There are 311 users in the forums

CB Perrish Cox a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by cciowa:
the guy who never gets respect but is always more than solid for us in many areas,, good job cox

+1

+2. That light came on after he got cut last year and he's been playing outstanding for us ever since. Proud of him! Another great find by Baalke and great development by our coaches. He actually made Morris expendable b/c they both play the slot and outside CB and on ST's (return and coverage).

Completely agree. I'm looking forward to seeing him contribute this year as he's further along in his career now, has improved, and really is familiar with the Niners' D scheme. On another note, when you have a moment check my post just now in the Jimmie Ward thread...any concerns on your part if they do select him to be a gunner on punt coverage?
no,, the more experience he gets anywhere is good for him and us. this will also take eric reid off the special teams i would think?

That's a great point - if having Ward out there as a gunner means taking Reid off of that coverage unit, I'm then all for it. I know we need talent on ST, but I've never been a fan of having too many starting D or O players on ST, especially the top starting players.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
That's a great point - if having Ward out there as a gunner means taking Reid off of that coverage unit, I'm then all for it. I know we need talent on ST, but I've never been a fan of having too many starting D or O players on ST, especially the top starting players.

then you thrown in those concussions eric had, yes get him off of special teams, there are some star players like eric and bowman who have no beeswax on special teams
Is it apparent to anyone else how amazing Cox has been this year?! Holy smokes! Today against the eagles he had 4 passes defended and an interception. Amazing, but all year he has been playing the ball every time they go in his direction and is often in a better position to catch the ball then the receiver time and time again.

Do I remember correctly that he was released by the 49ers last year and then brought back late in the season. That he was something like 4th or 5th on the depth chart? Now starting and playing awesome, hats off to Perrish Cox!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
There is no way you can send cox to the bench when Brock returns.
[ Edited by Hopper on Sep 28, 2014 at 5:28 PM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:
There is no way you can send cox to the bench when Brock returns.

Yea Cox is outplaying Cully.
Been dang near lock down with about 10 dropped/near picks and 2 actual picks. He might have taken Culliver's job and his future extension. Maybe make Culliver the slot corner when Brock gets back but either way glad it won't be Ward. He just wasn't ready yet. He needs to add some bulk and to be fair we put him in some s**t situations covering Marshall since we don't switch our cbs around (left, right, slot, dont follow around wrs)
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Been dang near lock down with about 10 dropped/near picks and 2 actual picks. He might have taken Culliver's job and his future extension. Maybe make Culliver the slot corner when Brock gets back but either way glad it won't be Ward. He just wasn't ready yet. He needs to add some bulk and to be fair we put him in some s**t situations covering Marshall since we don't switch our cbs around (left, right, slot, dont follow around wrs)

I was going to suggest this. Right now, it looks like Cox gets that extension Culliver thought he would get. Culliver might go back to being 3rd CB when Brock returns, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
He played an awesome game today. Very aggressive out there
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

I was going to suggest this. Right now, it looks like Cox gets that extension Culliver thought he would get. Culliver might go back to being 3rd CB when Brock returns, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
agree

culliver in the slot will be great since teams are sending their big wr's to the slot. FINALLY held onto the catches today

he could have about 7 interceptions already
Cox plays the slot. Cully played well today...give him a chance as he's just getting back into football shape and had a hell of a hit in the fumble and good coverage in the EZ. IMHO, Fangio isn't using him to his best strength but whatever...BTW, is Ward ever NOT in trail-mode? I like the kid but he's not ready or the scheme/coaching is effing him up big time!

He balled! Need to extend him
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Sep 28, 2014 at 5:50 PM ]

I told folks we'd have a ton more INT's and fumbles (TO's) with this group but there would be quite a few mental errors as they gel as a unit. Really, if you take Ward out of the mix (rookie abused), the secondary has played well on the edges despite mutiple personnel AND a key injury to our best CB (Brock). Imagine this group with Cox, Brock, Cook, Cully, Ward, Bethea and Reid once they start to gel and gain confidence and once Fangio plays to their strengths (i.e. SOME PRESS).
If Brock comes back would like to see Cox start over Culliver
Perrish, I just WANT TO SHAKE YOUR HAND FOR JUSTIFYING MY TRUST & FAITH IN YOU!!! SO Glad you are starting and PRODUCING BIG TIME!!!
Ward wasn't that bad besides those 2-3 tds to marshall but thats fangios fault we dont switch our cbs so marshall went to the slot and its just not close to being fair one of best wrs in the game who is 30 pounds bigger and 5 inches taller vs an inexperienced small rookie. but yeah I like the group and minus those few miscommunications, putting ward on marshall and the lack of pass rush/blitz we have done a nice job holding down other teams passing. Foles had like 100 yards up until that last drive ended up with 200 and 2 ints with 0 tds. Romo did some damage in the 2nd half as we coasted, Stanton I think those few tds came on miscommunication. We played better than it looks. Probably dropped 5 ints (cox probably that many alone), we had a missed fumble recovery by lynch against chicago that really changed the game. I think we shut down Cutler until the 2nd half too. So it looks a lot worse than it is for our secondary, like you NCommand I actually like the group a lot and thats without Acker/Reaser who could be that late round fine.
Share 49ersWebzone