...and losing to a Smith led Hawks team would be f**king horrible to watch.

Correction: He's had 1 bad season, 3 ok ones in bad situations, 2 injured seasons (with much of his absence being due to Nolan's abuse) and 1 very good season. He's improved every season he was healthy.

your on crack or you are his lover......
the same as Dion Sanders so what! he helped to bring one championship home!
susexcuses

Jeff just answer this question

Who is the better QB Alex or Peyton ?

Just a simple answer

Can anyone answer that if you mean better QB next year? Seriously no one knows how Peyton will hold up next year after his injury and surgery or how he will throw. Or what Smith will do after being in the same offense for the first time in his career.