There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If Kaepernick is going to be the long-term answer at QB anyway, why keep Smith?

  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
Originally posted by lamontb:
Good points. After Peyton Smith is the best free agent qb on the market. Just seems like Flynn has the hot name so somebody will overpay for him. It sounds good that we all think no other team is interested in Smith but in reality that's probably not true.

And let's be real Smith and Condon have accommodated the Niners salary wise as Smith's previous play wasn't up to par. He took a pay cut to his original deal and took a pretty cheap deal to stay with the team for this year. So why wouldn't they both expect a much better deal based on this year's performance? they keep saying they want me here and that they aren't interested in Peyton. Well if that's the case lock him up long term with a fair market value contract. Most seem to think he's not worth more than 8 million a year. I really don't think so either, but if that what the market dictates then you gotta pay to play. But it will interesting to see what the team is really offering b/c that really tells you a lot.

So I'm wondering if the front office believes that Smith would rather choose to come back to SF for 8 million a year vs taking 10 million from another team.

Then again we all could be wrong about these figures.

Yep, just like what is going on with Rogers, the FO is playing a calculated game of chicken with Alex right now. It'll be very interesting if Alex doesn't get a new deal done with us the week after the Manning drama goes away. I dont like whats going on, sure Alex/Condon could be asking for some astronomical # but I do agree that he should've have to take another home town discount to stay with the team, hes that enough already. I'd like to see us take care of all of our own in as best a manner as possible.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
You are a guy who reassures webzone fans that CK7 is a better prospect to win than Alex and most other options. Any and every CK7 thread, You are on every single one of them. Knocking him and trying to convince yourself that he's a bust. Hahaha obviously you have some high levels of infatuation with Kaps. Why get on his threads? You keep telling people he's no good, they actually wanted Dalton, he needs 3more years. Well guess what? His college stats speak exceptional! Dalton never was there guy, Never! Watch the espn and NFL network draft on youtube. Also watch the press confernace after they drafted Colin. JH personnaly went to Nevada and had a private work out with the kid. The 49ers didn't trade up with Denver until Cincy took Ginger Dalton, Ok! Baalke and Harbaugh are in Love with the kid. You keep mentioning Dalton if they wanted Andy they would have got him! The 49ers never said Aldon was there man the whole time. But they said that about CK7! So you have to believe there word, pal! If CK7 is no good than don't get on his threads anymore, why waist your time? If you continue to get on CK7 threads then we all know he is a threat to be something great

I haven't said anything about Kaepernick, I have only said that I have faith in the coaching staff but that I personally have an opinion that just cause we drafted a QB doesn't make him our QB of the future. dude your being irrational and only seeing what you want to see, its pointless to attempt to convince you otherwise. have a nice day.
Kap and Tolzien should be able to easliy apply their skill sets to the offensive system, another year of fine tuning will only strengthen our depth at QB, you can never have enough good QB's on the roster to be prepared for a full NFL season, I am curious to see which QB Harbaugh will bring in for traning camp competition, I wouldnt be surprised if we used a 5th round pick on another gunslinger for Harbaugh to groom
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Kap and Tolzien should be able to easliy apply their skill sets to the offensive system, another year of fine tuning will only strengthen our depth at QB, you can never have enough good QB's on the roster to be prepared for a full NFL season, I am curious to see which QB Harbaugh will bring in for traning camp competition, I wouldnt be surprised if we used a 5th round pick on another gunslinger for Harbaugh to groom

Darren Thomas if he goes undrafted - lol a less physically gifted Josh Johnson. Thats who gets my vote for training camp competition for Tolzien.
Seriously think that we don't want to sign any FA QB longterm primarily because they like what they see in our younger QB's.
Only time will tell if Kaepernick has a real future in the NFL...in the meantime, Alex is Harbaugh's guy and I'm fine with that. Upgrade RG, improve the receiving corps and watch his numbers jump. Throw in a good RB, too...I'm hoping for Doug Martin. Enough with the Manning, kaepernick and other QB talk...what Coach wants, Coach will get, it's that simple.
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
Originally posted by sfout:
I didn't read the 4th option all the way. That one suggests him starting in 2012, the other 3 say 2013. Yes I agree, history of 2nd round QBs is not good and if we want to give Kaep a fair shot then he needs at least 2 maybe 3 years to acclimate.

You are a guy who reassures webzone fans that CK7 is a better prospect to win than Alex and most other options. Any and every CK7 thread, You are on every single one of them. Knocking him and trying to convince yourself that he's a bust. Hahaha obviously you have some high levels of infatuation with Kaps. Why get on his threads? You keep telling people he's no good, they actually wanted Dalton, he needs 3more years. Well guess what? His college stats speak exceptional! Dalton never was there guy, Never! Watch the espn and NFL network draft on youtube. Also watch the press confernace after they drafted Colin. JH personnaly went to Nevada and had a private work out with the kid. The 49ers didn't trade up with Denver until Cincy took Ginger Dalton, Ok! Baalke and Harbaugh are in Love with the kid. You keep mentioning Dalton if they wanted Andy they would have got him! The 49ers never said Aldon was there man the whole time. But they said that about CK7! So you have to believe there word, pal! If CK7 is no good than don't get on his threads anymore, why waist your time? If you continue to get on CK7 threads then we all know he is a threat to be something great

Harbaugh also attended Andy Dalton's pro day workout and had him come in for a private workout. So obviously they were interested in him also.

http://dallas.sbnation.com/tcu-horned-frogs/2011/3/13/2048114/andy-dalton-has-excellent-pro-day-cowboys-patriots-want-private
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
Originally posted by sfout:
I didn't read the 4th option all the way. That one suggests him starting in 2012, the other 3 say 2013. Yes I agree, history of 2nd round QBs is not good and if we want to give Kaep a fair shot then he needs at least 2 maybe 3 years to acclimate.

You are a guy who reassures webzone fans that CK7 is a better prospect to win than Alex and most other options. Any and every CK7 thread, You are on every single one of them. Knocking him and trying to convince yourself that he's a bust. Hahaha obviously you have some high levels of infatuation with Kaps. Why get on his threads? You keep telling people he's no good, they actually wanted Dalton, he needs 3more years. Well guess what? His college stats speak exceptional! Dalton never was there guy, Never! Watch the espn and NFL network draft on youtube. Also watch the press confernace after they drafted Colin. JH personnaly went to Nevada and had a private work out with the kid. The 49ers didn't trade up with Denver until Cincy took Ginger Dalton, Ok! Baalke and Harbaugh are in Love with the kid. You keep mentioning Dalton if they wanted Andy they would have got him! The 49ers never said Aldon was there man the whole time. But they said that about CK7! So you have to believe there word, pal! If CK7 is no good than don't get on his threads anymore, why waist your time? If you continue to get on CK7 threads then we all know he is a threat to be something great

Harbaugh also attended Andy Dalton's pro day workout and had him come in for a private workout. So obviously they were interested in him also.

http://dallas.sbnation.com/tcu-horned-frogs/2011/3/13/2048114/andy-dalton-has-excellent-pro-day-cowboys-patriots-want-private

thank you sir. He probably worked our every QB in the draft....lol.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,399
Anyone want to bet a nickel, Smith signs this weekend?
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM ]
There was an article this week by one of the Bay area writters, about the agency for PM and AS. they are one and the same. Part of their thinking is that the agency's policy is not to steer the FA QB to a team that already has a QB and that QB is with that said agency (CCA or was it CAA-I think). As this would mean they would have less money if that QB gets displaced (especially if it a starter). That is one of many good reasons the niners will not go after PM as CCA may try either high ball us to make up for the lost in income. Also, it would screw up the cap balance. Not to mention Peyton is not like Alex in that does what is asked of him, JH will have less control of managing Manning. Remember PM had free reign on offense. The other reason, as people mentioned, one good hit and adios. Alex at least is a little more nimble, although he doesn't use it to his advantage as much as he should or in the correct way.

CK should sit at least one more year. However, a lot of people don't want to regress so they back Alex, but history in all things, if you want to realize bold ambitions (in this case the SB), you have to take what others consider chances. Kaep is not going to get better if not given playing time. No matter how much you practice, you won't be able to know or improve unless you get in the ring and fight. With it comes growing pains, it is called take one step back to go two steps foward. Yes I know Alex helped us almost get there if it were not for a mistake by the quassi rookie KW-but that was coaching mistake in my view. However, look at Bledsoe and Brady, Farve and Rodgers, Montana and Young. They all stepped in but had growing pains their first seasons. Some because by decision others because they had no choice. Plus, I'd like to see if being this experience and also getting to play in the same offense with the same OC, can AS show us he is more than a manager (watch as all the AS die hard supporters now come out and say he is not a manager .).

Also, give AS a 3 year deal with incentives and if next year and maybe the year after that he shows he is more, then they can give him an extension. However, if CCA wants to bleed us for 10 mill or more a year, let him walk. Unless Alex is willing to give us the money back (which he did once) if he fails to live up to expectations.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,007
Originally posted by Joecool:
Seriously think that we don't want to sign any FA QB longterm primarily because they like what they see in our younger QB's.

agree. we have good young quarterbacks, no need to mess with this. we also have a great coach who is probably also the best quarterback coach in the nfl. now I know I refer to those two as the kids and i do not think either are starting material but at the same time(i love to talk out of both sides of my mouth) if alex goes down this coming year, i am pretty ok with our backups cuz they will be a year older, stronger and smarter
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,007
Originally posted by Joecool:
Seriously think that we don't want to sign any FA QB longterm primarily because they like what they see in our younger QB's.

agree. we have good young quarterbacks, no need to mess with this. we also have a great coach who is probably also the best quarterback coach in the nfl. now I know I refer to those two as the kids and i do not think either are starting material but at the same time(i love to talk out of both sides of my mouth) if alex goes down this coming year, i am pretty ok with our backups cuz they will be a year older, stronger and smarter
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,007
I am sorry for the double post,, i think i got caught up in my excitement in agreeing with joe
The presupposition here is that Kaepernick is the long term answer. They drafted him last year BEFORE they knew what they had in Alex, before he organized training camps and led the team to a 13-3 record and an overtime fumble away from the Super Bowl. Surely these kinds of things changes opinions within an organization over the course of a year.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Seriously think that we don't want to sign any FA QB longterm primarily because they like what they see in our younger QB's.

agree. we have good young quarterbacks, no need to mess with this. we also have a great coach who is probably also the best quarterback coach in the nfl. now I know I refer to those two as the kids and i do not think either are starting material but at the same time(i love to talk out of both sides of my mouth) if alex goes down this coming year, i am pretty ok with our backups cuz they will be a year older, stronger and smarter



Don't even care if we sign Manning or Smith as long as it leads to an agreeable amount of years to the point where Kaep/Tolzien development in taking over.