There are 208 users in the forums

CB Perrish Cox a Niner

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Bye Chris Cook.

lol no

LOL. Trying to figure out the current lineup (for now)

Brock (Cook) & Culliver (Wright) & Cox/Morris

What would be the lineup in a nickle/dime?

I honestly dont think there is a line up right now...other than Brock I dont think we have any but in as a stater in anything but pencil. They are going to take what they have here along with a blue chip draft pick and let them fight it out in camp. Cully as hurt, Cox, Cook and Wright are all reclaimation projects...anyone of them could turn into something good or fall by the wayside before the start of the regular season and Morris is a developmental player. There is surely talent there, but we are adding as many bodies as we can and letting it sort itself out.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Should've been the guy playing the nickel not freakish Rogers, still pissese off till this day. Held Rodgers to a career low in passing yds, newton an the panthers o didn't do s**t and we go back to Rogers and look what happens smfh

one thing that this regime does that kind of bugs me is how sometimes certain veterans are given more playing time when its obvious that the younger guy behind him is just as good and maybe even better. its the main difference right now between us and seattle.
Still this constant act that Carlos was some how a bad player or that he wasnt a good puck up for us is stupid. He outlived his contract and went downhill due to age sure....but he was hardly a bad pickup when we got him and was still a usefull peice to have on your roster even up through last year.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Should've been the guy playing the nickel not freakish Rogers, still pissese off till this day. Held Rodgers to a career low in passing yds, newton an the panthers o didn't do s**t and we go back to Rogers and look what happens smfh

one thing that this regime does that kind of bugs me is how sometimes certain veterans are given more playing time when its obvious that the younger guy behind him is just as good and maybe even better. its the main difference right now between us and seattle.
Still this constant act that Carlos was some how a bad player or that he wasnt a good puck up for us is stupid. He outlived his contract and went downhill due to age sure....but he was hardly a bad pickup when we got him and was still a usefull peice to have on your roster even up through last year.

Rogers was good in 2011 and solid in 2012. He was the weak link in 2013, and the highest paid in our secondary. He probably would have been cut if Culliver didn't tear his ACL. They had already asked him to take a pay cut! He is old and slow. I am glad he is getting cut on 6/1. Cox was the better CB last season, I still don't understand why Rogers was playing in the NFCC over Cox. Seattle knew he was our weakest CB!
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Bye Chris Cook.

lol no

LOL. Trying to figure out the current lineup (for now)

Brock (Cook) & Culliver (Wright) & Cox/Morris

What would be the lineup in a nickle/dime?

I honestly dont think there is a line up right now...other than Brock I dont think we have any but in as a stater in anything but pencil. They are going to take what they have here along with a blue chip draft pick and let them fight it out in camp. Cully as hurt, Cox, Cook and Wright are all reclaimation projects...anyone of them could turn into something good or fall by the wayside before the start of the regular season and Morris is a developmental player. There is surely talent there, but we are adding as many bodies as we can and letting it sort itself out.

You're absolutely correct. I also don't think Baalke is done either following his off season pattern.

But to start right now (i.e. unofficial depth chart) would it look like this:

Brock (Cook) --- Reid (Spillman) --- Bethea (Dahl) --- Culliver (Wright)
Extras: Cox/Morris.

• In a conventional defensive alignment, 4 defensive backs (two corners, free safety, strong safety) are on the field.
  • In a "nickel" package, an extra defensive back plays (usually another corner), bringing the total to 5.
  • In a "dime" package, two extra defensive backs play (either two corners, or, less commonly, a corner and a third safety), bringing the total to 6.
  • It is rare, but not unheard of for 7 defensive backs to be in the field in "prevent" formation to defend against a "hail mary" pass. In this case, often wide receivers are sometimes instead of true defensive backs because they are often taller
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 25, 2014 at 12:14 PM ]
Cox is a good addition to be brought back, and I believe he is the top backup on this team right now. He played great when given a chance in the playoffs. Until the draft, I see him at #3. Than Wright, Morris, and Cook.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Cox is a decent player but not starter material by any means. Our CB situation is a bit alarming, hopefully we can get some players in the draft that are ready to play day one.
Originally posted by susweel:
Cox is a decent player but not starter material by any means. Our CB situation is a bit alarming, hopefully we can get some players in the draft that are ready to play day one.

Didn't Brock beat out both Rogers and Brown as a starter? And it's fair to say Cox s/h started over Rogers in the NFCCG, right? And Wright would have started over both had he not been injured. And Cully was in line to start two years ago when Brown and Rogers were playing well. So why do people feel we took a step back in the secondary esp. when most feel Bethea will be a upgrade or at least, an equal player to Whitner and Reid hits his second year and should be able to play faster?
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 25, 2014 at 1:44 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Didn't Brock beat out both Rogers and Brown as a starter? And it's fair to say Cox s/h started over Rogers in the NFCCG, right? And Cully was in line to start two years ago when Brown and Rogers were playing well. So why do people feel we took a step back in the secondary esp. when most feel Bethea will be a upgrade or at least, an equal player to Whitner and Reid hits his second year and should be able to play faster?

Brock actually didnt beat out anyone, he was actually beat out Nambi in TC. He got his chance because of injury, he's an okay player but I wouldnt want him matching up against #1 WRs in the league.

Didn't Brock beat out both Rogers and Brown as a starter? And it's fair to say Cox s/h started over Rogers in the NFCCG, right? And Cully was in line to start two years ago when Brown and Rogers were playing well. So why do people feel we took a step back in the secondary esp. when most feel Bethea will be a upgrade or at least, an equal player to Whitner and Reid hits his second year and should be able to play faster?

Brock actually didnt beat out anyone, he was actually beat out Nambi in TC. He got his chance because of injury, he's an okay player but I wouldnt want him matching up against #1 WRs in the league.

I wasn't calling you out specifically sus.

But to your point, Brock got an opportunity to start d/t injury but clearly kept his #1 starting CB job even when both Brown and Rogers came back, correct?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

But to your point, Brock got an opportunity to start d/t injury but clearly kept his #1 starting CB job even when both Brown and Rogers came back, correct?

Yes he did, you know the "go with the hot hand rule" lol

okay player? did you watch any games this year, he was playing at a #1 CB skill level.

Which they obviously disregarded immediately in favor of Rogers over Cox in the NFCCG. Arrggggg!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Which they obviously disregarded immediately in favor of Rogers over Cox in the NFCCG. Arrggggg!

dont remind me
dont remind me

Sorry dude...we share the same pain!

Brock graded out as a top 10 corner by Pro Football Focus. He absolutely is a #1 CB and the best thing is he is going to get alot better.
Share 49ersWebzone