LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

CB Perrish Cox a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by dayday44:
I hear you man but based on the game and stats being in the right position at the right time can warrant you a PD. The one time he got his chance he made it, great. The other times he was at least 3 yards away from Riley Cooper giving him his stats in the beginning. Yes, none of the catches were going to be game changing but seeing how hot and cold teams get, it could have built momentum. Now on your claim of it being better than any of the 8, thats 100% up for interpretation but telling you on stats, i, as well as many others, would rather have multiple PDs and INTs than one pretty one.

Coverage skill and ball tracking are two entirely different things. Stay on topic. All I said is that Culliver is as good at anyone at tracking the ball. I never once mentioned how good he is or isn't in coverage, nor that about Cox.

and that's the hook with cully
Originally posted by Niners99:
You know, Cox was a TERRIBLE nickel corner last year, and I was annoyed when we brought him back.

However...since they moved him to the outside, hes been using his speed to cover the deep ball, and has been making plays this year. Much better. Hes actually a decent CB. Who knew?

Maybe it's Ed Donatell. We all know how we felt about Tramaine Brock week 1 last season. I was hoping that he got pushed off the team. I'm glad I was wrong. Jim Tomsula gets a lot of credit for what he does with the lineman, but Donatell is not far behind.
Culliver has played the Nickel before and did fine. I would be okay with him or Cox -- who played much better later in the year at the nickel -- playing that position.

Ward needs to be the Dime back until he's really got the system down. There is no reason to let him get continually abused when Brock is healthy and we've got Cox playing at such a high level.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Cullys good at tracking the ball... Unless it's boldin he's going up against . It still burns

See I think tracking the ball is his weakness.
4th on the team in tackles. If that means anything.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
#Throwback

No sense in playing Cox at the nickel. The guy is hot where he is. Until he starts screwing up they need to leave him exactly where he's been.

Then again I'm sure our staff will screw it up somehow. They're of the "if it's not broke, try to fix it anyways" mindset. Ie: Stevie is lighting it up out there so let's bench him and bring in Lloyd.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
No sense in playing Cox at the nickel. The guy is hot where he is. Until he starts screwing up they need to leave him exactly where he's been.

Then again I'm sure our staff will screw it up somehow. They're of the "if it's not broke, try to fix it anyways" mindset. Ie: Stevie is lighting it up out there so let's bench him and bring in Lloyd.

Stevie wasn't benched, he was violently ill and took himself out.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFrush:
Your stats weren't factoring in playing time. Don't you think that's important?
Cox has started 12 NFL games. Culliver has started 10. So not only does Culliver have more PD's per game played, he has more per start as well. And if you take out the statistical anomaly that was yesterday's 4 PD performance from Cox it's puts Cox even further behind statistically.

FYI Culliver doesn't have 10 career starts. Pro football reference says he started 6 games in 2012. But Brown and Rogers started all 16 games that season. So it would be 4 starts for Culliver vs 12 starts for Cox which I'm pretty sure puts the PD per start ratio in Cox's favor since Cully only has 2 PD's through 4 career starts.
[ Edited by Hopper on Sep 30, 2014 at 12:57 AM ]
Cox has been getting it done ever since he originally signed with the 49ers.
Extend this guy now at a favorable salary. I think the Niners only signed him for one year? He's proven his value - I thought he did great in the playoffs last year, especially in that Green Bay game covering some tough receivers. He's also versatile in being able to return punts (and maybe kickoffs?). So far, he's been a great story in turning things around after a rough beginning in the league with Denver and those allegations. Extend him for a few more years as he's still young.

Originally posted by Hopper:
FYI Culliver doesn't have 10 career starts. Pro football reference says he started 6 games in 2012. But Brown and Rogers started all 16 games that season. So it would be 4 starts for Culliver vs 12 starts for Cox which I'm pretty sure puts the PD per start ratio in Cox's favor since Cully only has 2 PD's through 4 career starts.

AGAIN, the stats don't matter in this situation.

But what the hell are you talking about? Lets assume what you are saying about him only starting 4 games is right (it isn't). Culliver has 23 PD's, not 2. OK, so he did it in only 4 starts (per you, which is wrong), that would mean he has even more PD's in less playing time that I said, a higher PD per game average, not lower.

Of course your logic and math is all screwed up. Brown and Rogers can have started all 16 games and Culliver still can have started. A defense starts with 11 players on the field and the 49ers under Fangio have a 5th DB (the nickle back, which was usually Rogers) on the field more often than not. Its pretty easy to figure out how he could have started 6 games even though Brown and Rogers started 16 a piece.

As I have to continually repeat myself, the stats don't mean what you think they mean in the first place, but if you want to use them for whatever reason they still say Culliver is just as good (better actually) than Cox in this category. I'm not willing to go as far as the stats and say he's that much better than Cox at tracking the ball, they are both about equals in this area of the game if you actually watch the game, but you want to keep bringing up the numbers so apparently Culliver is better than Cox at this per your method (if you do it right).
Go with the hot hand coach!! go with the hot hand!
Coverage skill and ball tracking are two entirely different things. Stay on topic. All I said is that Culliver is as good at anyone at tracking the ball. I never once mentioned how good he is or isn't in coverage, nor that about Cox.

Disagree. Culliver is terrible at tracking the ball. That's why he gets beat on deep throws quite a bit. He also plays with too much cushion. Cox and Brock are both better.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Culliver played on the outside and Rogers moved to slot in 2012 when they went nickel, so I'd expect Brock/Culliver on the outside and Cox in as slot if they keep him as one of the top 3 CB's (and hopefully they do).
[ Edited by Disp on Sep 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
But what the hell are you talking about? Lets assume what you are saying about him only starting 4 games is right (it isn't). Culliver has 23 PD's, not 2. OK, so he did it in only 4 starts (per you, which is wrong), that would mean he has even more PD's in less playing time that I said, a higher PD per game average, not lower.

Of course your logic and math is all screwed up. Brown and Rogers can have started all 16 games and Culliver still can have started. A defense starts with 11 players on the field and the 49ers under Fangio have a 5th DB (the nickle back, which was usually Rogers) on the field more often than not. Its pretty easy to figure out how he could have started 6 games even though Brown and Rogers started 16 a piece.

There is nothing to assume. In 2012 (besides against Green bay) we started off every game in our 34 base defense and Brown and Rogers were the starters. Now did we use more nickel more than our base 34 defense? of course, but Cully was still our third corner that year. You brought up the PD per start ratio and you simply got it wrong ironically because you were stat watching off profootball reference. This is Cully's first year as a starter so you should only be looking at the PD's this season if you're talking about the PD per start ratio.
Share 49ersWebzone