LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

CB Perrish Cox a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by teylo31:
I think one of the best plays he made today is the play he didnt make. In the days of fantasy football and stats and highlight films and huge contracts he backed off of Betheas INT so they wouldnt collide and allowed the pick. So many times you see both defenders trying to get the ball and it falling to the ground

Yes, Goldson would have knocked Bethea out of the game!
Finally dude was able to make em stick em'
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Yes, Goldson would have knocked Bethea out of the game!

sad lol, cost us sb probably making a young inexperienced brock come into the game for t brown. He did it to others too.
Loved this guy since we brought him back last year. I said this in the game day thread but I thought it was stupid to bench Cox when he was on for Carlos Rogers coming back from an injury. Had Cox played that NFCCG may have ended differently. Rogers was/is garbage.

This guy has had so many close call interceptions. Had he reeled them all in he'd be looking like an all star right now.

He's playing better than culliver imo. Culliver doesn't allow much YAC but Cox doesn't allow the catch in the first place . I remember after last game I read a stat that QBs throwing his way had something like a 40ish rating when throwing his way. I wonder what it is after today.
[ Edited by Dsoto87 on Sep 28, 2014 at 7:35 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Cox tracks the football in the air much better than Cully. Really it's not even close.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Cox tracks the football in the air much better than Cully. Really it's not even close.

I wonder if the 49ers will intentionally low ball Cully this season for a contract extension. The combination of Cox, Brock, Ward, and Johnson, along with some of the IR/PUP players may make Baalke think about using that money in a different way.

Brilliant game by Cox today.
Originally posted by GEEK:

I wonder if the 49ers will intentionally low ball Cully this season for a contract extension. The combination of Cox, Brock, Ward, and Johnson, along with some of the IR/PUP players may make Baalke think about using that money in a different way.

maybe just extend Cox on the cheap real quick and wait until the off season 2 see if resigning Cully is worth it. IMO, when Brock comes back, we need to start him and Cox, utilize Culliver in the slot against bigger WRs and Ward against smaller guys, this would also allow us to further develop Ward as a safety and make him the #3 guy in case one of our starters get hurt, ensuring that we never see Dahl on D again.
Love me some Cox!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:

maybe just extend Cox on the cheap real quick and wait until the off season 2 see if resigning Cully is worth it. IMO, when Brock comes back, we need to start him and Cox, utilize Culliver in the slot against bigger WRs and Ward against smaller guys, this would also allow us to further develop Ward as a safety and make him the #3 guy in case one of our starters get hurt, ensuring that we never see Dahl on D again.

I'm aligned to that.
You know, Cox was a TERRIBLE nickel corner last year, and I was annoyed when we brought him back.

However...since they moved him to the outside, hes been using his speed to cover the deep ball, and has been making plays this year. Much better. Hes actually a decent CB. Who knew?

Originally posted by eonblue:
I've been in Coxs corner since last season. I didn't want to cut Morris but Cox is one of the best all around corner we have. He rarely makes a mistake, he's great in run support, and now his pass coverage is finally coming together. He's a great NB so when Brock comes back I hope Fangio makes him the #3.

I liked Cox earlier in the season last year, but it didn't seem like he had pulled it together yet. And then they brought him back for the playoff game against Green Bay and he showed just how physically and mentally tough he is - I mean to be called back and tossed into a huge playoff game in really frigid conditions on the road against Aaron Rodgers, it takes a lot of guts, discipline and savvy to play as well and he did. Last year it seemed like he understood the defense well, but it was taking him a little bit of time to read the play as it developed. This year, he seems to be reading the play quicker and is responding a little bit faster. I think it was against Dallas that he had an interception because he smartly left his coverage area where he understood he wasn't needed and jumped the pass.

Cox is not a lockdown corner, though, as some have been saying (maybe just some post-game enthusiasm). Sometimes he's been lucky - he gets beat deep on occasion but the quarterback doesn't throw an accurate pass - that's not knock on him, that happens to most cornerbacks. He bites too hard on fakes more than a shutdown corner would. I think he is a good cornerback and maybe he is on the cusp of being really good. I'm glad he's come along so well. No matter how things go from here, it's always good for the team to have as many good, competent cornerbacks as they can.

It will be interesting to see how things get shuffled when Brock gets back. Ward has been struggling - which isn't surprising because he is a rookie that missed a chunk of training camp - so I can see moving Cox to nickleback. But it may be the Fangio thinks that it's better to leave Ward in to "mature". I'm with those that think Cox has been playing better than Culliver, so I wouldn't be surprised if Fangio has Cox take over Culliver's spot when Brock returns.
Originally posted by matt49er:

I'm aligned to that.

cully in the slot sceams of disaster, more then of the other CB's besides maybe ward he needs the benefit of using the sideline to squeeze routes. Asking him to operate in too much space is just asking for charles dimery (sp) moments
Cully just looks like he lost a step fron the injury. You can't afford to lose a step as a corner in this league, hoping as the season goes by it comes back. Cox though is ballin' right now, he's severely underrated probably because of his height.
Originally posted by 49erphan:
Originally posted by eonblue:
I've been in Coxs corner since last season. I didn't want to cut Morris but Cox is one of the best all around corner we have. He rarely makes a mistake, he's great in run support, and now his pass coverage is finally coming together. He's a great NB so when Brock comes back I hope Fangio makes him the #3.

I liked Cox earlier in the season last year, but it didn't seem like he had pulled it together yet. And then they brought him back for the playoff game against Green Bay and he showed just how physically and mentally tough he is - I mean to be called back and tossed into a huge playoff game in really frigid conditions on the road against Aaron Rodgers, it takes a lot of guts, discipline and savvy to play as well and he did. Last year it seemed like he understood the defense well, but it was taking him a little bit of time to read the play as it developed. This year, he seems to be reading the play quicker and is responding a little bit faster. I think it was against Dallas that he had an interception because he smartly left his coverage area where he understood he wasn't needed and jumped the pass.

Cox is not a lockdown corner, though, as some have been saying (maybe just some post-game enthusiasm). Sometimes he's been lucky - he gets beat deep on occasion but the quarterback doesn't throw an accurate pass - that's not knock on him, that happens to most cornerbacks. He bites too hard on fakes more than a shutdown corner would. I think he is a good cornerback and maybe he is on the cusp of being really good. I'm glad he's come along so well. No matter how things go from here, it's always good for the team to have as many good, competent cornerbacks as they can.

It will be interesting to see how things get shuffled when Brock gets back. Ward has been struggling - which isn't surprising because he is a rookie that missed a chunk of training camp - so I can see moving Cox to nickleback. But it may be the Fangio thinks that it's better to leave Ward in to "mature". I'm with those that think Cox has been playing better than Culliver, so I wouldn't be surprised if Fangio has Cox take over Culliver's spot when Brock returns.

Not sure which Cox you're watching maybe Derek Cox? But Perrish has been right there with his receiver every time he's had to cover a deep pass. In other words Perrish Cox is the best deep cover corner the 49ers have, I think you need to re-watch the games.

Perrish Cox needs to start over Culliver NO DOUBT!!!
Cox was big today.
Share 49ersWebzone