LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Is the front office hating on Shawnte Spencer?? why not release him already?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
trade him for draft picks
maybe we are waiting to see what happens with carr?
Originally posted by dhp318:
cap space and you dont have to pay him the 4 million he's due

He's due 3.2M and if he gets traded, the other team will pick that up, not us. We're not hurting for cap space, and given the players we'll have to extend the next few years (most notably Bowman) we're not going to come within 3.2M of the cap this offseason, so there's no harm in keeping him on the roster until we find a trading partner.
Now with all the top CBs goen in free agency maybe teams who are still in need of a CB will make a deal with us for Spencer
Baalke is Brilliant! He's going to hold onto Spencer until this mad rush to overpay for defensive backs runs its course, and then he'll trade Spencer to one of the losers.

Brilliant.
good point man....it's not like we must save his salary against the cap right this second anyway....hopefully when the CB market dries up completely some desperate team that got nobody will give us something decent for it.
what's spencer's value? a 4th? a 7th?
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Mar 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM ]
Yup this definitely needed its own thread since it wasnt being discussed or brought up anywhere else

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/164253-front-office-hating-shawnte-spencer-release-him-already/page2/#post19
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Originally posted by LanceQ:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
shawntae spencer not playing in '11 is so weird

Yeah, you're right, from starter to way down on the depth chart.

yea i understand getting outplayed by brown and culliver but getting outplayed by brock
I dont even understand how Brown >> Spencer when the year before he was CLEARLY a better corner. i think it took too long for Spencer to get healthy + No special teams value. Wish he was activated for the playoffs tho. Would have helped when TBrown went down.
[ Edited by Squidp on Mar 14, 2012 at 1:48 PM ]

Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by 9erred:
I also think Perrish Cox is going to be the KR/PR and not be in the starting cb rotation.

we carried 4 active CBs on game day. Spencer was usually inactive so if Cox made the roster it mean that we are going to have 5 active CBs but Cox would play more exclusively on ST.

probably. We kept alll our dbs but Spencer active, Rogers, Brown, Culliver, Brock, Whitner, Goldson, Spillman, Jones, R.Smith and Williams, with Reggie Smith with CB skills.

We could see 10 again active, with the 5th CB this time. Especially if Cox is the return man.
I really liked Spencer. Resign him to a cheaper, team/cap-friendly deal. I want this guy on my team.
Because it is always better to get something than to get nothing. If Baalke can get a draft pick out of Spencer it will be great and give us a few more cards to play in the draft. Wise move in my opinion.
Originally posted by sspiker:
Originally posted by dhp318:
cap space and you dont have to pay him the 4 million he's due

He's due 3.2M and if he gets traded, the other team will pick that up, not us. We're not hurting for cap space, and given the players we'll have to extend the next few years (most notably Bowman) we're not going to come within 3.2M of the cap this offseason, so there's no harm in keeping him on the roster until we find a trading partner.

This. we don't need the cap space until draft time when we select and sign our draft picks.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
we signed cox and brought back rogers....so what is the hold up with spencer? let him go to another team before most of the good paying spots are taken. what is the difference if we release him now or later? i remember reading that spencer changed agents because his agent also represented jim and trent baalke....and they are all good friends...so i hope its nothing personal. he will most likely be released tomorrow....weird situation if he is not.

Spencer has been given permission to seek a trade... he was given permission quite a while back. Why should the 49ers release him when they might get something back in trade?
Share 49ersWebzone