There are 101 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Looks like the 49ers have added cap space of $1.6m

Originally posted by Marvin49:
...and now that I think about it, the Redskins were on the trail of Vincent Jackson.

Then again, they were looking to sign him and they have probably known for some time that this was gonna happen. They are still WELL under the cap even after the hit.

Yeah but they went from having a load of money to spend......to having less than 20 million which will really leave them strapped, especially next year. As far as the Cowboys go.....all I can do is laugh.
Dan Synder is an idiot!
Reading some of the Skin and Cowboy forums. Their fans have a good point. All contracts are approved by the NFL. So how can they come back now and say nope, you guys cheated. I don't think this penalty is going to stick. Seems fishy to me.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Reading some of the Skin and Cowboy forums. Their fans have a good point. All contracts are approved by the NFL. So how can they come back now and say nope, you guys cheated. I don't think this penalty is going to stick. Seems fishy to me.

Yeah, that does seem kind of fishy. I'd be pissed if something like that happened to the 49ers.

But if the Cowboys or the Redskins did do some kind of front loaded contracts throughout the organization, I doubt the league is going to thoroughly go over the hundreds, maybe thousands, of contracts signed each season. They probably get the just and a good understanding, perhaps it could fly under the radar.

Anywho, I could care less. I like seeing the Cowboys suffer. This won't affect the Redskins too much, seeing as they traded away all of their picks anyway.

The league could not stop it because of the cba. It was an uncapped year so teams could do whatever they wanted. The NFL warned teams that the front loaded contract extensions better not be a way to get around the future salary cap if there was going to be one. Owners voted unanimously for a salary cap. So they knew what they were getting themselves into.
Originally posted by MontanaSBGod:
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Reply RetweetedRetweet Delete FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details Cowboys lose $10 million in cap space, Redskins lose $36 million in space. Can split it over 2012 and 2013 any way they want. More at ESPN.

Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter Reply RetweetedRetweet Delete FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details All that money goes to 28 other teams -- $1.6 million each -- except for Saints and Raiders, who don't get any but don't lose any.

According to Adam Scheffer.

How can you lose $36 million in cap space? What the hell?.....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
How can you lose $36 million in cap space? What the hell?.....

Since the Cowboys only got 10 I am assuming that is the amount they dumped in the non cap year despite repeatedly being warned not to do so. Or maybe they dumped a bit under that and the NFL put the rest as a punishment. And the amounts can be spread out over 2 years.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 13, 2012 at 1:46 AM ]
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

Yeah, that does seem kind of fishy. I'd be pissed if something like that happened to the 49ers.

But if the Cowboys or the Redskins did do some kind of front loaded contracts throughout the organization, I doubt the league is going to thoroughly go over the hundreds, maybe thousands, of contracts signed each season. They probably get the just and a good understanding, perhaps it could fly under the radar.

Anywho, I could care less. I like seeing the Cowboys suffer. This won't affect the Redskins too much, seeing as they traded away all of their picks anyway.

Yeah to be honest I don't really think this was fair. Those teams signed players to contracts that were approved by the NFL and played by the rules. Yeah they did it to get around a future salary cap, but there was no salary floor and teams like the Bengals and Bucs were extremely cheap during that time, should they be forced to get a penalty because they used having no salary floor as an excuse to hoard money while there's no salary floor. I know the NFLPA approved this penalty also, but I don't see how it sticks. I think the Cowboys and Skins are going to challenge this.
49ers turn Free Cap room into Randy Moss :)
With all the great deals we've already made in FA (signing our own guys + Cox & Moss) we must be sitting pretty in cap space? Do we go after at least one big time name?
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 13, 2012 at 7:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Will all the great deals we've already made in FA (signing our own guys + Cox & Moss) we must be sitting pretty in cap space? Do we go after at least one big time name?

nawww we resign Goldson, Bowman, draft a WR, draft a Justin Smith type youngster to learn from the cowboy. All the while saving the money for the year Tolzien demands a multi million dollar contract for taking us to bowl number 6 lol!!
Any idea what our cap space looks like after Rogers and assuming a 8M/3yr deal for Alex Smith?
Originally posted by Ajanke:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Will all the great deals we've already made in FA (signing our own guys + Cox & Moss) we must be sitting pretty in cap space? Do we go after at least one big time name?

nawww we resign Goldson, Bowman, draft a WR, draft a Justin Smith type youngster to learn from the cowboy. All the while saving the money for the year Tolzien demands a multi million dollar contract for taking us to bowl number 6 lol!!
I agree. I would love to see us extend Goldson and Bowman with the extra cash.
Originally posted by Fricker:
49ers turn Free Cap room into Randy Moss :)

Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home