LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

CB Perrish Cox a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by jordanroberts88:
Cox apparently picked Kap off twice today. It's going to be hard deciding between him and Morris when they make the final cuts.

They will keep both esp. since both are ST aces.
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
DeUh... We answered or own question. Cox is playing both slot and outside and having success at both. That's great news!

That's awesome. I expect Cox to have a really good pre-season, just like last year. His chances of making the team are pretty good, especially after Eric Wright decided to retire. We'll see if this kid Acker can give him a run for his money.

Yes !

Same goes for Morris. Both had a very strong day of practice yesterday. Versatility goes a long way on a roster like this.

To make room, I'm afraid it's to a couple or all of the following (Oz, Dahl, Ventrone and Costanzo)

Very likely...even Spillman. At some point, you have to have real backup S's although Ward can also play that role as well (so can D. Johnson in a pinch)...Moody?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Very likely...even Spillman. At some point, you have to have real backup S's although Ward can also play that role as well (so can D. Johnson in a pinch)...Moody?

That's right huh (Moody)?

I think he's cemented himself (safety/LB plus ST)... he's still progressing as well
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
The guy has been balling and is almost certain to make the team. I actually like him ahead of some of the other backups.
That's right huh (Moody)?

I think he's cemented himself (safety/LB plus ST)... he's still progressing as well

I actually like Moody in coverage. He appears to be better then Wilhoite but then again he's going up against the 1st team and Moody is getting backups. Still Moody is usually with his guy step for step. Run defense is poor though. Can't shed a block to save his life.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
I actually like Moody in coverage. He appears to be better then Wilhoite but then again he's going up against the 1st team and Moody is getting backups. Still Moody is usually with his guy step for step. Run defense is poor though. Can't shed a block to save his life.

Haha yeah unfortunately.... that part needs improvement, but still, he's not horrible. Switching from a college safety to an NFL linebacker is a pretty big leap, hopefully he can get better at that.

Haha yeah unfortunately.... that part needs improvement, but still, he's not horrible. Switching from a college safety to an NFL linebacker is a pretty big leap, hopefully he can get better at that.

I certainly have him making the 53.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

I certainly have him making the 53.

I feel u... Moody is a solid back up and still hasn't even peaked, plus good ST play helps his cause.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
As many I expect to see a lot more press coverage from our secondary this season, which is another reason I think that Cox will make the 53 this year and might surprise some people on here.

A few scouting reports:

Man Coverage: Should flourish as a press cover corner at the next level. Smooth hip transition from backpedal. Best in press coverage, using his length and size to neutralize the receiver, but could be more consistent getting his hands on jersey at the line. Keeps contact with receiver downfield to prevent separation. Has height and vertical leap to win jump balls. Often forces quarterback to look in another direction. Will lose his balance and footing on double moves. Likes to be physical downfield and must be more disciplined in this area.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1133568

Strengths Cox has ideal height and bulk. Explosive with very good top-end speed and lateral agility. Possesses great ups and soft hands which makes him a ball-hawk in the secondary. Effective in press coverage and strong enough to support the run. Talented return man who scores touchdowns.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/perrish-cox?id=494265

Man Coverage: Cox is excellent as a press man cornerback. He has the strength at the line to slow down a receiver and change the timing of routes. Sticks to an opponent's hip all the way down field.
http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/18/1380188/perrish-cox-nfl-draft-scouting

Always liked Cox, dude is fiery and always bouncing all over the place, he gets in and out fast......

What's not to like about that.....???
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the guy who never gets respect but is always more than solid for us in many areas,, good job cox

Originally posted by cciowa:
the guy who never gets respect but is always more than solid for us in many areas,, good job cox

+1
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

+1

+2. That light came on after he got cut last year and he's been playing outstanding for us ever since. Proud of him! Another great find by Baalke and great development by our coaches. He actually made Morris expendable b/c they both play the slot and outside CB and on ST's (return and coverage).

+1

+2. That light came on after he got cut last year and he's been playing outstanding for us ever since. Proud of him! Another great find by Baalke and great development by our coaches. He actually made Morris expendable b/c they both play the slot and outside CB and on ST's (return and coverage).

Completely agree. I'm looking forward to seeing him contribute this year as he's further along in his career now, has improved, and really is familiar with the Niners' D scheme. On another note, when you have a moment check my post just now in the Jimmie Ward thread...any concerns on your part if they do select him to be a gunner on punt coverage?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

if i recall he came to us with alot of baggage but is a really good news story. i know that is not the stuff that gets the headlines nowadays with the " if it bleeds it leads" montra . am glad to see the team does have a few good vets on special teams from last year they kept to teach the kids the ropes
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

+1

Completely agree. I'm looking forward to seeing him contribute this year as he's further along in his career now, has improved, and really is familiar with the Niners' D scheme. On another note, when you have a moment check my post just now in the Jimmie Ward thread...any concerns on your part if they do select him to be a gunner on punt coverage?
no,, the more experience he gets anywhere is good for him and us. this will also take eric reid off the special teams i would think?
Share 49ersWebzone