There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If Kaepernick is going to be the long-term answer at QB anyway, why keep Smith?

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
yup, they even tried to get hasselbeck
is that really true donnie or was that just wishfull talk by steve young

Hasselbeck confirmed it himself after signing with the Titans, openly admitted that he turned us down due to the question marks/gaps/transition of our o-line at that time (compared to Tennessee's). -But, we were only going in that direction because there was doubt Alex even wanted to come back here at that time (due to the coaching transition). -This was before Harbaugh went to kiss the baby.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by Redgoldknight:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
I don't think he was ever considered the QB of the future. Just because he was a 2nd round pick doesn't mean he was picked to be the starter ever.

What the heck are you smoking? I'm assuming some of the 'The Humbolt Imports'! Of course the 49ers intentions were to draft CK7 as the QB of the short and distant future. No team jumps up almost 15 spots in the draft, gives up there 2nd and 4th round pick to get a guy. The grand design of it is Harbaugh and Baalke were trying to trade up for CK7 in the 1st round with New England. But the pats wouldn't budge. When we drafted Kaps Harbuagh and Baalke made it clear that was there guy all along(Watch the press conferance)
Whatever, time will tell.

BTW had we not picked CK, we could have had Torrey Smith.

lol that was such a waste of a pick, Torrey Smith would've helped A LOT.
My thoughts would be why would a team 1 mistake away from a SB appearance (and likely win) change QBs? IMO if we go to Kaepernick this year we probably concede this season. It would be a learning year for him. He's careless with the ball and what we did last year was all about protecting the ball and playing field position. We aren't a 5 win team anymore... we have something to lose. Don't get me wrong though I definitely want to sign Alex to a 2 or 3 year deal. I have been a supporter of his since day 1 but by all means I don't want to see him with a 6 year deal worth 60 million. 2 or 3 years to me is fair.. he has to prove himself...
Originally posted by 49erfoeva:
Originally posted by sfout:
IMO you shouldn't just say we'd sign Manning, sure Manning is a HOF QB but he is one good licking away from a broken neck or concussion that would end his career. Even if we signed him a $2M base contract with $30M in incentives it makes no sense to add in such a wildcard.

If by some strange incident Alex leaves us we will probably push for Josh Johnson as another stop gap for Kaepernick. But yes Alex could have another 10 years in SF if he continues to improve and leads us to a super bowl or 2. So I understand the confusion as to why we apparently aren't willing to give him a 5 year deal when we think he is the guy, even if we sign him to this "mega deal" we can always cut him in a 2 or 3 years and he will miss out on a huge chunk of cash.

I personally dont think it is the length but the way the deal is structure that is holding it up. I'm not a reporter and I dont have the "sources" that these guys have but Baalke obviously likes backloaded or incentive based deals with a good chunk of guaranteed cash up front so maybe Tom Condon is looking at a 5 year 30M deal with a 8M signing bonus but only a 2M base salary for the next 3 years and then all of a sudden his salary sky rockets to 8M during the 4th and 5th years when Alex would be very expendable if Kaepernick has progressed. I think Alex and Condon want an evenly structured long term deal more then simply having a long term deal. Alex probably wants to actually get 6 or 7M a year not just average but actually per year.

But again to reiterate if we somehow lost Alex Smith to free agency we would probably sign Josh Johnson to stopgap for Kaepernick.

why would alex walk? I can't imagine any other team bidding for his starting qb services
Doesn't the bold text above just about say it all? No matter what JH does in his work with AS he is going to be AS. Whatever coz we will see what Kap & Tolzien have this off season through OTA-TC and preseason, gonna be fun to see I think..
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Mar 7, 2012 at 8:08 PM ]
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
I work at 24 hr fitness over here in Livermore and this huge guy came in the other day with a wolf pack football workout shirt on and I asked of he played football for Nevada and he said yeah that he played o line with kaep. He said harbaughs cousin is a coach on the wolfpacks football team and that is how he found out about kaep in the first place. Also he said he doesn't think kaep will ever do anything in the nfl. He said even if he starts that he prolly wouldn't be any good. I'm not agreeing with him but I thought it was interesting that someone that played with him said this

I know for sure this is a bunch of BS because Harbaugh does not have a relative that is now nor ever has been a coach for Nevada.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
There is a very simple answer to this question.

Because Smith is the short - term answer
[ Edited by ImaMod on Mar 7, 2012 at 8:40 PM ]
Originally posted by ImaMod:
There is a very simple question to this answer.

Originally posted by Bali-Niner:

Short term, maybe long term, maybe no term is Seattle offers him a ton of money and allows him to be the OC.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Short term, maybe long term, maybe no term is Seattle offers him a ton of money and allows him to be the OC.

If the 49ers offer Alex $3 and Seattle offers him $5, Alex would still choose the 49ers imo.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
yup, they even tried to get hasselbeck
is that really true donnie or was that just wishfull talk by steve young

it's straight fact homie

Yeah right
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Oh look another Peyton Manning, Alex Smith thread

No, its about Kaepernick and the long-term plans of the franchise

If Manning was signed by the 49ers:

1) The team would acquire on of the best QBs ever.

2) The team would lose: its chemistry; the cohesiveness the players have as a team; the experience of the coaching staff (because Manning would insist on calling his own plays and coaching on the field); the trust that the FO and coaching staff have built up with the players; most of their cap space, making the team unable to sign a big name receiver, their draft picks, and also be a player in free agency... oh, and that means goodbye Carlos Rogers, too, etc.

Personally, I don't think it is worth it... apparently, Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh agree with me.
[ Edited by longtime49erfan on Mar 8, 2012 at 12:33 AM ]

I assume you are referring to Peyton Manning and not Alex Smith.

Manning could care less about the money. Wherever he goes, he will receive a LOT of money. A few million here or there won't be what decides his next team for him. I suspect he will end up in Miami, or perhaps Washington. But I doubt he will go to Seattle.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We'd all like to see what Kap can do. But, he's a victim of circumstance right now. He still has a chance to be the starter if Smith regresses in the next couple of years.
There is a very simple answer to this question.

This could be it. Pretty much what I was stating back on the first page. IF it comes to be that Kaep is ready and outshines Alex, They can release him. It's not a problem in the NFL